The furthest you’ve driven, straight on through

About a year ago, we drove home non stop from Smith Mountain Lake to our home in north jersey straight through. With 2 dogs and a 1 1/2 year old, car and roof box were packed. 480 miles, 7 hours 2 minutes, average speed 68 at 24.7 mpg in my diesel GL. I was pretty happy lol. Normally its about 8 hours plus stops. Still had over a quarter tank too, wish I couldve shot for a 700 mile tank of fuel!
I just did 515 miles in my ML 320. Avg 70 mph, 25.7 mpg in a little over 8 hrs. I couldn't do it in a lessor vehicle. Still had over a qtr. tank. Filled up with 1.99 gal diesel starting out.

I just did 515 miles in my ML 320. Avg 70 mph, 25.7 mpg in a little over 8 hrs. I couldn't do it in a lessor vehicle. Still had over a qtr. tank. Filled up with 1.99 gal diesel starting out.
The comfort definitely makes a difference. A few weeks before that trip I took my golf to maine, about 6 hours each way, and my back was hurting 5 hours into it. I felt fine after the ride in the GL.

I did 3 days of 14-16 hours once by myself to get from Vancouver to Toronto. My great-aunt gave me her 1981 Olds Omega and I flew out and brought it home. I don't recall it being too difficult as I settled into the plush bench seat and cruised at 60mph enjoying the scenery, but I was also pretty young too.

Toronto Ontario to Portland Oregon twice. Once in a 2001 Eurovan, which was good to run a sleeper team in and once in a 2009 VW GTI which was miserable to sleeper team in. Only stopped for gas, food, and the occasional pawn shop.

Tennessee to Vermont, 900 miles in 14 hours, in late Dec. Good travel on dry Interstate, but last 3 miles on rural, narrow 2-lane roads with elevation change of 800 ft, with last mile being packed-stone road covered in snow, steep-ish uphill grade. Dark & no Cell service on that section, but family knew to come looking for us if we did not show-up 15 minutes after our cell connection dropped-out.

About 14 hours, from Pueblo, CO to Houston, TX in my '92 NSX. It's such a fantastic car on the highway (and on the track, and everywhere else!). I got home and told my wife I could easily have kept going.

Got up into the mountains and thought the car was having issues, couldn't understand why it was running well but down on power... took me a bit to realize what was going on!

1597533128781.jpg

..... last mile being packed-stone road covered in snow, steep-ish uphill grade. Dark & no Cell service on that section, but family knew to come looking for us if we did not show-up 15 minutes after our cell connection dropped-out.
I spent half the year for most of my life driving in conditions like that. I still don't own a cell phone.

I've been off the road accidentally twice in 50+ years of driving. It was my fault both times. You have to walk a ways and get someone to tow you out (or call someone who will).

I've been off the road on purpose many times. Where I grew up we had lots of back country trails (regular dirt, not gravel) that we drove on with rear wheel drive cars. You learn to avoid spinning your wheels in snow, not to get high centered in deep snow, to keep your wheels spinning in mud, and to avoid rocks that could take out your oil pan. Ah, good times.

About 1200 miles in a day - Nor Cal to so cal to pick up a vehicle and back - only stops were fuel/bio and to pick up the vehicle.

IMG_0468 (1).jpeg

22 hours/~1300 miles from the Grand Tetons to Mount Rushmore then back home in IL. I drank ALOT of redbull that day.

Friend and I did 19 hours straight from Chicago to the Grand Tetons a couple years ago.

I regularly do the 10 hour (~600 miles one way) to the Smokeys or 15 hour (1,300 one way) Rocky Mountain NP straight.

Although it doesn't count for this, my personal best was Chicago -> Acadia -> NYC -> Niagara -> Chicago in 3 days and 3 hours of sleep. I don't recommend it though, this was the trip that made me take sleep deprivation seriously.
You do some serious driving! My lord!

Houston to the Bay area 28 hrs. 1968 TR-4A in 1971. Changed resonator on the way. Went to doctor to get get grit out of eye from changing said resonator. That was in 1970.

Austin TX to Columbus Ohio 16 hours. 2013 Fiesta Hatch SE. If the 18 wheeler's are blowing down the road smokey is probably napping.

Last edited:
Central west coast Florida to Fort Stockton Texas.~22 hours
I did make a futile 30 minute attempt to catch some Z's at Texas border rest stop, but that rest stop was horrible.
I loaded up on Caffeine and just kept going.

That was close to 20 years ago, I can't do much more than 10 to 12 hours now, and those are with lots of stops to throw tennis ball for ball crazy dog.

Akron, Ohio to Macon, GA. I don’t remember how many miles, but it took me about 14 hours to get there. I was much younger then, don’t think I’d try that again.

Back