The new 2024 Subaru Crosstrek calls for 0w-16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will be fine on 0W16...

You can run 0W20 if you want...

There is 100% nobody here that can give you advice on warranty matters as much as everyone speculates. That's a risk tolerance discussion.

The 0W20 is listed if you need to top off right? There are no convential 0W20s.

If you only do short trips, 0w-16 will be perfectly fine. If you do long trips and run the car hard, how about a 10w-20? This will have no Viscosity Index Improvers, be a bit thicker than most 20 weights, and not as thick as a 30 weight, so any tiny loss of MPG will be just that: tiny...unmeasurable in the noise of all the other variables. The increased thickness of a 10w-20 will provide a bit more MOFT. Or, you could jump right to Mobil 1 0w40. Your engine won't explode.
i might be wrong but I dont think modern roo's like anything north of 5w

I'll bet the makeup of their 2024 engines recommending 0w16, are different than years past.
0w20 in a EP-tier, is what I'd run. Not anything thicker...... not for a while anyways. I would need more consumer reviews/feedback first, prior to me reaching for the 0/5w30s.

It is CAFE related.
South Florida, you are at pretty much sea level. Cooling is much easier.
To give you an example. A few weeks ago, I was blasting up the Vail Pass (above 10,000ft) at around 80mph in Atlas. I managed to get oil temperature to 255f.
I was doing 90mph in the Arizona desert recently, around 100-102 ambient temperature, and oil temperature was 217f.
Altitude is killer! High ambient temperature but low elevation is a non-issue. Your cooling system will keep oil temperature in check.

So, do not worry about that. Now, 0W16? I personally would not go.
Eddy, you know it is RPM that is the killer. :cool:

I'll bet the makeup of their 2024 engines recommending 0w16, are different than years past.
0w20 in a EP-tier, is what I'd run. Not anything thicker...... not for a while anyways. I would need more consumer reviews/feedback first, prior to me reaching for the 0/5w30s.

whats the difference between ow-20 and ow-20 European?

I need BITOG roo experts on this one

I have a new 2024 blue geyser colored crosstrek that is supposed to be delivered 2nd week of December.

I test drove a black one. I looked at the owners manual and saw its go to oil is 0w-16 with an optional conventional ow-20. I didnt know there weas such a thing as conventional 0w-20. Anyway the service manager said they run ow-20 full synthetic on their crosstreks.

anyway

I've read on here that roo's need thinner oil at start up because of the timing chains. I hate thin oil but I dont want to have warranty related issues. I'd like to run 0w-30 or 5w-30 on this engine. Is it okay? did the tolerances and clearances change at all?

It's cold right now in the Colorado Rockies and will only get colder.
I don’t believe thinner oil at startup for the timing chain is really a thing, given that all models outside of N. America allow thicker grades.

I’m curious whether the dealer using 0W-20 is due to them deciding that 0W-20 is best for the application and location or if they are unaware of the new grade requirement? Regardless, 0W-20 will be fine. A thin XW-30 would probably be fine, but not sure I’d jump two grades over the recommended viscosity. Even the 2.4DIT specs 0W-20.

Last edited:
I don’t believe thinner oil at startup for the timing chain is really a thing, given that all models outside of N. America allow thicker grades.

I’m curious whether the dealer using 0W-20 is due to them deciding that 0W-20 is best for the application and location or if they are unaware of the new grade requirement? Regardless, 0W-20 will be fine. A thin XW-30 would probably be fine, but not sure I’d jump two grades over the recommended viscosity. Even the 2.4DIT specs 0W-20.

Could be that they can’t consistently stock 0w-16 but I think the dealership decided it’s best for the application.

Vehicles are tolerant of different viscosity. If this weren't true, manufacturer's couldn't recommend less viscous oils one year to the next, where no changes to engine design occurred. In the same vein, going up in viscosity hasn't brought about a multitude of threads discussing issues with that practice either.

well went ahead and got some synthetic 0w-20, not sure if i should do an early oil change. I dont know if on highway vehicles have break in oil in them or not.

roo comes in in two weeks, miles will pile up fast. i dont even know if i should drive it like i stole it or if i should be easy on her for the first 500-1000 miles.

By my count this is about the eighth or ninth "thick vs. thin" vs. CAFE thread in about a week. Most have the side of "engineers know best".

Surely one of those threads or one of the previous 300 before them contain an answer?
I think this site should ban thin/thick discussions. Also ban “what kind of oil should I use”questions and pictures of dipsticks.

I started putting 0w0 in our cars. I just mix 1 tablespoon Kirkland olive oil with 5 quarts water. I use distilled so I don't have to do an engine flush for deposit buildup.

Some of you might say this is ridiculous and should never be done. But I run a FRAM Ultra so that should allay your concerns.

I'll admit this is a joke, because there are epically ignorant people on the Internet and I don't want anyone thinking this sounds like a great idea. Use motor oil you fools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back