Three Year Old Oil>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there...
grin2.gif

I inherited an anniversary edition, 2003 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic. The bike has been garaged since winter of 2005, and has not been started since.

I am going to finally see it, in several weeks. Should the oil be changed, before we try to start it?
54.gif

Also, what is the most popular fill for this type of Harley?

The motor has 33K highway miles, and was pampered by the owner. I am going to try to sell this bike at some point, and was curious also if that many miles, will cost me a lot of $$$.

It also features a Harley custom paint job, sheep-skin seat covers, leather saddle bags, and two Bell Magnum helmets.

Thanks for any help!
thankyou2.gif

Are those the original Bell Magnums from the 1980's? There are a few ebay auctions where they fetch a fair amount of money for their collectible value. Brings me back to my high school days when I longed for a Honda 500 Interceptor!

But if they really that old I would not actually wear them for protection.

how long do you plan on keeping the bike?
that much time it is not a bad idea to change.
I would crank it up first and let it reach operating temps and then do the drain.
the most popular oil for Harley? hard to say I would say Harleys own brand.
I know the recommended weight is 20w50

Originally Posted By: Lorenzo
Are those the original Bell Magnums from the 1980's? There are a few ebay auctions where they fetch a fair amount of money for their collectible value. Brings me back to my high school days when I longed for a Honda 500 Interceptor!

But if they really that old I would not actually wear them for protection.

I will have to check on the Bells. They could be that old. The gentleman that passed was riding back then, and I know he liked to ride with his wife hanging on. Thanks for the heads-up.

Looks like I will start her then, and change the oil. Since I don't plan to keep it, I don't think Harly brand juice is worth the extra $. I assume you pay for the logo. Likely just Quaker State anyway.
wink.gif

My friend has a 03 flht,he rides about 600 mile a year if he is lucky.he changes the oil every 2 years.

Originally Posted By: harley145000
ulver why do anything to it if your going to sell it?harley oil is made by citgo.

Cheap peace of mind I guess. I don't want to sell it to someone, and they return with a bad motor in three months, because the oil was gunk.

I'd tend to agree with what Lazaro said. Maybe do a quick visual on the dipstick but it should not have degraded to complete junk. Start her up and run it for about 10 minutes or if you feel comfortable with it ride it around the area for 10 or 15 minutes. Then drain all three fluids and service per the manual. There are a lot of oil polls at various HD sites. The polls may be skewed by all those that sell a certain brand that starts with an A but the HD Syn 3, Mobil Vtwin, and Amsoil MCV are probably the most popular and none of these are cheap. The HD syn 3 is a decent oil but not worth the money compared to the other two. M1 15W50 auto at Walmart is very popular as well and half the price of the others in the 5 Qt jug. Put a gear oil (70W90) in the transmission and probably HD Formula + in the primary. The new API ratings have resulted in reduced ZDDP in even the 20W50 name brand dino oils. Castrol themselves have recommended not using GTX in a Harley anymore. So personnally I would not go there.

I meant 75W90 in the tranny. And I would make it a syn while I'm at it. Just say NO to the idea of motor oil in the tranny. It's gonna come up!

Change the engine oil & filter with HD360 20w50, Primary should be changed with HD Formula Plus and put a GL5 75w90 gear lube in the trans. If you have never changed oil on a Harley have it done by someone who has. Torque specs on the drain bolts & primary inspection cover are important.

FWIW, if properly maintained, that engine should go 100k plus. If you keep it get a factory service manual. If the gas is bad, drain it and replace with fresh fuel before you start it. Then run 4 oz of redline s-1 cleaner through a couple of tanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: harley145000
My friend has a 03 flht,he rides about 600 mile a year if he is lucky.he changes the oil every 2 years.

Ugh! He should be using a dino 20w50 with an annual change.

I agree pt1,but he says,"it will be ok"I know for a fact the trans. and primary fluid were changed only 1 time at the 1,000 mile service.

At some point in life he will probably say that the HD MoCo makes a piece of junk based on the experience of having his motor or drive train degrading / failing. I'm surprised his brake or clutch cable have not frozen up since I can't imagine he lubes those either. Or maybe he will sell it to some unsuspecting soul. If you wanted to do it cheap you could change all three fluids and the filter for $25 and have an excuse to drink a couple of beers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back