Thoughts on Super Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with Walmarts in-house brand of oil "Super Tech" was looking at there "Full Synthetic" and "Advanced Full Synthetic"
Oil report came back pretty stout. I use the full synthetic in my 16 Yukon 5.3 DI AFM engine. I change at 5000 oci with Supertech oil filter. The report said I could try 7000 but I will stick to 5000. Report is posted in used oil analysis section

Yeah I'll never forget all those tests Project Farm did on YouTube where the Amazon Basics oil (same as SuperTech) pretty much outperformed most of the much more expensive oils. That is some good oil for a great price.

Yeah I'll never forget all those tests Project Farm did on YouTube where the Amazon Basics oil (same as SuperTech) pretty much outperformed most of the much more expensive oils. That is some good oil for a great price.
Which of course is great if your end objective is the oil passing a YouTube test. Not always so applicable to an operating ICE however.

Great point! - It really makes you wonder why Mobil 1, Amsoil and all the other oil manufactures spend millions on extensive testing when all they really needed all along was a Hot Plate and a Freezer huh...

Last edited:
His friction test is the same one Slick 50 used before getting a pile driver from the Feds for making false claims. It is not a test that replicates anything oil has to do inside an engine.

I'm not dogging Supertech. I think it is excellent oil. But to use that YouTube channel as a basis for claiming superiority is just silly.

Great point! - It really makes you wonder why Mobil 1, Amsoil and all the other oil manufactures spend millions on extensive testing when all they really needed all along was a Hot Plate and a Freezer huh...

I see the sarcasm you guys are trying to project. Unfortunately you're wrong because if you watch Gale Banks' recent visits to the Amsoil test lab you'll see that they do things the exact same way....they just use much more expensive equipment to do it.

I see the sarcasm you guys are trying to project. Unfortunately you're wrong because if you watch Gale Banks' recent visits to the Amsoil test lab you'll see that they do things the exact same way....they just use much more expensive equipment to do it.
Mhm. Some tests are used legitimately as screening or qualification tests on incoming materials but are not (or should not) to be used as an indicator of final quality. We did this all the time in the research laboratory where I used to work.

On the other hand, more expensive equipment used in an inappropriate way only gives what appears to be more precise results for worthless data. Plus the equipment is just the first step, what is more important is the operation and ultimately the relevance to a significant material property. Then comes the most important step, the mathematical analysis to obtain statistically significant data. YouTube dudes really have no clue about steps two and three.

Last edited:
His friction test is the same one Slick 50 used before getting a pile driver from the Feds for making false claims. It is not a test that replicates anything oil has to do inside an engine.

I'm not dogging Supertech. I think it is excellent oil. But to use that YouTube channel as a basis for claiming superiority is just silly.
Project Farm was prosecuted for making false claims?

Like I said before, I'd rather run Supertech than a MLM scheme oil. But that's just me.

With that said, now that it's not the cheapest option I probably won't be using it. I'm all about the cheapest option.

Very good oil produced by a good company. The oil analysis reports on here show a quality additive package at a great price.

Project Farm was prosecuted for making false claims?

Like I said before, I'd rather run Supertech than a MLM scheme oil. But that's just me.

With that said, now that it's not the cheapest option I probably won't be using it. I'm all about the cheapest option.
What? That's not what I said at all. Slick 50 was sanctioned by the Feds for false claims using the same bearing test that he uses because it is not an industry standard test and does not represent what oil is actually subjected to or designed to do in an engine. Project Farm isn't trying to sell you something and even has a disclaimer that his videos are for entertainment purposes only.

I also didn't dispute the idea that Supertech is great oil.

I like SuperTech and will continue to use it (that is if it becomes available again - see my remarks in the SuperTech price increase thread).

I had a weak moment and started to worry that there might be a shortage of [cheap] oil on the horizon, so off to Walmart I went. Very little Supertech on the shelves. Some grades completely missing. Bought a 5 litre 5W40 syn euro formula and a 5 litre 0W20 syn for $17.47 each. [$13.79 US]. They had a lot of Mobil 1 at $29.95 [$23.65us] for 5 qts. I can't see these prices holding for long. I didn't need any oil, I think I have a disease.
I doubt the cost of motor oil will be the issue we should worry about.

What? That's not what I said at all. Slick 50 was sanctioned by the Feds for false claims using the same bearing test that he uses because it is not an industry standard test and does not represent what oil is actually subjected to or designed to do in an engine. Project Farm isn't trying to sell you something and even has a disclaimer that his videos are for entertainment purposes only.

I also didn't dispute the idea that Supertech is great oil.
Got it!

I was really confused. I thought maybe slick50 did something federally against project farm .

Got it!

I was really confused. I thought maybe slick50 did something federally against project farm .
Oh, no. Sorry for any confusion. Slick 50 used to make advertisements using that bearing pressure test. It was shown that it is not representative of actual wear in an engine or a function motor oil is even designed to perform. It was not realistic. The government found that to be true and forced them to change their marketing campaign and claims. I'm not sure how Project Farm came to determine this was any kind of valid test. He probably was unaware of the case against Slick 50. Slick 50 may have even been required to reimburse customers in a very costly way to their company.

Kirkland (Costco) will probably raise their price too since both are sourced from WPP (Pritzker).
They already have but its cheaper than super Tech sometimes its a matter of what your corporate profit structure is based on and how competitive you want to be in the marketplace!

I was in Costco an hour ago and it's still $30 for the 2pack of Kirkland syn. If I didn't have enough oil to last until all vehicles are electric I'd have bought some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back