To all you Xw-20 doubters out there…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally think you can not make a one viscosity statement fits all vehicles statement. There is more to wear than main bearing MOFT at operating temperature.

I honestly believe the Europeans got the oil specs correct. HTHS >= 3.5 is the minimum HTHS for many of their specs.
Once my stash of PP High Mileage 5W-30 is used up, I'm going to transition my vehicles to Castrol Euro 5W-30 A3/B4 with HTHS = 3.5.

Last edited:
Your link is totally unrelated to the topic...
Xw-20 grade? Wear? And how wear happens? According to the article wear will always happen, in the bearing. Oil starvation section, improper oil film. The point I need to make is per the article is I can not find any reference to bearing wear due to using Xw-20. (the recommended oil weight) It is not a factor in accelerated wear. (page 21)

Last edited:
Xw-20 grade? Wear? And how wear happens? According to the article wear will always happen, in the bearing. Oil starvation section, improper oil film. The point I need to make is per the article is I can not find any reference to bearing wear due to using Xw-20. (the recommended oil weight) It is not a factor in accelerated wear. (page 21)
MAJOR CAUSES OF PREMATURE BEARING FAILURE
Dirt 45.4%
Misassembly 12.8%
Misalignment 12.6%
Insufficient Lubrication 11.4%
Overloading 8.1%
Corrosion .3.7%
Improper Journal Finish 3.2%
Other .2.8%

MAJOR CAUSES OF PREMATURE BEARING FAILURE
Dirt 45.4%
Misassembly 12.8%
Misalignment 12.6%
Insufficient Lubrication 11.4%
Overloading 8.1%
Corrosion .3.7%
Improper Journal Finish 3.2%
Other .2.8%
Since dirt is responsible for 45.4% of premature bearing failure - That would make a case for using highest efficiency filtration for air filter and oil filter, right?

Since dirt is responsible for 45.4% of premature bearing failure - That would make a case for using highest efficiency filtration for air filter and oil filter, right?
No, your high efficiency filter is going to load up and stop flowing oil (or air) quicker than the "garbage" filters I use. Then you risk oil starvation (#4) and oil bypass (#1).

What is meant, in the article, is poor maintenance. Not "better" filters.

No, your high efficiency filter is going to load up and stop flowing oil (or air) quicker than the "garbage" filters I use. Then you risk oil starvation (#4) and oil bypass (#1).

I run Fram Ultra Synthetic high capacity filters designed to have enough room inside the filter to hold particles for 20,000 mile oil changes.
My oil change interval is only 4,000 miles.
So I doubt one of my filters would ever go into bypass. The synthetic media provides high flow + high filtration, so you get the best of both worlds.
Having the cleanest possible oil is always best for the engine.

If you are using garbage filters with low efficiency, imagine all those extra particles in your oil that can potentially wear down the bearings when the oil with those extra particles is getting in between your moving parts. This is exaserbated if you are using a 20 weight or thinner oil, where film thickness is less, and particles in the oil in between bearing metal surfaces during high RPM situations can really cause wear.

Most of the high efficiency oil filters (at least the synthetic media ones) have higher holding capacity than their cheap cellulose cousins, lol.

On the air filter front, there isn't much better available than OE cheap cellulose in terms of efficiency unless you are talking like the Donaldson Powercore, which has a limited list of applications.

A bypass oil filter would work without reduction of flow. Dirt is dislodged when the full flow oil filter bypass opens. Cold oil (thicker) can cause the bypass to open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back