SPAM: anyone here eat it?

I wouldn't say it is wrong but it doesn't taste as nice as pork from, say, Brazil (one step above US), Denmark (the premium grade), or Japan (the ultimate quality).
Not going to argue - those three countries indeed have good meats. Just saying don't buy old or barrel bottom pork in the USA. Good pork is available.

Now because this thread (thank you very much :oops:) I went out to the emergency ration cabinet. We have 20+ cans of Spam.......no Tocino left, one Teriyaki for the wife, Cheese, Black Pepper, Jalapeno..............never actually tried the Hickory Smoke. Will cook up a 2-3 slices in a few minutes!!

Also funny/iron I just found this: https://www.mashed.com/201233/spam-flavors-ranked-from-worst-to-first/

Not going to argue - those three countries indeed have good meats. Just saying don't buy old or barrel bottom pork in the USA. Good pork is available.

Now because this thread (thank you very much :oops:) I went out to the emergency ration cabinet. We have 20+ cans of Spam.......no Tocino left, one Teriyaki for the wife, Cheese, Black Pepper, Jalapeno..............never actually tried the Hickory Smoke. Will cook up a 2-3 slices in a few minutes!!

Also funny/iron I just found this: https://www.mashed.com/201233/spam-flavors-ranked-from-worst-to-first/

I like the Black Pepper and the Hickory Smoke.

SPiced hAM as Hormel in Austin, Minnesota named it. Special Processed American Meat as the Brits in WW2 named it. It got a bad name as there was confusion with their 'Bully Beef' which American GIs mostly hated. Our Scout troop in the 1950's-60's used lots of it at the campouts. For me, a little goes a long ways.

I was at the store last night and decided to pick up a can for breakfast. Haven’t had spam and eggs in a long while.

Hot off the cast iron!

B5DD1620-72DE-4C12-9B16-AF7988C333AA.jpeg

When I was a little kid my dad would have duty keeping an eye on my brother and I when my mom was out doing the Saturday grocery shopping. He would make open faced sandwiches with Spam and Velveeta under the broiler. If my brother and I complained he would say (he was a WWII vet) "We ate Spam in the army. If it is good enough for the army, it's good enough for you kids !"

That said, I actually like the Lite Spam variety. Much less sodium and fat. I dice it and brown it in a skillet and then drain on paper towels. Then I mix up a batch of Kraft or Cracker Barrel macaroni & cheese. Stir in the Spam and put it in a Pyrex casserole or brownie dish and stick it under the broiler for a few minutes until it gets a nice crust on the top. Serve piping hot. I always have about a half dozen cans of Spam and boxes of macaroni & cheese in my emergency food supply in the pantry. Good stuff

If my brother and I complained he would say (he was a WWII vet) "We ate Spam in the army. If it is good enough for the army, it's good enough for you kids !"
What kind of complain?

That said, I saw that Hormel sells a Hormel brand luncheon meat as well as the SPAM brand internationally, and blind taste test say they are quite different (Hormel taste better and less salty). Where can I buy the Hormel brand one in the US? I would like to see if that is closer to my liking than the SPAM brand.

Purchased a case of Spam, every trip to Sam's Club from last July to this past February. It's a Prep Thing... The wife and I have eaten a half dozen cans for breakfast, but are struggling with it a little, as it is so salty.

Of course, it is a great protein and fat source when the chips are down.

I haven’t had Spam since I was a kid but do regularly have a can of Dinty

Even have some Shin Black on occasion

also like Hominy and Beets right out of the can on occasion

Last edited:
Back