Shocked by lack of quality control on a 2020 Lincoln Continental

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Nissan was made in Canton Mississippi
I think that's a good thing.
My Nissan was made in Japan, and I must say, it did disappoint me in several ways, but fit/finish wasn't one at least.
My problem with the Japanese car makers is that they're not "Made in Japan" anymore. Of course my Nissan was 100% made in Japan.
Yes, and more and more are going that way sadly. My CX5 Turbo is 100% Japanese, both manufactured and assembled and has small parts assemblies from Japan. Sadly Mazda says this will change on their new CX50 models. If/when they begin using 3rd world suppliers, I will take my business elsewhere. They clawed their way to the #1 most reliable brand spot by NOT doing this, and if they change it, you can bet they will lose it just like Toyota did.

My Nissan was made in Japan, and I must say, it did disappoint me in several ways, but fit/finish wasn't one at least.

Yes, and more and more are going that way sadly. My CX5 Turbo is 100% Japanese, both manufactured and assembled and has small parts assemblies from Japan. Sadly Mazda says this will change on their new CX50 models. If/when they begin using 3rd world suppliers, I will take my business elsewhere. They clawed their way to the #1 most reliable brand spot by NOT doing this, and if they change it, you can bet they will lose it just like Toyota did.

Many of the suppliers that Mazda and Toyota use are also putting up plants near the MTMUS plant.

Edit to add: Here are examples...

Denso is already there.

Last edited:
I have been lucky- never had the DW on any of my trucks
But I don't keep them forever either.

We had the death wobble start on one of the superdutys at work around 50k miles, it needed many of the front end components replaced at that time. None of the three in the fleet made it to 100k without having the issue. There is a guy whos brother in law had the death wobble on a 2 year old truck with 25k miles on it.

First thread I clicked on and already got my daily fill of BITOG brand bashing! As a bonus, I even got bashing by country as well!
How is that brand bashing? I call that defect bashing. I dont care what vehicle it is, if they cant even get the door aligned properly at the factory what does that say about the rest of the vehicle? No matter the brand if I see a defect like that on a brand new vehicle I am going to call it out as its ridiculous, especially on a 70k vehicle!

How is that brand bashing? I call that defect bashing. I dont care what vehicle it is, if they cant even get the door aligned properly at the factory what does that say about the rest of the vehicle? No matter the brand if I see a defect like that on a brand new vehicle I am going to call it out as its ridiculous, especially on a 70k vehicle!
Did you read the entire thread? It turned into a brand bashing against Ford...

Did you read the entire thread? It turned into a brand bashing against Ford...

There have been stories this past year of problems with Explorers coming off the line that needed fixing. Ford had to set up large tents to handle the numbers.

Obviously they have a problem. How are they fixing it is the big question. I’m not sure it has been addressed.

Reactions: Ws6
And the interior wasn't designed well? Same as how a Taurus (do they still make those, aside for the police?) is "cramped" inside, platform being OLD?
nope... they do not... The Sixth Gen Taurus ended production in March 2019.
Too bad they don’t make a Ford version and call it the Taurus. Decent looking car otherwise.
They Do. Since 2015, they just didn't sell it outside China until 2020, when it replaced defunct US model in the Middle East.

Ford_Taurus_CN_01_China_2019-03-14.jpg

for those not in the know... this continental is in essence, just a Stretched Fusion/Mondeo/MKZ. (5.7 inches for the Continental, while the Chinese Seventh Gen Taurus is only a 3.9 inch stretch)
the platform was developed for/by Ford's Chinese co-venture and Ford Australia.

as for the whole 10 year parts availability thing... I remember an old top gear episode, where one of the trio said that the Germans have a law requiring their car makers to have parts available for 10 years when they discontinue a car...

Last edited:
We had the death wobble start on one of the superdutys at work around 50k miles, it needed many of the front end components replaced at that time. None of the three in the fleet made it to 100k without having the issue. There is a guy whos brother in law had the death wobble on a 2 year old truck with 25k miles on it.
A friend of mine has a 2017 Super Duty with the 6.7L diesel and his got the death wobble at around 23,000 miles. Ford replaced the front stabilizing shock which fixed the problem for now but I'm sure it will come back from what I have read. I think he only has around 25,000 miles on it now.

JT20,

A few comments on your post ""We don't want the market"". That will be the death of Ford and GM. Not in the Lincoln or Cadillac, but in the entry level sedan. Why Ford invests so much in a mustang, and Chevy invests so much in a Corvette- but they don't offer a world class entry level sedan for young adults? These young adults buying Honda Civic, Toyota Corrollas, etc will be lifelong buyers of Honda and Toyota. Many of the Mustang and Corvette buyers are older guys.....

Yes, the Continental looks great- and I would love for it to give me the "just buy it" feeling. When I sat in it- I did not get that feeling. My daily driver is a 2005 Mercedes S500 with 206k miles. My sense was it was a more comfortable drive that the 2020 Continental.

Think the days of Ford and GM will be done if they can't sell high profit pickups. Maybe americans will have the funds for 40k-80k pickups for years to come,,,,,, but if not, I sense Ford and GM will be toast.
I think they already are... When I went to the car show in 2014, I could sense... Desperation. (They were heavily pushing the Buick Credenza or Cadenza or whatever that Daewoo-looking Chinese Buick convertible that was around for like 2 years like a Dodge Dart was.) In 2019, 5 years later... Same thing, very big "yawn." pick-ups dominated the presentation.

I think there is absolute panic going on and nobody knows quite what to do.

Why people don't like sedans, buy sedans, why companies stopped making sedans (supposedly Buick has no sedans for sale? My information may be dated) is beyond me...
.... followed by the RUSH to bring small sedans to market when and if gas prices spike, which my "world view" says they will.

My down the street neighbor has the vintage S500 (they got uglier in 2007 IMHO though they still look good) and I put gas in a 2002 at work once. That's another car I want and looks drop-dear gorgeous. I am curious as to the COO.

Ford had a chance when they designed the new Continental to do something special.
They could have knocked it out the park with styling.
They failed.
Whoever green lighted that boring design should have been fired.
Now on the other hand I think they have done a good job on the new Lincoln SUVs.
And the new marketing strategy of comfort and peacefulness is brillant.
If I was in the market for a luxury SUV Lincoln would be on my list to look at in person.

Ford had a chance when they designed the new Continental to do something special.
They could have knocked it out the park with styling.
They failed.
Whoever green lighted that boring design should have been fired.
Now on the other hand I think they have done a good job on the new Lincoln SUVs.
And the new marketing strategy of comfort and peacefulness is brillant.
If I was in the market for a luxury SUV Lincoln would be on my list to look at in person.
They did knock it out of the park with its elegant styling. Those door handles are very unique. The whole vehicle design language screens old school elegant which is something special in today’s world.

It failed because sedans have dropped in popularity and buyers have moved to suvs.

In the past, I was very pro Continental (and Ford in general). The three best cars I had in the past were Two 1998 Continentals and One 2001 Continental. Because of this, I bought a new 2017 Continental, expecting it to be a great luxury car. WRONG!!!
It was the absolute WORST modern day car I’ve ever owned. So many things wrong with it I don’t know where to start. Dealer fixed some of the problems, but other problems could not be corrected. Finally I was so exasperated, I dumped it after only a few months. What a POS!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back