I'm 60 years old

I turned 60 in July of 2018. I have to say, it makes you think. I have no plans to retire, and that is not one of my goals, in and of itself. I can't afford to retire at this point, so it's a good thing that I like my work. I expect to work for at least another 10 years, but since I don't know what the future will bring, who knows?

As I mentioned in another thread, the older I get the heavier the music I like. For instance, I had to travel this morning to a city about 50 miles from my home to see a business associate, and i listened to Periphery on the way up and back. Could have been Static-X, or Devin Townsend, or Pantera, but this time it was Periphery. Not sure if this music is typically popular with 60-year-olds, but probably more that you would imagine.

While I wouldn't mind dying tomorrow, for reasons that I can't go into since they would violate board rules, I also have a lot to live for. I'm currently working on learning the guitar, after playing it some in my twenties, and having been a bass player for nearly 40 years. I'm also learning Spanish, and I'm determined to become fluent. The Mexicans (actually Mexican Americans, or even Americans of Mexican descent), think it's cool that I want to learn Spanish, and they are a lot of help. I also have a family that I don't want to leave yet, having been married to the same woman for almost 37 years, and adult children that I enjoy interacting with.

My mother lived until she was 81, my dad almost made it to 86. Not sure I want to live that long. While I'm not afraid of dying, I am somewhat afraid of getting old. I'm hoping that my musical pursuits along with learning Spanish, will help me avoid the sort of dementia that my dad had. His memory was already not that great when he was my age, but the dementia didn't really get rolling until a year or two before he died. During the last months of his life, he didn't know who he was, let alone who I was. He did know that I was someone important in his life, just not exactly who. He didn't forget everything, though - he used to lead sing-a-longs with his ukulele for the other people in his memory care facility until a couple of weeks before his passing. Also read his Bible every day.

I don't heal as quickly as I used to. I did something to my back about two months ago while I was working on my truck. I had to hire a guy I know to put the valve covers back on, since it was too painful to try. I'll be getting physical therapy soon, but the chiropractor has done me a great deal of good. Still somewhat stiff, though.

A coworker of mine who is a few years younger has already had open heart surgery to replace a heart valve, and he is afflicted with gout, and really bad allergies. I'm very thankful that I have so far not experienced these things. My mother also had arthritis as far back as I can remember, and also was diagnosed with fibromyalgia (she did have a lot of aches and pains), and I have also been fortunate to mostly not experience these things so far. Sure, I have aches and pains, but so does everyone.

So what's it like to turn 60? I can't really tell you, as we are all individuals. A fair number of people don't even make it this far. For me, it was a celebration. I found it exciting, for reasons that I can't really articulate. We rented a cabin up by a local lake the weekend of my birthday, and my local kids came by and we fished and hung out and whatnot. A very fond memory.

While I am only 56 this year I feel that work is good for you. Over the years I have witnessed too many guys retire only to die a few years later. I plan on working for as long as they will have me. I even told my boss this a few weeks ago and he happen to agree with my way of thinking. I enjoy my job and the people that I work with. First job that has been this way for me. Good luck with your back!

I'll turn 60 in July 2019. I like head banging music as well. I had to retire in August 2017. My dad was going down hill and my health isn't that great. I wasn't going to put him in a nursing home. I was shot in a hunting accident in 2002 and it's been tough for me. Being shot through the upper right abdomen with a 30.06 ain't no picnic. There was a positive note to being severely injured, I quit smoking cigarettes. So, things can always be worse. Keep the faith and enjoy.

Just about to turn 63. Stopped work at 53. The last ten years have been utterly brilliant! No long hours. No stress. No more endless traipsing through airports. No more brain dead managers & directors in my life. No sharp elbowed 30-somethings telling me how to suck eggs & wanting to write my 'stretch' objectives for the coming year. No more having to stay out till the wee hours with ungrateful customers, pretending you like them & getting totally wrecked.

Yep, being in your 60s is fab!

Last edited:
I'll be 75 in a month. I retired at 62. I'm not rich but we aren't wondering where the next meal is coming from or if we'll need a new tent next year. Other than utilities, groceries and taxes everything is paid for. Some of my friends are still working but it is from necessity. But the fact is unavoidable retire if you can afford to you're not going to be around forever. You've paid a ton of money on taxes etc. don't hand that big bonus of not paying for that SS over to the government. Put your estate into a trust the government has already taxed you more than their worth.

