To all you Xw-20 doubters out there…

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will start by saying I normally run 5w-30 in my Sierra which calls for 0w-20. Not looking to start yet another thick vs thin argument. But had to share this.

I came across this group on FB:https://www.facebook.com/groups/938184509942736/?ref=share&mibextid=S66gvF

One post was about an almost million mile Accord, run it’s whole life on 5w-20, and mostly Mobil 1 at 15k intervals: https://www.driveaccord.net/threads...TYp5sI7jMPwQ5jVPG868CMlYoV8PG_yXywWa9LbfBDTYA
Well it is a Honda.... :)

Lots of repairs to keep this car on the road, as there would be with any car with those miles. Timing belt helps since it is a service item vs timing chains which are expensive to replace. Most cars are scrapped for reasons other than engine failure.

my 07 with a 2.4 had 386000 when I traded it in...Great car....
The Civic's are no slouch either, I have a friend that either has or had an 06 or 07 Accord but was wanting to sell it but don't know if he had or not.

I have 2x Civic's, the 97 has 224k but the 99 has 272k, just keep oil in them and make sure the timing belts get changed on time they will practically run forever.

Doubters gonna doubt, regardless of the evidence.

I've had outstanding UOAs using Xw-20 grades. There's no doubt in my mind.

I work in the heavy diesel segment and the argument there is 10w-30 vs 15w-40. We’ve mainly switched to using 10w-30 exclusively over the years simply because it better suits our northern climate. We’ve used 10w-30 without issue for millions of operating hours, yet there’s always those who INSIST that a diesel needs 15w-40 🙄

Last edited:
That thread is liquid gold to someone like me, who loves high mileage tutorials....and this one actually demonstrates just how hard/how much work it takes. Too often people say...oh yeah, I have 500,000 miles on my car, all I did was brakes and tires. Bull, their memory is very weak. It takes work, effort and $$$.

And it's nice to hear that the 5W20 went the distance.

I will start by saying I normally run 5w-30 in my Sierra which calls for 0w-20. Not looking to start yet another thick vs thin argument. But had to share this.

I came across this group on FB:https://www.facebook.com/groups/938184509942736/?ref=share&mibextid=S66gvF

One post was about an almost million mile Accord, run it’s whole life on 5w-20, and mostly Mobil 1 at 15k intervals: https://www.driveaccord.net/threads...TYp5sI7jMPwQ5jVPG868CMlYoV8PG_yXywWa9LbfBDTYA

What would be nice is if this person that you are talking about could come here and post on Bitog! This person does live in Texas, would love to see a car from New York or Long Island go almost a million miles on 5W-20

would love to see a car from New York or Long Island go almost a million miles on 5W-20
The engine could absolutely go that long no matter where it's at or from. The rest of the car, maybe not.... My '99 only had 240k miles on it but the engine was still running pretty **** good. The underbody was going away though.... Brake lines rusted out, fuel lines rusted out, and when I had to replace some odds and ends suspension links, etc, it was a futile effort trying to "unbolt" anything.

The engine could absolutely go that long no matter where it's at or from. The rest of the car, maybe not.... My '99 only had 240k miles on it but the engine was still running pretty **** good. The underbody was going away though.... Brake lines rusted out, fuel lines rusted out, and when I had to replace some odds and ends suspension links, etc, it was a futile effort trying to "unbolt" anything.

We can agree to disagree, but claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. Lets put it another way, todays so called thicker oils like 5W-20, 5W-30 flow down well enough where you live in Ohio that a 0W-20 oil is not really needed. I am guilty of using a 0W-30 oil but I got it for the price point versus the 5W-30 which was more expensive.

For me 5W-30 or maybe even 10W-30 would be the perfect oil, then again I have read that the shearing thing is a mute point to a certain extent with the wider viscosity oils.

We have like 1 or 2 nights here where the temps get down in the single numbers, so a few years ago I did an outside test, not a freezer test. The temps were going down to like 0 degrees. I did my little so called pour test but not a real pump test. All of the oils used were Pennzoil Platinum, 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30

The 0W-20 , 5W-20, and 5W-30 flowed the same and the 10W-30 was slightly slower. Be careful about what you read on Facebook!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back