Something needs to be done with truckers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst things Ive seen are as follows:

1) Dump truck drivers - somehow these guys are the worst, spewing stones, weaving, driving crazy. Apparently they get paid by the load so this is how they maximize income, at others' expense and safety.

2) Tractor trailers in IN and OH. Shipping and factory central, and they drive the OH ant IN turnpike like they are crazy. Ive been in bad rain and snow storms, and these jokers just storm by at high speeds. Of course Ive seen a few flip or go off of the upper section of overpasses.

Outside of that Ive not had a huge amount of regular issues with heavy trucks. I drive the truck lanes of the NJ TP a lot, and there are some jerks, but no different than cars.

Interesting. Around here, truckers are among the most sensible drivers on the road. Maybe that says more about the rest of the drivers than it says about the truckers...

I understand the left lane is sometimes smoother and that might be a reason to camp out there. Not a legitimate one, but an explanation for those genuinely puzzled.

The middle lane here of the 3-lane turnpike is the worst disaster. Dolts on cruise control at exactly the speed limit. Then the high-speed lane is 1/2 a mile an hour over and if you're not tailgating the guy in front, a disgruntled middle-laner will cut in. Dangerous, as you get accordion-stacking when someone taps the brakes 15 cars up.

The right lane is open half the time; if the cruise controlled dude would just move over 25% of the time it would uncork the mess behind themselves. But they are oblivious.

Truckers are courteous here, and, even better, predictable. They only tailgate those who really have it coming. It's worse on the 2-lane section of I-80 in PA where they bomb down hills in both lanes and lose speed on the uphills. Best coping mechanism for cars is to not change lanes and just match a truck's speed. And for god's sake don't go the speed limit on a downhill out of spite.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Interesting. Around here, truckers are among the most sensible drivers on the road. Maybe that says more about the rest of the drivers than it says about the truckers...

Couldn't agree more. I think truck drivers are more careful and courteous than most drivers.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I drove through Richmond, Va on 6 lane I-95 yesterday both north and southbound in an 18 wheeler and was intermittently in the left lane from mile marker 52 to mile marker 82 where there are NO lane restrictions!

Isn't it against the law for 18 wheels to use the left lane on a 3 lane highway in VA? It is here, and the highway patrol are looking for those guys.

Originally Posted By: grampi
They're outta control. I've never seen so many that just don't give a rat's batootie about laws or common courtesy. I have seen them doing two things lately that they should be getting ticketed for. One is they're camping in the left lane on 4 lane highways. They're not overtaking any other vehicles, they're just driving in the left lane for no reason, and others have no choice but to pass them on the right. The other thing I'm seeing them doing more and more often is driving in the far left lane when there are more than 2 lanes. Semis are supposed to stay clear of the left lane a drive in the right 2 lanes. These guys should be getting ticketed for impeding traffic flow, but I guess as long as law enforcement is non-existent, and nothing is being done about it, like people and cell phone use while driving, the problem is only going to get worse until enough people get killed....

So let me ask, when was the last time that you saw one get pulled over? I don't think I ever have!

Originally Posted By: Anduril
I hate when they try to pass each other on 2-lane stretches of freeway, reducing the entire flow of traffic down to 55-60 mph.

THIS!!! That drives me bat-*bleep* crazY!!!
crazy2.gif
Truck one doing 92Km/h getting passed by truck two doing 92.5Km/h!!!

Originally Posted By: Srt20
I think texting and driving is WAY worse of an issue.

Just the other day some girl was texting and driving down the freeway swerving. I had to do something before she crashed. So I pulled along side of her and rolled down my window and threw my beer can at her to get her to stop.
wink.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I hate when they try to pass each other on 2-lane stretches of freeway, reducing the entire flow of traffic down to 55-60 mph.

crazy2.gif

I'm a trucker and I agree with this whole heartedly. My truck is governed at 99.5 and the driver behind me is governed at 100.25 and yes they will all certainly try to pass. Once I see the predictable idiot passing, I drop my speed a bit to help...

