The New Fram Ultra......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Count me as dubious on the accuracy of bullet point two as compared to the topic Fram Ultra (not Titanium info). Afaik on this subforum Ultra was always promoted as using 100% full synthetic media. The link would appear to confirm that as the illustration shows Previous XG/Ultra. Click on the (3) Media tab it says "2-ply synthetic, metal-screen-reinforced media provides 99%+ filtration efficiency.*
Also count me as skeptical on bullet point 3a, basically saying blend media is the support for synthetic portion. In other words no backing for support other than the blend media. As for allowing for "increased production capacity", I never noticed a problem with the production capacity of the previous Ultra.

Bottom line, for my $9, I prefer the previous Ultra.

I didn't notice the synthetic v blended media. This tips me onto the dubious side as well. And begs the question if the efficiency data is in fact as good as the previous XG.

That’s disappointing. I’d like to see some test run to compare the old with the new. Curious to see how restrictive the old vs new media is. Not knowing performance numbers and judging solely on image this new one is a let down. It might be just as good, or better than the previous model. Who knows.

And what Sayjac is saying.... Never a shortage of Fram Ultra oil filters on the store shelves. In his area where he lives at. Which I have not seen a "shortage" of Fram Ultra filters at any Walmart I have been in.
Exactly. I said "I never noticed a problem with the production capacity of the previous Ultra." Not, that I didn't know what it meant. As I never had a problem getting the XG7317 or any other of the previous version Ultra, nothing to notice.

As an aside, cancelled my Amazon subscribe&save on the XG7317 yesterday. Saved me ~$1 on each for two, the most filters I buy at a time.

Thanks bbhero for further clarifying what I thought was clear.

Sad to see for sure. If I had paid a little more attention I would have seen that I had purchased one old xg 3416 ultra and this new version on July 5th on Amazon. I included a picture of both boxes. The durable metal screen has been replaced with a perfect seal gasket on the feature list. Might be a way to see what one you're getting without opening the box, assuming box production lined up with filter production.

Looking at Ascent Filtration Testing videos it appears that all the tests were of the screened Fram judging by the boxes. Would love to see the new version tested.

Attachments

• 20210814_082034.jpg
    20210814_082034.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 138
Sad to see for sure. If I had paid a little more attention I would have seen that I had purchased one old xg 3416 ultra and this new version on July 5th on Amazon. I included a picture of both boxes. The durable metal screen has been replaced with a perfect seal gasket on the feature list. Might be a way to see what one you're getting without opening the box, assuming box production lined up with filter production.

Looking at Ascent Filtration Testing videos it appears that all the tests were of the screened Fram judging by the boxes. Would love to see the new version tested.
Good catch, if it doesn't say metal screen on the box assume it doesn't have one.

I just took this filter off my wife's new subaru outback and it was stuck on. Had a hard time getting it to unscrew even with a filter wrench.The base gasket stayed behind. I thought I was going to have to scrape it off, but no - it lifted right off. (?!)
I'm guessing the rubber didnt like the Castrol GTX magnatec 0w20. I put a Subaru service replacement part filter on since the engine is making a ton of racket - and if it let go, I want the Blue Fram-a-baru "extra guard" on there.,

Is there more media area with the loss of the screen? 100 sq in isnt much at all.
Tiny filters are a joke.

Some measurement data from Big O Dave ca2005 FTE Forums:

Pleat # Element Element
Filter Depth Pleats Width Area
Baldwin B2-HPG 0.719 61 3.75 328.83
Pro Choice Q1A 0.719 62 3.69 328.65
Supertech ST8A 0.719 62 3.50 311.94
Motorcraft FL-1A 0.719 56 3.75 301.88
Denso 150-1004 0.719 52 3.88 289.66
Baldwin B2 0.719 51 3.69 270.34
Donaldson P169071 0.719 49 3.75 264.14
Donaldson P550008 0.625 56 3.50 245.00
Fram TG8A 0.656 45 4.13 243.63
Fram XG8A 0.781 36 3.50 196.88
Fram PH8A 0.625 35 4.13 180.47​

Last edited:
After watching the video and reading all posts in the thread, there are a few things I notice missing from the label on the box...Words like "New & Improved." As a faithful Amsoil user who has never stooped so low as to use anything Fram, my totally biased opinion is that the world outside of BITOG will not know or care.
But as an OCD individual when it comes to all things oil, there are many things mentioned (none of them good) that I agree with, such as lowering the price, BEAN. COUNTERS.

Here's an older video (dated June 30, 2021 on YT) from Whip City Wrencher. Notice the box doesn't have the wire backing statement, but the filter is the older design, so looks like Fram was updating the boxes before putting the new designed Ultra in the box, at least for this filter model.

After watching the video and reading all posts in the thread, there are a few things I notice missing from the label on the box...Words like "New & Improved." As a faithful Amsoil user who has never stooped so low as to use anything Fram, my totally biased opinion is that the world outside of BITOG will not know or care.
But as an OCD individual when it comes to all things oil, there are many things mentioned (none of them good) that I agree with, such as lowering the price, BEAN. COUNTERS.
News flash… fram makes AMSoil filters.

Two words: BEAN. COUNTERS.

Here's an older video (dated June 30, 2021 on YT) from Whip City Wrencher. Notice the box doesn't have the wire backing statement, but the filter is the older design, so looks like Fram was updating the boxes before putting the new designed Ultra in the box, at least for this filter model.

Prove it filter 👦 😜😜😜

That was a pretty fresh filter at the time of filming, when he showed the date codes it was the 123rd day(May 3rd) of this year.

News flash… fram makes AMSoil filters.
Of course they do. And now that Fram Ultras are no longer Fram Ultras, how many of the Fram lovers will dig deep in their pockets to buy Amsoil? Furthermore, anyone who thinks that a visual inspection of an oil filter will tell you much about a filter is mistaken. The proof is in laboratory testing of flow rate, particle capture, particle loading, etc. No one has calibrated eyeballs that can differentiate between two similar filters.

I just went to walmart.com and their price for the Fram Ultra is $8.20. https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRAM-Ult...-20K-mile-Change-Interval-Oil-Filter/16878930
Is this a price drop?

Last edited:
Here's an older video (dated June 30, 2021 on YT) from Whip City Wrencher. Notice the box doesn't have the wire backing statement, but the filter is the older design, so looks like Fram was updating the boxes before putting the new designed Ultra in the box, at least for this filter model......
Good catch, the change over was in process. Website hasn't caught up yet. Having the box correct more important for proper advertising of new product. They, FB thought that through, at least the powers that be.

Not sure the big deal. I doubt the metal backing was necessary. I've been running Fram XG's in my Pentastar along with Mobil 1 filters. The Mobil 1 filters have no backing of any kind on the pleats. No problem. The XG's have a polymer or nylon backing that is VERY strong. But I think the Mobil 1 filter showed it isn't necessary, as I've not had one come apart or show any signs of a problem with the pleats. I can tear the M1 filter apart with my hands easily. It took vice grips to tear the XG apart. It's nice and reassuring, but again, probably unecessary. But the Fram certainly filters better, which is more important, to me. (I got the M1 filters for 3 bucks each on clearance, so I'll be running them more often than not.)

What's funny is that someone earlier said they'd go to M1 filters because of this. So they'll get a filter that also has nothing backing the pleats and less efficient filtering. That'll show 'em!

One thing I do like about that new Fram, besides what appears to be more efficient filtering with smaller particles, is that it is made in the USA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back