New Alternative to Fram Ultra (New design)?

I have one remaining Fram Ultra left but will be looking for a new “higher end” filter. My decision mainly rests with the fact the Ultra no longer has wire backing. I’m not interested in supporting a company like Fram for essentially now charging 30% more for the same filter (Endurance is $12.97, Ultra old design was $9.97).

What are some proven filters that are a good alternative?

Engine is the 2.3 EB out of my ‘21 Ranger. I occasionally tow..

if you don’t want to spend the money on the endurance, the new carquest premium filters with the silicon Oring are premium guards or you could go through Orileys for the micro guard select. the endurance isn’t the same filter as the OG ultra, it is a champion labs built filter and is the same as the amsoil and royal purple.

(Endurance is $12.97, Ultra old design was $9.97).

So if you are looking for synthetic with a screen backing the best deal I see is the Purolator Boss at advance auto for $11.99 with winter20 code but I think that ends at the end of today.

I have one remaining Fram Ultra left but will be looking for a new “higher end” filter. My decision mainly rests with the fact the Ultra no longer has wire backing. I’m not interested in supporting a company like Fram for essentially now charging 30% more for the same filter (Endurance is $12.97, Ultra old design was $9.97).

Engine is the 2.3 EB out of my ‘21 Ranger. I occasionally tow..
Hi Ranger57,
Below is a database to choose from that has performance specs and prices.

Boss is (unless changed - i haven't been keeping up with it) a nylon mesh. Still good but if you are looking for real wire backing the only game in town is champion (Amsoil, Royal Purple, Fram Endurance)

Depends on what you want. Fram is still the only company rating 99%@20um if I am not mistaken.

I think the Boss is the only other filter with mesh backing - please correct me if I am wrong someone. But its micron rating is less I think?

If your just looking for quality construction - then you have a ton of options? Whats important to you?

Honestly - $3 more in the last few years is less than most items. Everything from Bacon to Soda to used cars has about doubled.

Depends on what you want. Fram is still the only company rating 99%@20um if I am not mistaken.

I think the Boss is the only other filter with mesh backing - please correct me if I am wrong someone. But its micron rating is less I think?

If your just looking for quality construction - then you have a ton of options? Whats important to you?

Honestly - $3 more in the last few years is less than most items. Everything from Bacon to Soda to used cars has about doubled.
correct, the BOSS is a beautiful filter inside and out but the efficiency suffers for the long life rating. the filter tested in ascents testing (fram 10575 equivalent) was 99% at 36um

Purolator's One's or Boss's, Premium Guard made oil filters like Microgard, etc. (extended mileage versions only), Some STP's at Autozone look good too physically. It's hard to compare to another part number, other than your needed part #, so browse inside auto parts stores to check some out to see what you see.

You are right. I guess I consider it my stand lol

Supertech blue can is a good filter for the money
Who makes supertech’s filters? I use them on my zero turn’s Kawasaki from a sale I scored a few years back. I believe I paid $1.50 a filter. Knew nothing about them other than the price was great for a once a year OCI (about 40-45 hours a year).

Purolator's One's or Boss's, Premium Guard made oil filters like Microgard, etc. (extended mileage versions only), Some STP's at Autozone look good too physically. It's hard to compare to another part number, other than your needed part #, so browse inside auto parts stores to check some out to see what you see.
It’s been years but has Purolator’s line experienced the years they used to? I have heard the Boss is a good filter though.

It’s been years but has Purolator’s line experienced the years they used to? I have heard the Boss is a good filter though.
No, They did indeed have some tearing issues but that was corrected about 8 years ago. The One & Boss are excellent filters now. If you're not extending the mileage very far then a One would work since they rate them at 15k now.

Last edited:
correct, the BOSS is a beautiful filter inside and out but the efficiency suffers for the long life rating. the filter tested in ascents testing (fram 10575 equivalent) was 99% at 36um
The Supertech Extended Life (in the blue can);
  • Has better performance specs than the Boss, 99% eff. @30um and 20k life, for $5.97. Half the price of a Boss.
  • Has equal performance specs of a Mobil 1 at almost half the price also.

The Supertech Extended Life (in the blue can);
  • Has better performance specs than the Boss, 99% eff. @30um and 20k life, for $5.97. Half the price of a Boss.
  • Has equal performance specs of a Mobil 1 at almost half the price also.
i wouldn’t pay the price for a BOSS anymore and i won’t be buying filters for quite a while. have 23 OG wire backed FS3675’s and 4 FS7317’s for the wife’s car. if i had to buy a filter for my personal stuff it would be an endurance. the fleet gets either new style titanium’s or carquest premiums.

Last edited:
Back