Thoughts on Super Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Costco an hour ago and it's still $30 for the 2pack of Kirkland syn. If I didn't have enough oil to last until all vehicles are electric I'd have bought some.
I’m curious to know if these formulations will be changing soon now that wpp was bought out?

…Probably not anytime soon since they would have to re-approve it for certs like SP/GF6/dexos

Is that the right Warren?

FYI, it’s now called Highline Warren so it will be easier to know which Warren we are talking about.
Highline Warren is Pritzkers new name for the former WPP....the other 'Warren' is Warren-Unilube of Dunn NC. I would use either but prefer the former WPP's products although Pritzker seems to be pricing them out of consideration. Why would I pay $26.48 for 'Highline-Warren' 20k synthetic when Castrol EP 20k is on 'Rollback' for $24.97.

Last edited:
I’m curious to know if these formulations will be changing soon now that wpp was bought out?

…Probably not anytime soon since they would have to re-approve it for certs like SP/GF6/dexos

Dexos 1 Gen 3 are coming are out soon. entirely possible that Costco's current Kirkland pricing ends once Gen 3 debuts.

Dexos 1 Gen 3 are coming are out soon. entirely possible that Costco's current Kirkland pricing ends once Gen 3 debuts.
Are we only talking pricing or availability? I doubt Costco signed up with WPP without signing a multi year agreement

Highline Warren is Pritzkers new name for the former WPP....the other 'Warren' is Warren-Unilube of Dunn NC. I would use either but prefer the former WPP's products although Pritzker seems to be pricing them out of consideration. Why would I pay $26.48 for 'Highline-Warren' 20k synthetic when Castrol EP 20k is on 'Rollback' for $24.97.
Key word here. The only price increase I see is for their 20k mile "Advanced" synthetic. Availability seems to be a bigger problem with SuperTech and others.

Is anyone else concerned about the cold crank viscosity? With colder temps this month, my car has a harder time cranking. I did not have this issue when using Pennzoil or M1. My battery is fine. Even PQIA ranks the CCV on the low side.

Is anyone else concerned about the cold crank viscosity? With colder temps this month, my car has a harder time cranking. I did not have this issue when using Pennzoil or M1. My battery is fine. Even PQIA ranks the CCV on the low side.

I've never had any cranking issues with ST conventional or otherwise. If your car has a hard time cranking in NC, something else is going on.

What temps have you encountered?

I don't. It still passes SAEJ300.

My oil will never reach -30*C/-22*F where CCV is measured. I think you are seeing a different issue

Yes, I spend the extra for Mobil1 for my daily, which, with patience, often isn't a ton more than Supertech synthetic.

Is it worth the difference? Probably not but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Other than that, I've used bunches of Supertech conventional. Pre-rebuild in the MG when I was using a quart every 100 miles(not exaggerating) I kept a 5 quart jug of Supertech 20W-50 in the trunk. I still keep a quart or two in the trunk as there's an oil leak I need to fix and have been putting off(I know where it is, but it's a pain to get access to it). It's also what I put in the transmission-admittedly that's not as demanding as engine oil, but I still trust my pricey overdrive to it(which is hydraulically activated).

If I were shopping for a used car and found one that had been fed nothing but Supertech and changed regularly, I'd choose it over one rarely changed but with a name brand oil when it was.

I say use with confidence!
I do as well, spend 6 - 8 dollars more per oil change using M1 on my '10 Sonata 2.4 I bought new, currently @ 329,600. Burns no oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back