Shocked by lack of quality control on a 2020 Lincoln Continental

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edmunds had the same alignment issue on their Continental back in 2017. Obviously whoever was hanging driver's doors at the factory had some issues getting things lined up (or if a robot was doing this, it had a calibration issue that never got resolved.)

These Conitnentals are super cheap on the pre-owned market. 3yo, very low mileage AWD certified can be purchased for new Camry money. Personally, I would buy one of these over a new Camry any day.

Reactions: pbm
Like someone else mentioned that defect is NOT able to be corrected by using the adjustments on the door or pillar mountings.

I'll tell you what though, Ford doesn't really care because Lincoln being dropped in the next couple of few years.
They should have dropped the brand back when they canned Mercury. Too much money spend on too few sales with this brand.

Lincoln will still be around, but over the next few years it will just be SUVs assembled in China and imported to the US. I can see a scenario where the only North American built Lincoln in the future will be the Navigator.

Buick has also started down this road with the China-built Envision, and the South Korean built Encore and Encore GX. The only North American built model Buick has right now is the Enclave.

Having seen what I've seen on 2 of my Focuses, I suspect a stamping issue. The issue with the Focus has been the junction where the A-Pillar, hood and fender come together. On some cars (2 of mine), that junction was just plain sloppy, and no amount of adjustment fixes it. It's a shame to see something like that on a 'luxury' car. It was bad enough on their economy cars.

Tax code 179 and trust me it allows
me many other benefits as well.
Of course for business use.
I also keep my vehicles in excellent condition and have a line of buyers waiting. Even dealers...
If it wasn't for the above I would keep them as long as possible.
Our trucks get pretty beat up from the work we do. The drivers seat is badly torn on the 2010 Tacoma and 2013 Silverado. My 2005 seats are fine (cloth seats on the gmt800 were much better than the gmt900). My console was completely destroyed though and I had to get one from the wreckers.

They don't have a lot of value after a few years as a surveying truck. Lettering on the side, paint scratches from driving through the woods, lack of maintenance etc.

Our trucks get pretty beat up from the work we do. The drivers seat is badly torn on the 2010 Tacoma and 2013 Silverado. My 2005 seats are fine (cloth seats on the gmt800 were much better than the gmt900). My console was completely destroyed though and I had to get one from the wreckers.

They don't have a lot of value after a few years as a surveying truck. Lettering on the side, paint scratches from driving through the woods, lack of maintenance etc.
Remember though you can take a 100% deduction the first year and then just run it into the ground.
When I worked construction rust and accidents wore out our fleet as well as about 40 various drivers-lol

We had the death wobble start on one of the superdutys at work around 50k miles, it needed many of the front end components replaced at that time. None of the three in the fleet made it to 100k without having the issue. There is a guy whos brother in law had the death wobble on a 2 year old truck with 25k miles on it.
I kid you not that I drove a 2020 F250 with 8 miles on it when I was looking around and it already had the DW.
I loved the truck but refused it and the service manager was called out and we took a drive and he was shocked.
Could have been an assembly issue but it was bad on just expansion joints that were a bit raised.

100% on the GMT900 seats. The 40/20/40 front seat experienced high warranty claims on the GMT900 platform. From what I saw it looked like the metal seat frame had weak welds. I actually knew a guy who complained about the driver seat on his 2013 Silverado sinking. Turned out to be a broken seat frame replaced under warranty. He was a big guy, but the frame should accommodate that. The bucket seats seemed fine.

100% on the GMT900 seats. The 40/20/40 front seat experienced high warranty claims on the GMT900 platform. From what I saw it looked like the metal seat frame had weak welds. I actually knew a guy who complained about the driver seat on his 2013 Silverado sinking. Turned out to be a broken seat frame replaced under warranty. He was a big guy, but the frame should accommodate that. The bucket seats seemed fine.
Interesting we have a 2016 Silverado 2500 with about 70k miles in our fleet. It feels like you are sitting in a hole. I wonder if it has an issue with the seat frame.

We did had a GMT800 in the fleet that ended up with a broken seat frame, it was a truck with constant in and out and one of the drivers is a bit heavier, but not that heavy.

As far as the misaligned door...too many workers are only in it for a paycheck and have no pride in their work anymore. Look at the 'teachers' who refuse to go to work over Covid while EMTs, nurses, doctors, firefighters, police, postal workers, grocery store workers etc...go to work under far more dangerous conditions (Covidwise]. I'm sure their 'attitude' would change if they lost their guaranteed paycheck for not showing up.

Interesting we have a 2016 Silverado 2500 with about 70k miles in our fleet. It feels like you are sitting in a hole. I wonder if it has an issue with the seat frame.

