Fram ultra old vs new efficiency?

Hi there! Yes, I’d be ok with that personally. Tons of cars hitting 200k+ mileage on jobber-tier filters.
Yeah, the BITOG standard seems to be "If it doesn't blow-up, it must be good", or "The body will rust out before the engine fails". Might as well just put an empty can on the filter mount and same money not buying oil filters. 😄

Yeah, the BITOG standard seems to be "If it doesn't blow-up, it must be good", or "The body will rust out before the engine fails". Might as well just put an empty can on the filter mount and same money not buying oil filters. 😄
Do you know where I can find those high-flow empty cans? Would love to give one a shot

Do you know where I can find those high-flow empty cans? Would love to give one a shot
Maybe I should get a supplier to make some up and offer them for sale ... could brand them as "BITOG Signature Series" filters. 😂

Welcome to Bitog, I see you are (very) new & unfamiliar with the nature of this site, but you're sure posting a lot today. I suspect you'll troll a few discussions, get bored & leave......
Hello fellow oil buddy! Thanks for the kind welcome. I like it here so I will do my best to stick around.

If the fitler was rated at 99% @ 20u per ISO 4548-12, that would be the average efficiency over the rated holding capactiy of the filter. So it couldn't get much better than 99% @ 20u when new. Maybe it would be 99.5% when new, and 97.5% when loaded. The average of 99.5% and 98.5% would be 99.0%. The ISO efficiency is always the over-all average efficicy from new to loaded to near holding capacity.

If a filter has an ISO efficiecy of say 50% @ 20u, it may be 75% @ 20u when new and 25% @ 20u when fully loaded ... the average would then be 50% @ 20u. Or it could be 60% @ 20u when new and 40% @ 20u when fully loaded - again giving an average of 50% @ 20u. Only way to know is to see the actual ISO test efficiency data to see what's really going on, like the data from Ascent's testing that @Davejam plotted. The over-all efficiency curves that Ascent plotted was the over-all average efficiency curve vs particle size. The bottom line is any filter with a high ISO efficiency can not be a major slougher of captured debris.
All 3 top end Fram filters, Endurance, Titanium, & Ultra, are rated at 99+% efficiency @ 20u (per the website).

Endurance is rated for 25K, Titanium & Ultra are rated for 20K. Would it follow that the Endurance would start at a higher rate than the other two, simply because it has a longer life rating, & would be expected to get lower than the 20K counterparts? I realize they are all rated at 99+, which is incredible, but that would also imply good ratings for smaller particles, which are likely to drop off faster than 20u rating.

All 3 have to average at least 99.0001% to qualify, so if one is expected to go 5K longer it would probably have to start higher. For example, 99.80 start & 98.25 end would average to 99.025. If the extra 5K drags the end number down to 98.10, the starting point would have to be 99.91%.

Endurance says:
"Metal Screen Back construction for enhanced durability. Fully synthetic blend media provides 99%+ filtration efficiency.*"

Titanium says:
"Metal Screen Back Synthetic Blend Media™ increases dirt-trapping and dirt-holding capacity for higher levels of engine protection and longer filter life, exceeding today’s synthetic oil change intervals. Stronger, more durable synthetic blend media provides an outstanding 99%+ dirt-trapping efficiency.*"

Ultra says:
"Dual layered synthetic blend media provides 99%+ filtration efficiency.*"

So it comes down to "filtration efficiency" vs. "dirt-trapping efficiency"?

Last edited:
All 3 top end Fram filters, Endurance, Titanium, & Ultra, are rated at 99+% efficiency @ 20u (per the website).

Endurance is rated for 25K, Titanium & Ultra are rated for 20K. Would it follow that the Endurance would start at a higher rate than the other two, simply because it has a longer life rating, & would be expected to get lower than the 20K counterparts? I realize they are all rated at 99+, which is incredible, but that would also imply good ratings for smaller particles, which are likely to drop off faster than 20u rating.
I think you are trying to connect the holding capacity (ie, the "up to X miles" use rating) to the efficiency. If the Endurance has more holding capacity (ie, rated at 25K miles instead of 20K miles), then it's most likely loaded more during the ISO 4548-12 test to achieve the desired dP that defines the end of the test. Ascent also did that in his testing, because some filters had higher holding capacity than others.

So, that means if the ISO efficiency is based on the level of loading, and the filter can take more loading over the test time, then the ISO efficiency represents the efficiency from new to near fully loaded to holding capacity. That's the only way that the efficiency and holding capacity are related.

