The New Fram Ultra......

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Happy talk' at this point....I'll move slowly with a open mind, I do believe they wouldn't go through all this without also making them more profitable funny they don't mention that.

One of their biggest customers may have told them, no more price increases for a year. So they had to get creative and reduce costs or expenses in other ways.

Biggest risk to these filters has to be media tearing after it becomes more restrictive, the back-up screen support was important or it wouldn't have been designed in to begin with...Hopefully the new design will perform or spose they could always bring back the screen once it doesn't pan out.

Biggest risk to these filters has to be media tearing after it becomes more restrictive
This has not been happening on other quality filters without metal backing. Perhaps if you push it to extremes going beyond 20k miles its a higher chance, but should not be the case for normal use

If you have a popular filter size, like 7317 or 9688, chances are the metal ones are already gone. :(

I'll sell anyone a wire back Ultra from my stockpile for $15 or accept trades for Royal Purple 10-2867 or Amsoil EA15K13-EA filters.

Call my demands crazy now but soon the world will be out of wire backed Fram Ultras and if you want one you'll have to come to me. You'll pay... Oh yes... YOU... WILL... PAY!!! 🤣🤑😈

Confirmed (7317). I'm not worried though.
Yes, the OG 7317 Ultras appear to be gone, they're a big mover. Slower sellers like the XG2, XG5, & XG8A are still around with the original design. The Ultra had TWO major features-full synthetic, high efficiency DEPTH media, not some sprayed on thin layer of unknown capacity, and a wire mesh reinforcement that allowed that media to retain its shape, no matter what, for freakish miles compared to other filters. Those features being gone, the Ultra is now NOT a premium filter, it is on a par with many much less expensive filters, and I will treat the newer Ultra as a one shot, 7500 mile or less filter. No better than a Rock Auto $1.48 Champ. Looking "forward" to the first one with torn media!

Yes, the OG 7317 Ultras appear to be gone, they're a big mover. Slower sellers like the XG2, XG5, & XG8A are still around with the original design. The Ultra had TWO major features-full synthetic, high efficiency DEPTH media, not some sprayed on thin layer of unknown capacity, and a wire mesh reinforcement that allowed that media to retain its shape, no matter what, for freakish miles compared to other filters. Those features being gone, the Ultra is now NOT a premium filter, it is on a par with many much less expensive filters, and I will treat the newer Ultra as a one shot, 7500 mile or less filter. No better than a Rock Auto $1.48 Champ. Looking "forward" to the first one with torn media!
Well that’s a bit dramatic.

I'm going to buy a new XG3614 and weigh it compared to my old type XG3614 I have new in the box. I have a postal scale. Isn't that just something to know? This social media sure is great.

I'm going to buy a new XG3614 and weigh it compared to my old type XG3614 I have new in the box. I have a postal scale. Isn't that just something to know? This social media sure is great.
In the video the old style filter media was more heavy, probably due to metal backing

Would you have any reservations to dropping down from Fram Ultra to to Fram Silver Tough Guard for 5000 mile OCI's ?

In the video the old style filter media was more heavy, probably due to metal backing
I just want to find out what the weight actually is. I was making a joke about people putting all their mundane life activities on social media as if it means something important. Anyway the thread is getting along further in numbers nicely. Will it hit 1000?

Well that’s a bit dramatic.

It isn't really.

First Brands modified the filter to make it easier for them to manufacture and thus cheaper for them to manufacture.

The synthetic depth media was what made it an ultra, without depth media (which requires the wire backing) it is no longer an ultra.

Wait until they figure out that without the mesh, they can glue it all together to the fiber end caps they use on the rest and expect that change next.

Much as it pains me to say it, I'll take "boss" media of the "new improved" formally ultra.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back