Last edited:
77 next week and work most weekdays cleaning carpets no helper. Been cleaning for 38 yrs and still really love cleaning. The harder I work the better I feel . Yes I'm tired at the end of the day but I know why. Don't know when I will retire. I know I can outwork most guys half my age. Thanks to great genes not Levis ha ha. I have high BP and a few other things but can't complain feel great most days and sleep without any problems. Also music keeps me going play the drums around town with a few groups. Life is great .

I'll be 62 soon and only slightly recognize the name Pantera but couldn't name a song. The music I liked in my youth I still like, Zep, The Who, Robin Trower, early Eagles, New Riders, Jerry Jeff Walker (? huh), Harry Chapin. Still in good shape but not liking work much anymore and losing my son 4 years ago took the wind out of the sails. Still.

As for all the rest, getting old ain't for sissies.

My mom just retired at 84, you have a long way to go! She's a gym rat and (still!) has a 6-pack. Kept up with the teenage grandkids hiking in the Cascades. Amazing!

I am 72 and I retired at 54. Do the math. I kept busy. And I enjoy retirement.

I remember when I turned 60 I was depressed bc of it. Got over it.

At turning 55, age began to be in my thoughts more. I don't want to think about it too much, but I sure do when my body "speaks" to me, LOL. This is what I posted a few months ago. As for 60, see the bold.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Fighting with my 20 year old son keeps me physically sharp, I suppose. I have a significant weight advantage on him but he has the speed and endurance advantage by far. We wrestle hard until someone is pinned down or otherwise needs to stop. Its totally all in fun but pretty intense at times when he gets all jacked up trying to whip his old Dad. I still win lots but I had to give in last time. The dude nailed me with a wicked kidney punch. It hurt me and I was bruised for days. My wife thinks we are crazy, especially after breaking one of her kitchen chairs last year. We have to fight outside now, go figure, LOL.

Here we are, if anyone is curious. I tell him once I turn 60 and he turns 25, the games are over. I don't want to visit the ER. LOL.

https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn....579327a1c99cbc5d1d6d4596&oe=5C565FDE

Wow, you guys are awesome! I appreciate all of the comments, and I have to say, jackz, you're an inspiration. My doctor is 78, he is another inspiration. Sharper than most people half his age. Just wants to continue seeing the patients he's had for decades.

I'm a plumbing foreman, currently working for a mechanical company doing light to heavy commercial work. As the foreman, I can get the kids to do the heavy lifting. I still pick up the tools occasionally, when I run out of "foreman stuff" to do.

O-to be 60 again. I jam a month away from turning 81. I still change my own oil/filter but, nothing much else. There was a time when I rebuilt engines and transmissions, did brake jobs etc on my vehicles. Be glad you're only 60. Ed

Hey Stelth, thanks for sharing the 60 something experience! I tell people that I will retire in 3 years at 66, but I could retire tomorrow if needed or might even go longer if the enjoyment continues. I can pretty much fulfill my recreational and other needs now, so I don't require retirement to start new pursuits. I am enjoying my career more than ever and I don't fret over things like I did when younger. That's a nice place to be. But, everyone is different and have different situations, wants, and needs. To each his own.

I, too, am thankful for my relatively good health. At work, I'm still out doing field work enough to get exercise and fresh air, but last summer while working with some 20 something farm type students I really noticed that I could not keep up with them anymore - the hare vs. tortoise type of thing. My wife's health is degenerating due to a car accident 10 years ago and that changes retirement plans a lot. At this age you also see lots of other ailments and hardships knocking people down around you. I wish I had this amount of wisdom back in my younger years. How much time wasted on non important things.

It's a good time to get your affairs in order -, will, funeral plans, etc.. Thanks again for the enlightening post. Take care all you old duffers (I still act like a kid often).

Will be 73 in April if I do not do anything dangerous, lol.....I am a survivor of the Viet Nam War, 23 of some friends and buddies did not make it ..no complaints, can still ride a bicycle, hit a golf ball, and walking well so far, yep I retired and so far so good, do not miss the rat race and the stupidity that goes with that..lol

I do get VA healthcare,,,I paid for it, it was my choice, volunteer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
I am 66 years old I hate it. I would love to be invincible again.

If your not disabled , start walking when you can, its a start,,, no one is bulletproof,,it happens, we get older, lol

Originally Posted by CT8
I am 66 years old I hate it. I would love to be invincible again.

Don't say that. I am half your age and after 3 intense workout days I feel like grinded death. A simple calf pull sidelined me from my cardio for 8 days and I wanted to jump out of my skin.

Back