We did had a GMT800 in the fleet that ended up with a broken seat frame, it was a truck with constant in and out and one of the drivers is a bit heavier, but not that heavy.
How much care people take has a huge affect also. My friend who did the rocker panels on my truck noted that my driver's side was mint and the passenger side was beat to hell. I am a light guy and climb into the truck carefully to not wear things out. The passengers haven't always given a ****. The passenger door and fender buckled a bit because of the one guy I used to work with kicking the door against the end of its travel to get it to come back so he wouldn't have to reach for it. He did a lot of things that were hard on it.

They did knock it out of the park with its elegant styling. Those door handles are very unique. The whole vehicle design language screens old school elegant which is something special in today’s world.

It failed because sedans have dropped in popularity and buyers have moved to suvs.
Apparently elegant styling doesn't sell these days.
OK to be fair I saw one yesterday.
The front end is nice but the rear is butt ugly.
It's like two different teams designed them and never talked.
And not a lot of people were willing to pay $50K and up when that money buys the likes of Lexus,BMW,Mercedes and on.

Every time I see gauges in GM I am wondering whether anyone told them that Bill Clinton is not president anymore.
On topic, I still cannot figure out what is role Lincoln has in Ford line up?
Lincoln is to Ford what Cadillac is to GM, Lexus is to Toyota, Acura is to Honda etc...the theory was that you moved up to a Lincoln from a Ford as you attained wealth, status etc...The problem is that most Lincolns were just gussied up Fords (the same engines etc...). When Ford and GM were flush with cash 30 years ago...instead of putting it into product development they bought other makes (Volvo, Saab etc...). That's what happens when MBAs rather than engineers are in charge....

Lincoln is to Ford what Cadillac is to GM, Lexus is to Toyota, Acura is to Honda etc...the theory was that you moved up to a Lincoln from a Ford as you attained wealth, status etc...The problem is that most Lincolns were just gussied up Fords (the same engines etc...). When Ford and GM were flush with cash 30 years ago...instead of putting it into product development they bought other makes (Volvo, Saab etc...). That's what happens when MBAs rather than engineers are in charge....
I know the idea where Lincoln is. However, several I drove don’t differentiate from regular Ford’s. So, don’t understand idea of a vehicle like that. Do they make any money on them? Bcs. it is not like it is popular luxury brand by any means.

As far as the misaligned door...too many workers are only in it for a paycheck and have no pride in their work anymore. Look at the 'teachers' who refuse to go to work over Covid while EMTs, nurses, doctors, firefighters, police, postal workers, grocery store workers etc...go to work under far more dangerous conditions (Covidwise]. I'm sure their 'attitude' would change if they lost their guaranteed paycheck for not showing up.

"Look at this expert" on education and how to run a school...

I have 1600 humans in my building that have the ability to transmit Covid. The 1600 includes 150 adults with various roles and responsibilities. At any given time, roughly 5% of the building is out on due to Covid. We have lost parents and staff members have lost family to Covid.

You're misaligned.

"Look at this expert" on education and how to run a school...

I have 1600 humans in my building that have the ability to transmit Covid. The 1600 includes 150 adults with various roles and responsibilities. At any given time, roughly 5% of the building is out on due to Covid. We have lost parents and staff members have lost family to Covid.

You're misaligned.
The CDC just said it's SAFE to go back to school (not to mention that children are statistically least likely to have/give/get COVID.) If the minimum wage checkout person at the supermarket can go to work so can teachers. Like I said...stop their paycheck and they'll be back in a minute. PS: Nurses, Doctors, EMTs, small business owners, cashiers etc...have also lost family members to Covid....but they go to work because they don't have guaranteed salaries...Did you know that NYC can't even fire teachers who have sexually abused children because of their contract...they put them in 'rubber rooms' (Google it) where they continue to get paid for doing nothing...often for years...

Last edited:
I think they already are... When I went to the car show in 2014, I could sense... Desperation. (They were heavily pushing the Buick Credenza or Cadenza or whatever that Daewoo-looking Chinese Buick convertible that was around for like 2 years like a Dodge Dart was.) In 2019, 5 years later... Same thing, very big "yawn." pick-ups dominated the presentation.

I think there is absolute panic going on and nobody knows quite what to do.

Why people don't like sedans, buy sedans, why companies stopped making sedans (supposedly Buick has no sedans for sale? My information may be dated) is beyond me...
.... followed by the RUSH to bring small sedans to market when and if gas prices spike, which my "world view" says they will.

. . .
The small convertible was called the Cascada -- which looked like the word "cicada" to me. But it was sharp looking, based on the Verano platform, I believe. And yes, unfortunately, Buick has stopped making sedans. The last year for the LaCrosse (3rd gen) was 2019, and I'm pretty sure Regal is gone too. Nothing but SUVs/CUVs.

When the gas prices soar, watch people dump their big heavy vehicles, just as they did in 1974.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back