The New Fram Ultra......

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ultra with the metal screen backing has been around for many years, so don't know what you're getting at with saying "unless the new filter media was not yet developed". They are two entirely different media designs between the two configurations.
Bottom line: If the new version filters as well, or better than the old, then the mesh is not necessary. But I'm conceding you are correct in that if the old media was not rigid enough on its own, then sure, the mesh would serve a purpose.

So if the new media is a technical advance, then you are right again, it was necessary before. But if not, then they could have engineered it before without the mesh. In that case, the mesh really wasn't necessary to achieve the desired filtering efficiency. So why do it? I suspect if that's the case, it was to make us all feel that the filter is stronger and will withstand greater pressure.

Last edited:
I just picked up a pair of FRAM FS2 filters from AAP and they have the metal backing with the pink media. The date code is A11231 if anyone can decipher it. Thank you.

So if the new media is a technical advance, then you are right again, it was necessary before. But if not, then they could have engineered it before without the mesh. In that case, the mesh really wasn't necessary to achieve the desired filtering efficiency. So why do it? I suspect if that's the case, it was to make us all feel that the filter is stronger and will withstand greater pressure.
The metal mesh backing never had anything to do with the efficiency. Watch those two YT videos I mentioned earlier and you'll then understand why the old very soft snd flexible media needed the wire backing to prevent oil flow delta-p from deforming it.

The metal mesh backing never had anything to do with the efficiency. Watch those two YT videos I mentioned earlier and you'll then understand why the old very soft snd flexible media needed the wire backing to prevent oil flow delta-p from deforming it.
That's not what I'm saying. You said that the previous media needed the metal backing because it was flimsy. I'm saying the new media is, according to Fram's claim, at least as efficient and it appears even more so. If the new media was available years ago when the Ultras were developed, then the old media and thus the steel mesh were not necessary.

Either way, if the new media achieves their efficiency goals and holds up without the mesh, then what's the big deal? The mesh is simply not necessary.

Sorry I'm having trouble making sense. I'm getting old.

"123rd ay of 2021". Google that and you'll get the calender date.
So it looks like it's old stock from May 3rd, 2021. These filters aren't exactly "hot sellers" I suppose. I think I'm gonna scoop up as many as I can from my area and call it a day. Eight filter should cover me for the next four years, maybe five.

If the new media was available years ago when the Ultras were developed, then the old media and thus the steel mesh were not necessary.
Of course not ... but what's that got to do with anything or how it relates to the new media that doesn't need a screen backing? The Ultra came out 8-10 years ago and from then until now with the media it had, it needed a screen backing ... simple as that. That was then, this is now.
Either way, if the new media achieves their efficiency goals and holds up without the mesh, then what's the big deal? The mesh is simply not necessary.
Nothing wrong with it unless: 1) It has structural problems not found by Fram by testing, or 2) The flow vs delta-p performance is much worse. Without actual test data #2 can't be verified, but as I mentioned earlier it couldn't be rated at 99% @ 20u and 20K miles if the flow performance and holding capacity was much worse.

I'm not really worried about the new media. Future C&Ps will show if there are any structural integrity issues, especially filters ran over the cold winter time when the oil is much thicker at start-up and warm-up.

Last edited:
I'm not really worried about the new media. Future C&Ps will show if there are any structural integrity issues, especially filters ran over the cold winter time when the oil is much thicker at start-up and warm-up.
Could this be a temporary thing with FRAM where they use basically what looks to be the same media as the Tough Guard due to supply chain issues? It seems like everyone is plagued by supply chain issues and FRAM is no exception. What do you think?

@Obi Wan Noobi

That sounds dumb to many but I can not get wire I used to custom order about anywhere. I have to wait until February. So that could be an issue. Some things are tough to get.
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Like everyone else, I believe FRAM is trying to survive. I'm going to stock up on the filters we need and check each one with a flash light to make sure it has the correct media. Hopefully FRAM will be back to normal at some point. I doubt they would compromise their quality unless they had a very good reason to do it, like a supply chain issue. Even then, I'm sure they weight the potential issues. Also, I assume that not all filters have been built without the metal screen. I can only hope for things to get back to normal and wish FRAM the best.

Could this be a temporary thing with FRAM where they use basically what looks to be the same media as the Tough Guard due to supply chain issues? It seems like everyone is plagued by supply chain issues and FRAM is no exception. What do you think?
I think Fram has been thinking of getting rid of the metal backing before. A few years ago there was talk that they were looking at nylon scrim material like used on the BOSS and others. It could be that metal screen is hard to source now, and maybe that help push Fram to find a new media and make the switch over now.

25E1715A-5F18-497F-8F42-BAA9BAB9128C.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to stock up on the filters we need and check each one with a flash light to make sure it has the correct media.
Keep an eye out on the Fram Titanium sold by Advance Auto. Will be interesting to see if it also goes to the same media. My guess is that it will because Fram can't afford to have two different manufacturing lines just because of Advance Auto Fram filters.

Of course not ... but what's that got to do with anything or how it relates to the new media that doesn't need a screen backing? The Ultra came out 8-10 years ago and from then until now with the media it had, it needed a screen backing ... simple as that. That was then, this is now.

Nothing wrong with it unless: 1) It has structural problems not found by Fram by testing, or 2) The flow vs delta-p performance is much worse. Without actual test data #2 can't be verified, but as I mentioned earlier it couldn't be rated at 99% @ 20u and 20K miles if the flow performance and holding capacity was much worse.

Exactly. You really made the point that I wasn't very eloquent in making. The screen is moot if the new media peforms as well or better. And anyone saying it somehow is deficient is simply guessing. They didn't start making filters just yesterday, so the odds are that it's ready for prime time. With their market share, we'd know very quickly if these don't hold up. I seriously doubt they even want to flirt with the idea of these things being substandard and risking the calamity of harming a bunch of consumers' engines. I can't imagine that their testing program wasn't VERY rigorous.

I think it is a safe bet that this filter will be just fine. And still outperform nearly every filter on the market, if not all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back