It is NOT against the law for 18 wheelers to use the left lane on I-95 from Petersburg, Va at MM 52 to mm 84 where I-295 and I-95 merge. North of mm 82 and south of mm 52 the left lane is restricted to commercial vehicles except buses. Most people aren't even aware that signs telling of lane restrictions even exist because it doesn't apply to them, but they're there.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I understand the left lane is sometimes smoother and that might be a reason to camp out there. Not a legitimate one, but an explanation for those genuinely puzzled.

Of course the trucks rut/destroy the lanes, so the preference is to have them out of the left lane on a multi-lane highway. The 401 is 3, 4, 5 and sometimes 6 lanes wide in each direction, there's absolutely ZERO reason for a truck to be in the left-most lane (and it is illegal). If they are concerned about merging traffic, being in lane 2 is a fine option and overtaking in lane 3. However I've seen them 3-across numerous times taking up most of the bloody highway with one truck doing 1/4 of a Km/h faster than the one he's trying to pass. Then we hit a hill and the overtaking truck doesn't have enough jam and starts to fall back. It is maddening!

Originally Posted By: CurtisB
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

crazy2.gif

I'm a trucker and I agree with this whole heartedly. My truck is governed at 99.5 and the driver behind me is governed at 100.25 and yes they will all certainly try to pass. Once I see the predictable idiot passing, I drop my speed a bit to help...

THANK YOU!!!
thumbsup2.gif
I've seen a few guys like you and it is really nice to see that some of you guys are aware of the rolling roadblock phenomenon and do your best to mitigate it
smile.gif

I try to be very understanding of truckers. They are in a difficult circumstance, trying to drive a vehicle that's 80' long through traffic, keep on schedule, conserve fuel, be safe, and as much as possible avoid irritating other drivers.

That said, it really does seem like there are more bad CDL drivers on the road than ever before. I've seen a lot of the same problems that many of you have mentioned. It seems the worst offenders are more amateur independent drivers such as farmers, and smaller rigs, such as local delivery 10 wheelers.

Although I often forget, I try to remember that courteous driving begins with me. If I want others to show me respect on the road, I have to show them how. On more than one occasion I've got a smile and a "thumbs up" of appreciation from a truck driver after extending a little courtesy to them.

I'd say the truckers are probably the best drivers of the batch ... it's usually cars and light trucks that are causing them trouble. Not letting semis change lanes ... cutting in front of them when leaving space in traffic etc. This is my experience in the Greater Vancouver area. On the rare occasion I've seen a few go too fast for the conditions, but otherwise a decent lot of drivers.

I have a tangential beef. What's with these guys who run long spikes on their front lug nuts. How are these legal? They look like an accident ready to happen.

Move to Texas - most of the interstate they're banned from being in the left lane. We also dropped the "your a truck go slower" rule state wide. Amazing how nice the traffic flows now when all the vehicles are going 75...

It's funny you posted this, I was going to post this soon too.

The truck drivers text and swerve all over the place too.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Move to Texas - most of the interstate they're banned from being in the left lane. We also dropped the "your a truck go slower" rule state wide. Amazing how nice the traffic flows now when all the vehicles are going 75...

I was coming out of Oklahoma around midnight when they raised the speed for trucks. You are spot on because the traffic flowed so much better. Back then in east part of Texas I think it was 70 for cars and 60 for trucks during the day. And at night it was 55 for truck. Over 800 miles across Texas, so there was no way I was moving along at 55.

Here they refer to themselves as the "Knights of the Road", there's another C word that fits more appropriately.

I've changed my commute to avoid a particular intersection on the highway (that I ave to get onto).

Hearing the tucks on the highway spooling up to run the red is terrifying, as they sail through after you've had 2-3 seconds of green.

Pulling out to overtake another truck when you are already 2-3 car lengths along their trailer, then staying out there "just because", and dumping fist sized boulders that sometimes are clay and break up, and sometimes are hard rock.

I had sympathy for truckies in the '80s, but their workplace behaviour in the last 10-15 years has become attrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back