It does not mean that based on the holding capacity, that one starts off better or worse, or ends better or worse efficiency. If they are all rated with an ISO 4548-12 efficiency of 99% @>20u, then that's what their average efficiency is from new to near fully loaded. The "up to X miles" use rating is simply assigned by the filter designer based on the filter's holding capacity. A filter could be 99% @ 20u and have a super low holding capacity, so the "up to X miles" use rating would therefore be very low compared to a filter with 99% @ 20u efficiency with a high holding capacity.

All 3 have to average at least 99.0001% to qualify, so if one is expected to go 5K longer it would probably have to start higher. For example, 99.80 start & 98.25 end would average to 99.025. If the extra 5K drags the end number down to 98.10, the starting point would have to be 99.91%.
Like I tried to explain in a previous post, without seeing the actual efficiency vs time and particle size raw data (like Ascent showed some of that in the long thread), you couldn't tell exactly how the efficiency starts and ends. But again, the ISO 4548-12 is the average efficiency from new to near fully load - example explained in post #15. The bottom line is that's all that really matters ... the overall average efficiency from new to loaded, and the total holding capacity.

As said before, for a filter to have an average ISO efficiency of 99% @>20u from new to loaded is about as good as it gets. It captures and hold debris very well. If it was a big "debris slougher", it would not maintain an average new to loaded efficiency that high.

Endurance says:
"Metal Screen Back construction for enhanced durability. Fully synthetic blend media provides 99%+ filtration efficiency.*"

Titanium says:
"Metal Screen Back Synthetic Blend Media™ increases dirt-trapping and dirt-holding capacity for higher levels of engine protection and longer filter life, exceeding today’s synthetic oil change intervals. Stronger, more durable synthetic blend media provides an outstanding 99%+ dirt-trapping efficiency.*"

Ultra says:

Those two terms IMO pretty much mean the same thing - they relate to the filtering efficiency. Purolator likes to use the term "Dirt Removal Power" ... it's even trademarked (see below). I didn't know oil filters had a power source. 😄

1704342191944.png

Oil filters:
1) Filter/remove debris.
2) Hold that trapped debris (except for what they might slough off as loading and the dP increase).
3) Produce dP across the media based on the oil viscosity, flow rate and debris loading.
4) Bypass some oil around the media if the dP exceeds the bypass valve setting due to factors in #3 above.

That's pretty much all they really do.

Last edited:

Endurance says:

Titanium says:

Ultra says:

If Titanium "says" that, then Titanium is full of it-they are mostly sprayed on synthetic over blend like the new Ultra. There are a few renegade wire-backed Titaniums around, but you'll have to look for them. The original wire backed Ultra outperformed all the others tested in the Ascent testing, and our dear, departed Jay Buckley/@Motorking provided micron ratings in the single digits. For those of us that will drive it until the body rusts off... Or until one of the insane locals runs into us & totals it...

I think you are trying to connect the holding capacity (ie, the "up to X miles" use rating) to the efficiency. If the Endurance has more holding capacity (ie, rated at 25K miles instead of 20K miles), then it's most likely loaded more during the ISO 4548-12 test to achieve the desired dP that defines the end of the test. Ascent also did that in his testing, because some filters had higher holding capacity than others.

So, that means if the ISO efficiency is based on the level of loading, and the filter can take more loading over the test time, then the ISO efficiency represents the efficiency from new to near fully loaded to holding capacity. That's the only way that the efficiency and holding capacity are related.

It does not mean that based on the holding capacity, that one starts off better or worse, or ends better or worse efficiency. If they are all rated with an ISO 4548-12 efficiency of 99% @>20u, then that's what their average efficiency is from new to near fully loaded. The "up to X miles" use rating is simply assigned by the filter designer based on the filter's holding capacity. A filter could be 99% @ 20u and have a super low holding capacity, so the "up to X miles" use rating would therefore be very low compared to a filter with 99% @ 20u efficiency with a high holding capacity.

Oil filters:
1) Filter/remove debris.
2) Hold that trapped debris (except for what they might slough off as loading and the dP increase).
3) Produce dP across the media based on the oil viscosity, flow rate and debris loading.
4) Bypass some oil around the media if the dP exceeds the bypass valve setting due to factors in #3 above.

