Thoughts on Super Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, if a lack of advertising budget isn't the reason why generic products cost less than brand name alternatives, what would you factor that to?
I'd say that in general it is somewhat inferior as it does not have some of the approvals, licenses or specifications that other oils have. Beyond that, it is also true that Walmart negotiates a low price from the supplier.

it does not have some of the approvals, licenses or specifications that other oils have
Those often cost money, which in turn drives up the product's cost. It's in fact Warren that chooses not to pursue those licenses. They also look at their customer base and may decide that the lack of approvals from company "A" or "B" won't hurt them, so they skip it.

Those often cost money, which in turn drives up the product's cost. It's in fact Warren that chooses not to pursue those licenses. They also look at their customer base and may decide that the lack of approvals from company "A" or "B" won't hurt them, so they skip it.
Dexos is quite the approval.

It’s a complete wallflower

528CCAAA-607F-4768-A314-6B70E6253AB3.jpeg

It’s a complete wallflower
Did you take that picture ? That store looks like they sell no other oil ! All the stores around here have the oil on sliding racks that they load from the back too.

Did you take that picture ? That store looks like they sell no other oil ! All the stores around here have the oil on sliding racks that they load from the back too.
No it’s an internet picture … but ST is taking more shelf space in our store … moved ST to the front … former big names to back corner …
Pulled up today at what used to be the biggest Exxon fuel seller in town today- my app did not work. Then I noticed the signs and decals removed …

I think they should put "It's good 'nuff" on the bottle with some Lucas-like italics writing and a 'Murican flag.
Some have that = Dexos … but as XOM is selling them EHC - my bet is there’s lots of 80/20 in those jugs
I‘d stick with Dexos and 5k-10k depending which ST … The 20k is bound to have good base stock

but ST is taking more shelf space in our store … moved ST to the front
I haven't been in the oil aisle in a while, let alone Walmart, but I'm due for an oil change in about 1000 miles so I'll be going in soon. In recent years, at least my local store, the distribution was fairly even amongst ST and Castrol (seems to be very popular locally), then Mobil 1, Pennzoil, etc.

Reactions: 4WD
I wonder why it doesn't have Stellantis' MS6395 approval? Every other lower tier oil does. None of the ST synthetics do, last I looked.

With all the wild speculation as to what is actually in it, which generates a great deal of worthless wind, I'll ask the question that will tell us a bit more about this oil. Who wants to run it for 20k, do a UOA, and then post it up for us? It'd be really fun to see what this and M1 EP both look like in the same type of engine with a similar driving pattern both with 20k on them.

Otherwise, I'd bet that this oil looks about like "regular" ST synthetic after a typical 5k to 10k OCI, which would probably be pretty good.

I just ordered 6 quarts of 0w20 Advanced ST to store up in case oil becomes scarce at some point. But I'll probably run it in my old Jeep or my daughter's Renegade within 2 years.

I wonder why it doesn't have Stellantis' MS6395 approval? Every other lower tier oil does. None of the ST synthetics do, last I looked.

With all the wild speculation as to what is actually in it, which generates a great deal of worthless wind, I'll ask the question that will tell us a bit more about this oil. Who wants to run it for 20k, do a UOA, and then post it up for us? It'd be really fun to see what this and M1 EP both look like in the same type of engine with a similar driving pattern both with 20k on them.

Otherwise, I'd bet that this oil looks about like "regular" ST synthetic after a typical 5k to 10k OCI, which would probably be pretty good.
You go first😷

Yeah - I’m still influenced by the huge AZ clearance about 3 years ago👍🏼
Going to start the Jeep on RGT next and save the M1 AP for GDI V8 …
Same here! I'm about half through that big stash! I've got RGT 0w20 in both Wranglers and the Renegade right now! I've got enough to give each one more dose, so it'll be used up at the end of next summer. The newer Jeep has M1 EP on deck, though, just because I love that stuff!

I'd love to hear that this new ST Advanced has a good shot of PAO in it, but I'd also be shocked to hear that.

I've looked to see if Warren has a new 20k version of Mag 1 on the market but I've not seen a hint of it yet.

Reactions: 4WD
As one oil company stated there is meets expectations then there's exceed expectations. Your choice. I get clearance oil that exceeds expectations cheaper than Super tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back