I'm 60 years old

Maybe 2021 there will be a career change for you ?
Possible but doubtful. 2022 is more likely. My job isn't letting me go anywhere this year is the general consensus among my higher ups. I don't think they would sabotage me, but I would not get what I want out of the deal, either, I don't think. Noone wants the pencil pushing dead weight behind a desk or managing some matrixes right now. They want someone who can and will and does solve the problems.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JC1
55, semi retired. Love the freedom but hate my body does not want to cooperate :)

Wish my wife would retire. We own a business together but she is the talent. Sometimes 70hrs a week, I try and tell her it's not worth it but she is OCD and driven. Lately I think I am getting through to her.

I've been very lucky in the past decade with finances and other stuff, I want to enjoy my remaining time. Fortunately after 26+ years I still consider my wife my best friend and want to do things with her but she just wont stop taking on new projects

Reactions: Ws6
Now that I reached my 60's and can basically do whatever I like, I'd rather be younger. ;)
Yeah, because you have all these ideas as a 60 year old how not to waste those younger years. That's how life works. Except at 34, I'd do whatever it took to never be a kid again.

Just turn 58, I did enjoy working but over the years the corporation B.S got to be much worst than the job itself. I see working as a balance in life but at the end it was all tilted to them and not enough for us workers and left at 52.

No regrets at all and I hope the best is yet to come in the future years.

NOTE: Just like in real state location, location determines the life style that you can have in retirement. In the US, I live a simple life style, same money in Mexico I feel rich and in Philippines I am a KING.

....No more having to stay out till the wee hours with ungrateful customers, pretending you like them & getting totally wrecked.

One of the parts of my job I hate and an occupational hazard...

I don't mind getting wrecked once in a great while, but with people you hate it sucks...

However, some of the retired guys I know on the younger side tend to just go to bars everyday (when they're open)...

Yeah, because you have all these ideas as a 60 year old how not to waste those younger years. That's how life works. Except at 34, I'd do whatever it took to never be a kid again.
Yes! Imagine being in your 20's or 30's and knowing what you know in your 60's?

Yes! Imagine being in your 20's or 30's and knowing what you know in your 60's?
Realistically, I am 34, and I wouldn't change a whole lot from when I was 14. A few things, sure, but by and large, not a lot. Yes, I hate my career, but I won't lie, it pays well and it has afforded me some really cool things at a relatively young age. Sure, I traded a bit of my soul, but I don't believe in heaven or hell, so I'm not really out a whole lot there, lol!

Realistically, I am 34, and I wouldn't change a whole lot from when I was 14. A few things, sure, but by and large, not a lot. Yes, I hate my career, but I won't lie, it pays well and it has afforded me some really cool things at a relatively young age. Sure, I traded a bit of my soul, but I don't believe in heaven or hell, so I'm not really out a whole lot there, lol!
I hope I'm around when you're my age. I'd love to have this conversation with you then.

I'm 67 and in my first year of retirement, 22 yrs of Naval service and 26 yrs at a WalMart DC. started out great but then the pandemic hit and put a stop to all our traveling plans, can't complain too much as it's nice being home with the wife who is also retired. Feel good and in good health just the old bones creak and groan a little louder. Greatful and thank the Good Lord for another day.

I'm 57 and will be retiring in a few months. Dialysis is a possibility within the next ten years or so, but I do feel great now. The GM asks me once a week or so if I would stay longer, or be willing to return part time after a break. I've thanked him and said that I would consider returning after a break. In truth, I have no interest in returning at all at this point, I'm just counting down the months and weeks until retirement. I want a slower pace, and am looking forward to the free time. Spending more time with friends and family, getaways with my wife, road trips on my bike, etc. I'll be looking for things to keep busy, and my wife has about a hundred small 'projects' around the house and yard for me, so that should work out pretty good :).

I resigned/retired last April at 67 after 37 years in building codes. I bought a home in Utah and planned on getting a part time job. I had too much time on my hands. I always liked work. After 5 months I am back at work full time at the local Building Dept. I am much happier but that’s just me.

What do you do for a living ?

Thats great you enjoy your profession.
I'm a cardiac cathlab supervisor. I really enjoy the patient care. It's an honor to take care of others. As i like to say, if you are in healthcare, and don't enjoy it, go find something else to do. As you will not be good at it.

I'm a cardiac cathlab supervisor. I really enjoy the patient care. It's an honor to take care of others. As i like to say, if you are in healthcare, and don't enjoy it, go find something else to do. As you will not be good at it.
You can do EXCELLENT work and be great with patients and not like at all what you do. You may "like to say it", but that doesn't make it a fact.

I'm 69 and while I'm not particularly eager to get up most mornings, I've got a good job and making more money than ever so it would be foolish for me to retire at this time. I tell myself that I'll work for three more years, banking some more money, then move to a warmer climate with a lower cost of living. That's my plan now.

I worked in healthcare and noticed the folks in the Cath Lab and Physical Therapy are the happiest people in the entire hospital.

Off Topic:
10 years ago I was working on cardiac balloon pumps and heart-lung perfusion equipment.

Reactions: Ws6
Back