That's pretty much all they really do.
I would add:
5) Don't disintegrate & launch media throughout the engine.
6) Don't get holes in media or center tube to allow unfiltered oil through.
7) Don't get holes in can or crimp & launch oil all over the place...
Amazing how many filters fail at these crucial issues!

I have been following this debate since the PureOne "tearaolators", where the non-wire backed media would tear, usually close to the end where it was glued. There have been posts of the new non-wire backed Fram Ultras with wavy pleats, insinuating that they, too, might tear. I think @ZeeOSix has mentioned the increased number of pleats giving it a little more strength avoiding the tearing issues the PureOne had.

I am now wondering about the legitimacy of these claims. When the PureOnes (not to be confused with the current Purolator Ones) were shown torn, I don't remember the poster stating how long it was run, or what grade oil was used. Was it run way over the recommended mileage? Was extremely thick oil used? Was the engine taken to redline on cold starts? Or maybe the bypass valve wasn't reacting fast enough? Hell, maybe the filter didn't have a bypass valve & the engine didn't have one. A lot of this is anecdotal. You may not need a wire screen backing if you don't experience the conditions the engine was subjected to.

I was told by an analyst years ago that if I use the PureOne be sure to change it early, because it will plug up faster. That made sense because a finer filter will load up quickly, simply because it is trapping more material. Now the newer filters boast 99+% @ 20u, yet still advertise high mileage, I'm assuming because full synthetic media can hold more. Remember the PureOne was synthetic/cellulose blend.

I seem to remember the Purolator Boss advertising a higher efficiency at a lower mileage, e.g. 99%@25u for 20,000 miles, but 99%@20u for 10,000 miles (don't remember the exact number, but you get the jist). That would make sense that the higher delta p was sloughing off captured debris. Apparently mfgs sell based on higher mileage to warrant the extra cost. So in that vein, would the Endurance (or Amsoil EAO) be higher rated at say, 15u for less than 25000 miles? The testing done by Ascent was on a new filter, where the OG Ultra was exceptional, but it was new & unloaded. Fram's data I would assume is based on long term use, so some of that captured debris would be released as the delta p increased, causing a lower efficiency rating.

I switched to Endurance (and/or Amsoil EAO) from Ultra simply because of the wire screen. The motorhome regularly sees 4000-4500 RPM bursts but the oil is at operating temp & viscosity, would that be enough to warrant a wire-backed media? The Ultra may in fact have a higher efficiency than the Endurance, & I never take any filter (or oil) beyond 4000 miles.

Edit: I presume the only way to really know would be for me knowing the history to cut one open & take pics. I just might do that after my next Texas trip.
The old mobil 1 filters were blended media not wire backed and they were great and didn't tear. I ran them for 20k.
I use acdelcos and super tech for 10k and never a tear. Honestly I never had a torn Purolator either though. Even during the "tearolator" years so??

If Titanium "says" that, then Titanium is full of it-they are mostly sprayed on synthetic over blend like the new Ultra.
They are both still rated upto 20K miles by Fram, believe it or not. The new construction without the wire backed media uses more media area, so that would help the holding capacity.

I would add:
5) Don't disintegrate & launch media throughout the engine.
6) Don't get holes in media or center tube to allow unfiltered oil through.
7) Don't get holes in can or crimp & launch oil all over the place...
Amazing how many filters fail at these crucial issues!
The items I listed were normal expected filter functions. But yeah, the possible failures you listed are things you don't want filters to do, and something they shouldn't do if designed and manufactured correctly.

Yes, I am connecting the holding capacity to the efficiency rating. You have posted the "hockey stick" graph many times, so it can be assumed that every filter follows this pattern. The "rating" is taking an average of the high & low points, just before the efficiency shoots up to 100% due to clogging. The "holding capacity" can be reached in x hours, or 2x hours or 3x hours, depending on estimated mileage rating. I agree we don't know what the curve is, & we don't have data points for each time increment. Granted it could be a sharp drop, or the line could be flat until it reaches the end of the "stick", but past results indicate that filter media efficiency drops in similar fashion in every one that has been tested. We can safely assume that the efficiency will drop linearly until the final spike. It only goes to reason that a longer interval will have a longer drop. Maybe not a drastic drop, or a fairly flat drop, but a drop nonetheless.

So my point is a filter, any filter, will have a higher efficiency than it's rating for the first part of it's life. The question is would a 25K filter perform at a higher efficiency through, say, the first 3,000 miles of it's life than a 10K filter through the same 3,000 miles, with both filters having the same ISO rating?

