The furthest you’ve driven, straight on through

In 1972 I drove with a friend from Syracuse, NY straight through to Fort Lauderdale for spring break. On the return trip we got a motel room in NC. I had a Stebro exhaust system on my Fiat 124 Spider that was never the same after that trip.

Albuquerque, NM to Orange, CA with only stops for food and gas. I was alone, and stopping was not an option, since I was flying out from LAX the next day.

kansas city to Dillon CO (60 miles w. of Denver)
I think it was a about 750 miles.
or maybe Brookfield MO to Texarkana TX I know it was 13 hours in the days of the 55mph speed limit.

Carlton, MN to Atlanta - ~18 hours and 1200 miles - NEVER AGAIN. My MB E was flashing the coffee cup attention assist pretty much every 15 minutes for the last hour or so of the trip.

In case anyone was wondering, truckers in the USA are allowed to drive for 11 hours in a 14 hour period. I wouldn’t last a week. :oops:

1AF4381E-0F2B-4AF2-8446-6F29A062615D.png

It's worse in Canada for truck drivers: The Canadian hours-of-service rule limits driving to 13 hours a day within a 16-hour workday. Drivers must then be off duty for eight consecutive hours.

truck-logs-canada-1558693453586.jpg
_1_drive_thru_main.jpg

Yeah, we've done something like 24 hours straight from Rochester to Tampa. Never again. Too dizzy, tired, soar & constipated.
You know what’s funny? You and only a couple others have mentioned being tired/dizzy. And I found THAT was the hardest part of my long rides, fighting falling asleep. You know it’s coming and you think you can muscle through it - it’s dangerous and its scary. You don’t want to stop because you don’t know where you are and you want to get to where you’re going, but it gets real scary when you’ve driven a good stretch half asleep...windows down, slapping yourself in the face, tapping your leg. Anything to keep focus. That’s the worst part. I think if I ever do another long drive, I’ll just pull over no matter where I am and try to sleep.

I made it 265 miles *without shifting out of 5th gear* starting at the I-84 tollbooth leaving the Mass Pike westbound (before EZ-pass) and ending somewhere on I-80 in PA.

I got *so* lucky in Hartford CT, Wilkes-Barre PA, and numerous other spots infamous for traffic backups.

I think I made it from Poland, OH to Muskogee, OK in a day... 1000 miles.

The car? A 2003 Hyundai Accent without cruise control! I bought it here in Maine and was bringing to to my sister in DFW. Made it in 2.5 days.

Ah, to be young.

You know what’s funny? You and only a couple others have mentioned being tired/dizzy. And I found THAT was the hardest part of my long rides, fighting falling asleep. You know it’s coming and you think you can muscle through it - it’s dangerous and its scary. You don’t want to stop because you don’t know where you are and you want to get to where you’re going, but it gets real scary when you’ve driven a good stretch half asleep...windows down, slapping yourself in the face, tapping your leg. Anything to keep focus. That’s the worst part. I think if I ever do another long drive, I’ll just pull over no matter where I am and try to sleep.

That's by far the worst thing of a long drive, windows down in single-digit temperatures, stopping to stretch on an on/off-ramp (if there's no truck/rest stops), punching myself, chain smoking, etc. Coming back from my Acadia NP trip I thought there was a freight train in the middle of the highway. It ended up being a right-curve/turn and a grove of trees. My eye sight starts to blur first, then my ability to concentrate and focus, then I fall asleep.

The comfort definitely makes a difference. A few weeks before that trip I took my golf to maine, about 6 hours each way, and my back was hurting 5 hours into it. I felt fine after the ride in the GL.
I could do 1200 miles in BMW no sweat, VW so so, but in Toyota, hell no!

About 14 hours, from Pueblo, CO to Houston, TX in my '92 NSX. It's such a fantastic car on the highway (and on the track, and everywhere else!). I got home and told my wife I could easily have kept going.

Got up into the mountains and thought the car was having issues, couldn't understand why it was running well but down on power... took me a bit to realize what was going on!

View attachment 27141
Saw one of these the other day! always loved the NSX. Can’t believe someone would drive 14 hours in one...always figured they were just garage queens.

Saw one of these the other day! always loved the NSX. Can’t believe someone would drive 14 hours in one...always figured they were just garage queens.

Oh, most of them are definitely not. There are NSX out there with 300-400 thousand miles on them. The best part of the NSX is that it can be reliably driven; it is a Honda, after all :)

Longest time/distance for me is Canton, OH to Leesburg, FL. 961 miles in around 14 hours. I always save a little time on the WV Turnpike ;) Did it in a 1999 Grand Am with over 150,000 miles on the clock. Dozens of other trips from NE Ohio to various Florida locations. Me and Interstate 77 have spent a lot of time together.

1200+ miles- from just outside of West Yellowstone to OKC. Left at 4 am, arrived a few minutes before midnight. I'll never do that again! Followed that up with another 3 1/2 hour drive to DFW the next morning.

Back