Thoughts on Super Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TL;DR Supertech is great for the intervals specified on the bottles (or the interval in your owners manual, whichever is less) and approvals listed. Since it's a "house brand" that doesn't have a bloated Marketing/Advertising budget, you get similar performance to the name brands at a fraction of the price.

Here's a few to get you started since you're new:

There are a lot more.

TL;DR Supertech is great for the intervals specified on the bottles (or the interval in your owners manual, whichever is less) and approvals listed. Since it's a "house brand" that doesn't have a bloated Marketing/Advertising budget, you get similar performance to the name brands at a fraction of the price.
Walmart has an enormous advertising budget.

I use it all the time if I don't get something cheap on clearance or closeout. Just do a few oil changes a year and check oil level your fine. I never had a car engine go bad on this formula. My cars never went to the junkyard for a oil related reason but plenty of others

That’s not how it works with Walmart. Walmart advertises Walmart and when you’re there (because of the advertisement) you buy motor oil along with all the other things you buy at Walmart. It’s just a little disingenuous to say that these other companies have “bloated” advertising costs on their products but Walmart can sell for less because they do not. The cost of Walmart’s advertising is spread over every product they sell, that isn’t the main driver why their products cost less.

Great oil, use it a ton. I'd have zero doubts running it. I just wish they had it in a 40 grade.
They do in Canada apparently. Some of Canadian members posted pictures of Supertech 5W40 that claims to "meet the requirements" of Euro specs like Porsche A40, BMW LL-01, Mercedes-Benz 229.5/229.3, VW 501.01/502.00/505.00.

That’s not how it works with Walmart. Walmart advertises Walmart and when you’re there (because of the advertisement) you buy motor oil along with all the other things you buy at Walmart. It’s just a little disingenuous to say that these other companies have “bloated” advertising costs on their products but Walmart can sell for less because they do not. The cost of Walmart’s advertising is spread over every product they sell, that isn’t the main driver why their products cost less.

There are no Supertech influencers, race cars, race tracks, stadiums, billboards, or commercials, which is where the savings lie for that product line.

WM spends a miniscule portion of their advertising budget to these 50-ish sku's. I guarantee they spend more co-sponsoring the Quaker State 400 Presented by Walmart.

There are no Supertech influencers, race cars, race tracks, stadiums, billboards, or commercials, which is where the savings lie for that product line.

WM spends a miniscule portion of their advertising budget to these 50-ish sku's. I guarantee they spend more co-sponsoring the Quaker State 400 Presented by Walmart.
It still isn't the main driver why their product costs less.

Isn't that how all retailers work?

Isn't that how all retailers work?
Yes and no.... Walmart probably isn't a good example in this case either though since they have hundreds of thousands of items to spread the cost over. Plus, how many individual products does Walmart dedicate advertising to ? Has anyone seen a TV commercial or even internet ad for Supertech products ? Do any race cars have Supertech stickers on them or race tracks with advertising boards ?

Now, take the case of a manufacturer that only makes a small number of products. In a case like this, they could certainly factor in the cost of marketing into the product's price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back