As said before, for a filter to have an average ISO efficiency of 99% @>20u from new to loaded is about as good as it gets. It captures and hold debris very well. If it was a big "debris slougher", it would not maintain an average new to loaded efficiency that high.
Apparently all filters are "debris sloughers" as evidenced by the hockey stick graph patterns. Once again it's reasonable to think the filter will have exceptional efficiency above its ISO rating during the first part of it's life.

Yes, I am connecting the holding capacity to the efficiency rating.
What I was eluding to is that a filter's efficiency and holding capacity don't always correlate to each other the same way. A filter with high holding capacity doesn't automatically mean it has a direct corresponding its efficiency, either high or low efficiency. The Ultra is a good example, as seen in Ascent's ISO testing. It had the highest efficiency and also had a pretty high holding capacity (2nd highest in the group of filters tested). The WIX XP had the highest holding capacity, but the worse efficiency. So the example of the Ultra shows that you can have high efficiency and high holding capacity, or you could also have low efficiency and high holding capacity like the XP. And another efficiency/holding capacity combo example is the Royal Purple in Ascents' testing ... that shows high efficiency and pretty low holding capacity. Here's the link to the Ascent testing graphs.

1708459507786.jpeg
1708459529449.jpeg

You have posted the "hockey stick" graph many times, so it can be assumed that every filter follows this pattern. The "rating" is taking an average of the high & low points, just before the efficiency shoots up to 100% due to clogging. The "holding capacity" can be reached in x hours, or 2x hours or 3x hours, depending on estimated mileage rating. I agree we don't know what the curve is, & we don't have data points for each time increment. Granted it could be a sharp drop, or the line could be flat until it reaches the end of the "stick", but past results indicate that filter media efficiency drops in similar fashion in every one that has been tested. We can safely assume that the efficiency will drop linearly until the final spike. It only goes to reason that a longer interval will have a longer drop. Maybe not a drastic drop, or a fairly flat drop, but a drop nonetheless.
The drop in efficiency does look pretty linear as seen is the Ascent test data. Here's a link to where the loss in efficiency as the loading and filter dP increased is discussed in that thread. Start reading from this post forward. You've probably read this thread a few times, but posting the link for others following this discussion.

As mentioned in the Ascent thread, if the overall ISO 4548-12 efficiency is high, that means by the very definition of how the ISO efficiency is calculated, that the filter is a very low slougher of debris as the dP increases from loading. If the efficiency vs dP of the XP was plotted, the decrease in efficiency curve would be much steeper than say on the Ultra or the one shown for the AC Delco in post #391 in that thread.

So my point is a filter, any filter, will have a higher efficiency than it's rating for the first part of it's life.
Yes, pretty much all oil filters will have a higher efficiency when they are new vs their efficiency when really loaded up. Some loose efficiency faster than others as they load up, and that depends a lot on the design of the media in terms of how it captures and holds debris. Even if it can catch it, it may not hold it all as the dP across the media keeps increasing. But filters with a very high ISO efficiency rating can not by definition be big debris slougher because it would not have such a high ISO efficiency if it sloughed badly.

The question is would a 25K filter perform at a higher efficiency through, say, the first 3,000 miles of it's life than a 10K filter through the same 3,000 miles, with both filters having the same ISO rating?
If they both had the same ISO efficiency rating, then yes the filter with the higher holding capacity would have a smaller rate of efficiency loss from new to fully loaded. As you mentioned, it would therefore take 25K miles to be fully loaded vs 10K miles to be fully loaded and result in the same loss of efficiency from new to fully loaded. Also, for both filters in this case to have the same exact ISO efficiency, they would both have to start and end up at the same efficiency from new to fully loaded. The chances of that actually happening in and ISO efficiency test would be very unlikely IMO. But I get the jist of the question, which was a good question to get the insight.

Apparently all filters are "debris sloughers" as evidenced by the hockey stick graph patterns. Once again it's reasonable to think the filter will have exceptional efficiency above its ISO rating during the first part of it's life.
Yes ... and as touched on above, if a filter has a high ISO efficiency (like 99% @ 20u) then it can't be much of a debris slougher as the filter loads up and the dP increases. By definition of how the ISO efficiency is calculated, it would be impossible for a badly debris sloughing filter to obtain a 99% @ 20u ISO efficiency.

Last edited:
Back