Cheap Synthetic (supertech) vs big brand conventional, your pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you choose Supertech Synthetic or a big name conventional oil (Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol, QS) if they were the same price and were used for 4,500 oci?

Originally Posted by Whammo
Would you choose Supertech Synthetic or a big name conventional oil (Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol, QS) if they were the same price and were used for 4,500 oci?

Supertech Synthetic is probably just rebranded synthetic from one of those companies.

I didn't know Warren made any of the big brands of oil?

They don't. Unless you count Mag1 as a big brand.

The big brands make their own base stocks and formulate their own house brand lubricants. They also sell their base stocks to blenders like Warren who in turn will private label (SuperTech) or sell their own house brand (Mag1).

Last edited:
4500 miles is nothing for most oils in most engines … what's the engine and use patterns ?

Right now, QSUD $17.97 so I bit on that. I like the low NOACK of it. ST supposedly I heard from Gokhan ST Synthetic is using base stock from XOM. Supposedly ST Synthetic has low NOACK also. Its $15~ too

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Right now, QSUD $17.97 so I bit on that. I like the low NOACK of it. ST supposedly I heard from Gokhan ST Synthetic is using base stock from XOM. Supposedly ST Synthetic has low NOACK also. Its $15~ too

For $2 more I'll take QSUD all day long.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
The big brands make their own base stocks and formulate their own house brand lubricants. They also sell their base stocks to blenders like Warren who in turn will private label (SuperTech) or sell their own house brand (Mag1).

And the products used by the "smaller" blenders are just as a high quality as the anything else. Afton, Lubrizol, BASF and others are inferior to any other chemical company on producing and testing additive packages in relation to base oil and performance. The best retort on this forum will be nonsense about high school GPA.

Right now my Walmart Internet site shows the Supertech synthetic 5w20 @ 15.98 and Pennzoil Plat. 5W20 on rollback for $18.44
crazy2.gif
. QSUD is $17.97
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
Why put yourself through this mental anquish?

Plus, Pennzoil almost always has a $10 rebate going on - extremely easy to submit it online. But, I do agree with Dave, the flawed logic runs deep at BITOG. I think for some here it boils down to the hunt to saving pennies over an OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by donnyj08

For $2 more I'll take QSUD all day long.

This is an example of flawed logic. You are not getting close to 30% better performance. Just say you like paying more for a green bottle that is better justification.

Dave, how do you get 30% difference between $15.98 and $17.97?? Really, you're going to quibble over a $2 difference on a 4,500 mile OCI?? Both oils will perform fine, so brand choice becomes the personal decision.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Dave, how do you get 30% difference between $15.98 and $17.97?? Really, you're going to quibble over a $2 difference on a 4.500 mile OCI??

The "rollback" on PP must be over at my 3 Wal Wal Marts. All three had PP at $22.68

Last edited:
Dave, how do you get 30% difference between $15.98 and $17.97?? Really, you're going to quibble over a $2 difference on a 4.500 mile OCI??

The "rollback" on PP must be over at my 3 Wal Wal Marts. All three had PP at $22.68

I think its online only.

--

I've never had luck with SOPUS rebates, usually they dont include walmart, and I'm one of the unlucky ones that get denied/get nothing in return from them. Shoot, I'm still waiting on a QSHM rebate from 2009! Lol

--

2$ can go a long way, 2$ can pay for specs that ST might not have (even if it technically qualifies for it), back when QSUD 5w30 was ACEA A1/A5 the 2$ was worth it over the ST in a vehicle with warranty specifications for ACEA A1/A5.

It all depends on the needs of the vehicle.

Last edited:
On VWB cause i got a stock of $10+ oil change coupons. Good for 5k. Before this I used ST syn to get it around to a number divisible by 5000. Good for 6k.

The ST is better but not worth twice as much for a 5k change. I could have done a M1 change for an additional $10 over ST but didn't think it was worth it.

If I could change my own it would be cheap Group 3.

Last edited:

My bad meant to post 20%. Even at $2 there is not a 10% performance gap. It really comes down to wanting to pay a price premium for marketing. I for one currently run a name brand in my truck because I got it for the same price point as a house brand. I know running one versus the other will not increase or decrease the longevity of the engine of the same specifications are met.

If you want to pay more pay more it is a more honest to state you want to pay a premium just because.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

I think its online only.

--

I've never had luck with SOPUS rebates, usually they dont include walmart, and I'm one of the unlucky ones that get denied/get nothing in return from them. Shoot, I'm still waiting on a QSHM rebate from 2009! Lol

--

2$ can go a long way, 2$ can pay for specs that ST might not have (even if it technically qualifies for it), back when QSUD 5w30 was ACEA A1/A5 the 2$ was worth it over the ST in a vehicle with warranty specifications for ACEA A1/A5.

Gumby: online it showed all grades "rollback" to $21.78

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

I think its online only.

--

--

You mean extra $2 buys more wear, less stable, less economical and lube which sludges more because when Quaker State advertised that particular ACEA spec it was inferior to DEXOS gen 1.

Who wouldn't go with a recognized name brand given that situation?

I use Supertech, Napa or house brand synthetics because they're so much less expensive and I don't go beyond 6000mi or so between OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back