New Fram Ultra : Same Filtration & Flow Rate as Prior Ultra ?

Does the new Fram Ultra claim to be same or similar in filtering & flow rate as the previous constructed Fram Ultra ? ... These are the two main questions I have and the most important ones as far as I am concerned . Two 5,000 mile OCI's with a Fram Ultra - then I got my money's worth and it goes in the trash can .

Filtration - yes, they claim it is improved.
Flow rate - would be unchanged.
Delta P - probably has increased or will increase over the OCI. But 2x5,000 should be no concern.

Does the new Fram Ultra claim to be same or similar in filtering & flow rate as the previous constructed Fram Ultra ? ... These are the two main questions I have and the most important ones as far as I am concerned . Two 5,000 mile OCI's with a Fram Ultra - then I got my money's worth and it goes in the trash can .
Cellulose blend media (the new backing media) won't flow as well as the synthetic media used previously, so they've added a bit more of it to try and counteract that somewhat. It still flows better than OEM requirements. This was covered in detail in the thread that @tyman linked. Filtration is basically the same.

I’ll run the new ultra on my wife’s Honda Fit for the length of the oil life monitor without worry. Using the new advanced full synthetic supertech too

Filtration - yes, they claim it is improved.
Flow rate - would be unchanged.
Delta P - probably has increased or will increase over the OCI. But 2x5,000 should be no concern.
Yeah, depending on my schedule … figure two 5k-6k and done …
This seems to be where many are landing so that gives rise to the question:
Is a 10k-12k run with an oil change midway anywhere near what a single 20k run is to that filter …

Proper time and proper testing should give us an indicator for reliability. Granted, most will be anecdotal.

Just buy orange cans. Stop wasting money. As far as if there is a difference who knows? I promise it doesnt matter at all anyways. If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around does it make a sound? Stop wasting money on 5,000 OCIs. Modern oils are good far past the 5k mark.

New Fram XG.jpg

If you read historical data, there are a few members who usually get the threads locked. Read the archives and you will see a pattern.

Just buy orange cans. Stop wasting money. As far as if there is a difference who knows? I promise it doesnt matter at all anyways. If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around does it make a sound? Stop wasting money on 5,000 OCIs. Modern oils are good far past the 5k mark.
Unless they get loaded with fuel or carbon.

Bringing up an old thread and show my anecdotal experience with both old mesh style and new design. I jumped on the bandwagon just the other day. Both Lexus and my GMC truck got fresh oil change and using old Fram Ultra "Mesh" in my truck and new Fram Ultra design in the Lexus:

https://www.fram.com/team-fram/latest-news/fram-announces-new-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter-design/

I have seen both side by side torn apart and they both look to be a pretty good filter. The only difference with the new design is more filtering media to make up for the removed mesh.

Prior to this I was using the Mobil 1, Purolator Boss, Bosch, and a few others. My last oil change was with Wix XP's on both vehicles and they turned out to be crap filters. Less than 2,000 miles and both Lexus and GMC's oil was filthy on the dipstick. It drained out of the pans dark black. This was the first time I have seen this on either vehicle. Normally my oil drains are a translucent dark golden brown after 3,000 miles.

I know a few members here might suggest doing an oil analysis. I'm not willing to go to that effort nor am I curious as to what it will show. I do my oil changes every 3,000 miles and that has worked for me over the years. I tend to keep my vehicles for hundreds of thousands of miles and a decade or two. My last truck saw over 300,000 miles before getting rid of it.

I am not a fan of Fram as I've had them rupture in generator applications. I decided to give them another chance seeing as the Wix XP's on both vehicles failed to filter the oil as expected by dozens of previous oil changes. FWIW, I have never seen a black oil drain one any of my gas vehicles except when flushing my engines. This was very odd.

I'll post up filtering results after my next oil change in a few months.

Bringing up an old thread and show my anecdotal experience with both old mesh style and new design. I jumped on the bandwagon just the other day. Both Lexus and my GMC truck got fresh oil change and using old Fram Ultra "Mesh" in my truck and new Fram Ultra design in the Lexus:

https://www.fram.com/team-fram/latest-news/fram-announces-new-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter-design/

I have seen both side by side torn apart and they both look to be a pretty good filter. The only difference with the new design is more filtering media to make up for the removed mesh.

Prior to this I was using the Mobil 1, Purolator Boss, Bosch, and a few others. My last oil change was with Wix XP's on both vehicles and they turned out to be crap filters. Less than 2,000 miles and both Lexus and GMC's oil was filthy on the dipstick. It drained out of the pans dark black. This was the first time I have seen this on either vehicle. Normally my oil drains are a translucent dark golden brown after 3,000 miles.

I know a few members here might suggest doing an oil analysis. I'm not willing to go to that effort nor am I curious as to what it will show. I do my oil changes every 3,000 miles and that has worked for me over the years. I tend to keep my vehicles for hundreds of thousands of miles and a decade or two. My last truck saw over 300,000 miles before getting rid of it.

I am not a fan of Fram as I've had them rupture in generator applications. I decided to give them another chance seeing as the Wix XP's on both vehicles failed to filter the oil as expected by dozens of previous oil changes. FWIW, I have never seen a black oil drain one any of my gas vehicles except when flushing my engines. This was very odd.

I'll post up filtering results after my

I'll post up filtering results after my next oil change in a few months.
I jumped on the Fram Ultra bandwagon after seeing the test results from Ascent Filtration Testing. This was the old mesh backed media, but the new one is supposed to be even more efficient. I was using the Pure One due to high efficiency at a reasonable price point, but Fram blows the competition away.

You can get just one or two analyses to get a baseline. I can’t see spending ~$40 for an analysis to avoid a $20 oil change. But to see where you stand after X amount of miles could be helpful to schedule future maintenance.

Thanks for posting the press release, I had only heard about it on here.

That's incorrect. The mesh was removed because the back layer of media is now a cellulose blend (traditional filter media, like the PureONE or Mobil 1 filter) not a synthetic product. The mesh is only required to provide support for synthetic (microglass, nanofibre...etc) media because it is not rigid.

Back