I'm 60 years old

I worked in healthcare and noticed the folks in the Cath Lab and Physical Therapy are the happiest people in the entire hospital.

Off Topic:
10 years ago I was working on cardiac balloon pumps and heart-lung perfusion equipment.

The call can be brutal at some hospitals, and the hours long. Those that don't like it , don't last there. 33 years in the cathlab.

Yes! Imagine being in your 20's or 30's and knowing what you know in your 60's?
When I was a kid, I knew what I wanted by now and have attained it. By kid, I mean a teenager. Will see how 60 pans out if I live that long. I hope you're around to discuss. Very little in life has surprised me or not gone according to how I planned it. There is still plenty of time for it to get sideways, though, so we will see! Time is the great arbiter.

I worked in healthcare and noticed the folks in the Cath Lab and Physical Therapy are the happiest people in the entire hospital.

Off Topic:
10 years ago I was working on cardiac balloon pumps and heart-lung perfusion equipment.
Because its momentary/procedural interaction. It's waltzing in, dealing with an isolated and specific issue, and then turning patient care over to others. Very niche and remote from ongoing care. I agree with your assessment, though, procedural in general is a lot "happier" place to work than patient care.

I retired at 69. I'll be 74 in April. Still feel good and I am active most of the time. Drove our motorhome to Cumberland Mountain State park in October to get away for5 days and went to Reasure Island in Florida in the first 2 weeks of November. Got out of there ahead of the hurricane. Got back and found out I am gonna be a grandpa for the 4th time. Still do my mechanic work and stay busy. Together we have 6 children and 4 grandkids. I know what you mean about people in hospital Cath Labs. Worked in hospital for 32 years for a major company. They wanted me to go get more training on new equipment and I told them that I had enough of that travel and training. My precious Grand daughter meant more than all that.

It`l kill you if you sit on your butt too much in retirement. 78 here next month and do all the repairs and maintenance on the old stuff. Wifes car gets whats needed at the dealer. Chronic back problem is interfering with chainsaw work and heavy lifting but no complaints. Been retired 20 years with no regrets. Feel real bad for whats coming politically.

Because its momentary/procedural interaction. It's waltzing in, dealing with an isolated and specific issue, and then turning patient care over to others. Very niche and remote from ongoing care. I agree with your assessment, though, procedural in general is a lot "happier" place to work than patient care.
Not looking to argue, but i don't think you see the true picture. Some smaller hospitals , what you say may be true. Larger ones, not so much. We receive our stemi patients straight from the field, only stopping in the ER hallway for a nasal swab, no covid results. We are frontline covid exposure potential. they are the sickest , cardiogenic shock, sometimes septic shock, and pulmonary edema. Many are code browns, and lots of emesis with the inferior MI's.

Not to mention the lead vests, and some of the highest radiation exposure in the hospital ( interventional rad techs get a lot too!)

As to our other non emergent patients, we frequently keep them for hours waiting for bed placement. Everyone rotates working through our post cath holding area. I worked friday from 06:30 am till 10pm, we took care of our patients almost a whole shift waiting for beds. The same care they would get on the ICU or the floor. Balloon pumps, impella, vents.

I think the the happiness comes from enjoying and appreciating the different skill sets around you. I have deep respect for the floor nurses, and the number of patients they take care of. The ER staff, is frontline for covid everyday, they get all of the sickest, and hold for beds like we do, even with the behavioral health patients. I don't know how they do it really. The eviromental staff really get the worst messes to take care of. Even the accounting and billing staff, are important, so we can all stay fiscally sound and employed.

My role is no more important than any other hospital role, just different. It has its own necessary skill sets and positives and negatives.

I am but one link in the chain, and I will not minimize any others importance or contribution to patient care.

But its obvious from your posts you are unhappy, i hope you find happiness. You are too young at 30 something to spend the rest of your life unhappy with what you do.

Go find your calling Ws6, its out there, so many options/avenues in health care. Best of luck. I'll post about this no further in this thread.

Last edited:
Retirement. Best thing ever.
Yep.

I got up this AM and realized it was Monday morning so went back to sleep for another half hour to make up for the time I didn't have to spend commuting. Did 23 years military then 11 more in federal civil service. Retired twice. I'm in reasonable shape and sometimes I wish I had another Jay-Oh-Bee but the money won't mean anything to me now. It would to be around people more.

So if you do it right and get just a wee bit lucky, retirement is like being confused occasionally what day it is but knowing it doesn't matter. 🦈

Yep.

I got up this AM and realized it was Monday morning so went back to sleep for another half hour to make up for the time I didn't have to spend commuting. Did 23 years military then 11 more in federal civil service. Retired twice. I'm in reasonable shape and sometimes I wish I had another Jay-Oh-Bee but the money won't mean anything to me now. It would simply be to be around people more.

So if you do it right and get just a wee bit lucky, retirement is like being confused occasionally what day it is but knowing it doesn't matter. 🦈
I'm not retired and I'm confused as to what day it is, lol.

I work nights, weekends, weekdays, holidays are meaningless to me, it all just blurrs.

Back