3rd Heater Core Plugged In 6 Months...

It would be interesting to find out what the material that's plugging things looks like. Is it "goo"? What color? Does it smell like petroleum? Is there sand in it?

You may even want to buy a gallon each of the potentially incompatible coolants and mix them together to see what happens. Dilute with distilled water and heat in a pan on a stove. Imagine if you saw it gel up right before your eyes. If so, there's your answer.

At any rate, a bizarre problem for sure.

Scott

Edit: Did you buy the truck new? If not, maybe the previous owner R&R'd with something incompatible that's having a lasting effect somehow.

Last edited:
The only conclusion that I can think of is coolant incompatibility to react so quickly or copious amounts of stop leak.
Since you used the correct coolant and nothing else, I would suspect the dealer screwing this up by either using wrong coolant or stop leak.

I went in last week and talked to the service manager, I was surprised to fine he actually seems like a strait shooter and seemed like he was being honest with me. He doesn't think the tech did much of a flush despite what he wrote in his notes. He wants to ensure it gets a very good flush next time. It didn't sound like hes been impressed with the quality of work from this tech recently so I showed him some pictures I tool of the interior and trim pieces that he messed up putting it back together, it doesn't sound like this guy will be employed there much longer if he even still is.

We agreed that when I have a chance to bring it in again we will schedule it in with his most senior tech and ensure I good job is done flushing the system. Hopefully it will be the last time.

Do you need the heater core right now? I'd get it out of the loop and a filter in it's place, something easily changed or cleaned. And this until the filter stops clogging

Back