The New Fram Ultra......

Status
Not open for further replies.
News flash… fram makes AMSoil filters.
The AMSOIL filters have been made by a number of different companies, which varied based on product #. Donaldson made some, WIX made some...etc. However, historically, they used the Donaldson synthetic media regardless of who put together the can, not sure if that is still the case, perhaps @Pablo knows?

Being an accountant your bean counter comments are hurtful, I'll make sure everyone here suffers even more when it comes to oil filters in the future. I made this happen. . . I wanted you all to suffer while I keep all the wire backed Fram US filters for myself ;)

The accounting departments job is to keep net income after taxes black and away from the red, that can be done by increasing product prices and leaving variable costs the same, keeping product costs the sames and reducing variable costs, or the best option, increasing the price while decreasing variable costs. To add, it's other job is to increase the net income after taxes amount as well. Heirachy is: Shareholders, Board members, execs, management and employees. What do shareholders want? Dividends and increase in stock price if they want to or need to cash out.

I bet you any money, some jerk(s) ran a variance analysis (rate and efficiency) for both labour and materials, saw a way to make even more money and took it to the seniors to get a promotion/pay raise. It is what it is. The issue with this is most accounting department folk are not die hard oil/filte/automotive enthusiasts or DIY-ers when it comes to their cars/bikes/farm equip/planes etc.

I looked at the figures, the filtration seem legitimate still and obviously better than what it was before, but I do have some skepticism. Wire backed media are not that common and there are other filters that do a great job without a wired backing. But the gripe here is, "I am paying X price FOR the wired backing to be included and if you increase the price of the filter and take it away, then why should I bother"?

Would love to see this filter used on a OCI and see how it holds up (any warped pleats etc). Then we can see what's good. Still, I'm disappointed to say the least.

The AMSOIL filters have been made by a number of different companies, which varied based on product #. Donaldson made some, WIX made some...etc. However, historically, they used the Donaldson synthetic media regardless of who put together the can, not sure if that is still the case, perhaps @Pablo knows?
Hastings, Baldwin, Champ, etc.......Amsoil contracts the filter assembly.

I don't think serious members are saying the XG is a bad filter now, especially if those efficiency numbers remain constant. Their upset that the price has remained the same for less material.

What if fram's been lying about their 20 micron results all these years? Lol
Acsent filtration shows otherwise. Most filters are worse efficiency wise than even the extra guard. The media in the video does not look like it even needs a wire backing, if it does indeed hold the same efficiency specs (and we have no reason to believe it doesn't) then it doesn't matter. The Fram filters are still better than almost every other brand out there. Many oil filters out there are barely glorified rock catchers, Frams filters actually remove particles where it counts for engine wear and longevity.

Last edited:
What if fram's been lying about their 20 micron results all these years? Lol
As mentioned ... no. Fram actually seems to be more honest with their efficiency claims than other big filter companies. The Ultra tested here (link below) showed to be even better than what Fram advertises, but keep in mind that Fram takes into account the average of 3 different sizes and they also don't want to "over claim" either.

Acsent filtration shows otherwise. Most filters are worse efficiency wise than even the extra guard. The media in the video does not look like it even needs a wire backing, if it does indeed hold the same efficiency specs (and we have no reason to believe it doesn't) then it doesn't matter. The Fram filters are still better than almost every other brand out there. Many oil filters out there are barely glorified rock catchers, Frams filters actually remove particles where it counts for engine wear and longevity.
Well said. When it actually comes to filter efficiency Fram is a great value. I only use the regular orange can Fram extra guard, hard to beat for the efficiency/cost, haven't had an issue in 30 years on numerous vehicles.

Last edited:
No more full synthetic depth media (the reason for the metal mesh backing), and going to synthetic/conventional blend media, means that the Ultra has joined the ranks of pretty much any other halfway decent filter-which means it’s not worth $9-10 each any more, and can’t be trusted to handle 20,000 miles or more any more, period. Maybe we can try to get Ascent to test a new Ultra & see if First Brands numbers can be believed or not, and how they compare to the original!

No more full synthetic depth media (the reason for the metal mesh backing), and going to synthetic/conventional blend media, means that the Ultra has joined the ranks of pretty much any other halfway decent filter-which means it’s not worth $9-10 each any more, and can’t be trusted to handle 20,000 miles or more any more, period. Maybe we can try to get Ascent to test a new Ultra & see if First Brands numbers can be believed or not, and how they compare to the original!
I see no evidence that they've degraded the filter's efficiency in any way, which is what is being assumed here.

We're seeing many comments here that are really uniformed. Nobody here knows the reason for the change. It may be as simple as making a better filter media that simply doesn't require the complexity of the metal mesh.

And won't go 20K? Funny, both Mobil 1 and Walmart Supertech claim 20k life with no metal mesh, so I'm not sure why Fram can't pull that off, while at the same time blowing those filters away with their efficiency.

I personally think the metal mesh was all about marketing to give people the perception of strength. Maybe we should be more upset that they may have used that feature all these years to fool us.

Last edited:
Being an accountant your bean counter comments are hurtful, I'll make sure everyone here suffers even more when it comes to oil filters in the future. I made this happen. . . I wanted you all to suffer while I keep all the wire backed Fram US filters for myself ;)

The accounting departments job is to keep net income after taxes black and away from the red, that can be done by increasing product prices and leaving variable costs the same, keeping product costs the sames and reducing variable costs, or the best option, increasing the price while decreasing variable costs. To add, it's other job is to increase the net income after taxes amount as well. Heirachy is: Shareholders, Board members, execs, management and employees. What do shareholders want? Dividends and increase in stock price if they want to or need to cash out.

I bet you any money, some jerk(s) ran a variance analysis (rate and efficiency) for both labour and materials, saw a way to make even more money and took it to the seniors to get a promotion/pay raise. It is what it is. The issue with this is most accounting department folk are not die hard oil/filte/automotive enthusiasts or DIY-ers when it comes to their cars/bikes/farm equip/planes etc.

I looked at the figures, the filtration seem legitimate still and obviously better than what it was before, but I do have some skepticism. Wire backed media are not that common and there are other filters that do a great job without a wired backing. But the gripe here is, "I am paying X price FOR the wired backing to be included and if you increase the price of the filter and take it away, then why should I bother"?

Would love to see this filter used on a OCI and see how it holds up (any warped pleats etc). Then we can see what's good. Still, I'm disappointed to say the least.
As a fellow accountant I hear you. Can’t stand the “bean counter” excuse. It’s childish

I had nothing better to do today. So I sent this, let's see what the response is.
Letter.JPG

UPDATED: Info from Fram Engineers to my email inbox.

View attachment 66902
To each his own but I’m going to continue to purchase the Fram Ultra. It looks like they increased the efficiency in the sub-20 micron range a bit and increased the pleat count which should help with the already stellar delta-p performance of the Ultra. The only downside is they got rid of the metal backing, Honestly though, 95+% of other filters don’t have metal backing screens and they perform just fine.

Sad to see this as the XG7317 is the filter that I've been using for both the Altima & Civic in my signature. I may try to grab some old stock at Walmart before they change...if this is even possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back