Mobil1 Synthetic vs Mystik JT8 Semi Synthetic, run cooler? My test r

Originally Posted by Jimiii
The 57148 is the 5 micron filter. Not for the evo's. They do make one for the evo's, I think those use a 30 micron filter due there extremely low oil pressure. Wix is a solid filter with what many believe "the best bypass design " in the industry. With the heavy (20-50) oil, it is likely the filter goes into bypass on startup. The wix design eliminates the bypass oil from washing over the outside of the filter, carrying the crap it has filtered out into the engine. So I have been told by a high end mechanic ( auto), who I trust.

I am using the Wix on my 1988 FLHS right now. No issues. I am sure you can use it on an Evo. It's had all kinds of filters on it in the past 32 years
smile.gif

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Wow!
How can that be?
I just checked Rock Auto, your right, $7 everyone else is 5+ more and HD OEM is up to $13 at the dealer.
Nice, thanks for the post.

Jim and I assume the Wix is for the touring bikes, on the run right now but believe that is true.
I don't know what bikes you guys are riding
WIX57148 I assume will be correct fir the 14 Rushmore bikes, easy fir me to check, just can't right now

Just remember the shipping adds to the cost but they will end up cheaper than going to a dealer. I assume it fits all Harleys with a spin on oil filter but do your own diligence

Last edited:
Hi, any more updates on your temperature quest?

No, pretty much, that one trip to the beach took care of my curiosity. We have been out riding, around "town" ect, weather has been mostly good 95+ degrees and locally not seeing much temperature difference, I do need another long run on the interstate.
We actually were on vacation a week ago in N Myrtle Beach but took my SUV :eek:)

I may go back to the Smoky Mountains in August, not sure yet, been there soooo many times that, nothing is "new" anymore. Maggie Valley, Tail of the Dragon, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and a lot of waterfalls ect ... ect ...
Its an awesome ride, that I am ALWAYS THRILLED to take, but "done that" ... the one reason to return besides the awesome mountains and ride might be that we never tire of White Water Rafting. I just dont know yet, possibly return to Myrtle Beach again, maybe with the bike.

I do know, Im almost 100% sure I will be going back to my Mystik JT8.
Remember, the Mobil 15/50 was just a fun test, curious about oil temperatures, I wasnt trying to "fix" an issue, just curious if a full syn oil runs cooler then a semi syn. I think I have my answer and that would be maybe a little bit cooler but at this point I think safe to say within a main or error that it does not. Even if it did, we would be talking single digit degrees cooler.

Geeeze .. Sold my H-D a couple months back. I have 2 qts left from a 5 ga jug of M1 15w-50 and 4 qts left from 2 ga jug of Mystik JT8 15w50. The buyer is strictly an Amsoil guy and he didn't want them. Over time, I'll likely just blend them in with my 10w40 oil changes in my current C-A Spyder 1330cc SE6. I'm sure they'll do just fine ....

No, pretty much, that one trip to the beach took care of my curiosity. We have been out riding, around "town" ect, weather has been mostly good 95+ degrees and locally not seeing much temperature difference, I do need another long run on the interstate.
We actually were on vacation a week ago in N Myrtle Beach but took my SUV :eek:)

I may go back to the Smoky Mountains in August, not sure yet, been there soooo many times that, nothing is "new" anymore. Maggie Valley, Tail of the Dragon, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and a lot of waterfalls ect ... ect ...
Its an awesome ride, that I am ALWAYS THRILLED to take, but "done that" ... the one reason to return besides the awesome mountains and ride might be that we never tire of White Water Rafting. I just dont know yet, possibly return to Myrtle Beach again, maybe with the bike.

I do know, Im almost 100% sure I will be going back to my Mystik JT8.
Remember, the Mobil 15/50 was just a fun test, curious about oil temperatures, I wasnt trying to "fix" an issue, just curious if a full syn oil runs cooler then a semi syn. I think I have my answer and that would be maybe a little bit cooler but at this point I think safe to say within a main or error that it does not. Even if it did, we would be talking single digit degrees cooler.

Look forward to the analysis! See how it compares wear-wise, viscosity-wise and how the additives compare to JT8.

micron ratings for filters mean little to nothing you need a Beta ratio as noted on this forum, use don't matter. as for oils unless your paying over $10 a qt you can be sure your getting better oil but only group III synthetics, where as group IV PAO + group V Ester based oils are best for extreme heat or cold. the info you see about base oils pertain to cars, trucks, bikes + whatever but add packs are said to be different. motorcycles are hard on oils especially if shared gearbox + engines. most if not all harleys, not a harley guy-separate the oil sumps i believe, a good thing for sure

My supercharged Kawi Beastadon does just fine on M1 15-50 or shell T-6 15-40 HDEO. I honestly cannot tell a difference in the bike between M1 HDEO and the 15-40 "motorcycle" variant for $10/qt.

Back