SPAM: anyone here eat it?

Hawaii and Japan have the largest spam market. I haven't tried it in years. I work at a grocery store, maybe I'll give it a chance.

Anyone here ever eat SPAM? I took advice of co worker and fried some up in my 12” iron skillet. Then put a slice of sharp cheddar from Amish near me on it. Pretty good I must confess. I don’t eat it often though.
The last time I ate SPAM was in the field 1992. One of the Captains had some in his rucksack and we ate it with our MRE's.

Anyone here ever eat SPAM? I took advice of co worker and fried some up in my 12” iron skillet. Then put a slice of sharp cheddar from Amish near me on it. Pretty good I must confess. I don’t eat it often though.
Absolutely. And i gained a newfound appreciation for it during Hurricane Andrew back in '92. We ate canned corned beef and Spam for days.
When one of my brother's lived on the Big Island in Hawaii, i discovered the Hawaiians love the stuff....

turkey, low fat and low sodium spam varieties are decent and healthy. spam is the meat ingredient of the rock soup fable. if you are in or around the pacific you are in spam land. spam fried rice with 1-2 eggs and mixed veggies, served piping hot splattered with chili sauce and lemon or lime juice, maybe cooked with some raisins and peanuts and coconut milk or flakes, curry powder, and cold beer on the side, is a flavorful, quick, asiany treat.

Last edited:
Personally I don't like the SPAM branded luncheon meat. Somehow there is a unique odor to it. The European brands (from Denmark, forgot the name but it is sold in a Vietnamese grocer) and Chinese one in Asia seems to taste better.

Just pan fry to crisp it up and serve on eggs / toast or instant ramen (again the Asian one, between 60c per pack to $2 per pack, not the 25c per pack US one). I can eat it every day.

Had some this past week. Maybe once or twice a year I go for it. I love it, but a little goes a looooong way. I've got a slice left over that I'm waiting to cube and put into some meal this week.

Personally I don't like the SPAM branded luncheon meat. Somehow there is a unique odor to it. The European brands (from Denmark, forgot the name but it is sold in a Vietnamese grocer) and Chinese one in Asia seems to taste better.

Just pan fry to crisp it up and serve on eggs / toast or instant ramen (again the Asian one, between 60c per pack to $2 per pack, not the 25c per pack US one). I can eat it every day.
You mean the canned stuff like DAK? That's probably better than Spam, but haven't had that since I was kid, same as spam.

You mean the canned stuff like DAK? That's probably better than Spam, but haven't had that since I was kid, same as spam.
Not DAK for sure, but more like Celebrity, Tulip, Chef Crown, Ma Ling, etc. There is no secret ingredient in making luncheon meat, it is all about the pork. Somehow American pork has a smell that does not exist in foreign pork, or maybe the manufacturer didn't brine it right or remove all the blood in the meat right prior to cooking and canning. Adding teriyaki or jalapeno won't mask that smell.

Not DAK for sure, but more like Celebrity, Tulip, Chef Crown, Ma Ling, etc. There is no secret ingredient in making luncheon meat, it is all about the pork. Somehow American pork has a smell that does not exist in foreign pork, or maybe the manufacturer didn't brine it right or remove all the blood in the meat right prior to cooking and canning. Adding teriyaki or jalapeno won't mask that smell.

Those brands may likely be made with only pork. Spam is a mix of whatever comes in the door these days. Turkey and chicken but pork is the main ingredient.

Pretty sure you didn't mean this in the general sense. Nothing wrong with American pork, but I agree USA Spam does have an aroma!

I wouldn't say it is wrong but it doesn't taste as nice as pork from, say, Brazil (one step above US), Denmark (the premium grade), or Japan (the ultimate quality).

Back