self checkout, opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Heck, speaking of privacy, there was some 3rd party guys working for Apple that could use an iPhone to listen to "coaching" conversations in couples bedrooms.

Hopefully nobody has a smart speaker or robotic vacuum either.

We have way more issues than getting recorded at the grocery store.

Except for this forum, the vast majority of people could care less about being recorded or surveilled from the likes of google with its google android, google chrome, google gmail, google nest, any and all wifi devices in their homes etc, as long as google/companies keep giving them "free stuff" in return for them giving up their privacy the public will care less.

Like hello! :eek:) You think "free stuff" just comes out of thin air and out of this thin air companies like google end up with an endless, massive profit stream?
*L* Hello again!

You do realize dlundblad was speaking of APPLE listening on people, right? He did not mention Google. I get that you don't like Google, but you should not blame them for things Apple has done.

Originally Posted by terry274
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Heck, speaking of privacy, there was some 3rd party guys working for Apple that could use an iPhone to listen to "coaching" conversations in couples bedrooms.

Hopefully nobody has a smart speaker or robotic vacuum either.

We have way more issues than getting recorded at the grocery store.

Except for this forum, the vast majority of people could care less about being recorded or surveilled from the likes of google with its google android, google chrome, google gmail, google nest, any and all wifi devices in their homes etc, as long as google/companies keep giving them "free stuff" in return for them giving up their privacy the public will care less.

Like hello! :eek:) You think "free stuff" just comes out of thin air and out of this thin air companies like google end up with an endless, massive profit stream?
*L* Hello again!

You do realize dlundblad was speaking of APPLE listening on people, right? He did not mention Google. I get that you don't like Google, but you should not blame them for things Apple has done.

Yup, Siri on my wife's iPhone has gone off plenty of times without being prompted. But clearly Google is the evil doer here...

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by CARJ
I like it. I can get in and out quickly.

I don't like it at all.

Besides the fact that I'm old and slow as molasses, I'm always purchasing prohibited items (such as spray paint or carb cleaner) that requires I wait for customer support.

That last part really is annoying. Last month I buy a can of WD40 and don't I have to get age or whatever checked. I just laughed and asked why. She didn't have a clue. I assume it's the same as spray paint, huffing. I told the woman I thought now I'd seen it all. From meth right down to grass I've seen it allL. The lowest was some indian convicts sniffing paint and gasoline fumes in a prison. The one thing I near did see was some junkie or convict sniffin 🤢spray oil. We got a laugh out of the futility of it all.
The booze and cigarette age sure thats state law. Even meth ingredient precursors like Sudafed behind the counter sure but cans of spray paint and oil? Who are they kidding but themselves?

As self checkouts go-I will often use them, especially at Wal-Mart. Among many other things, the fact that there may only be two lines open and I'd be waiting forever for a cashier makes it easier.

I don't drink or smoke, so don't need authorization for that, but the self check can be annoying when I'm buying things like carb cleaner. Also, gift cards with a "customizable" amount require an employee to come over and punch it in, so I'd rather just go through a regular check out line for that.

Earlier today, I was in Wal-Mart and was reminded of one other downside to their self check-I had 8 of the same item, and there was only one rack of bags. It was a tight fit to get them all in.

Kroger is a different story. Generally the regular check-out lines aren't that long so I don't mind going through them. Self check is also convenient, though, and especially on the lines that have the carousel of bags so that you don't have too much worry about running out.

Originally Posted by Driz

That last part really is annoying. Last month I buy a can of WD40 and don't I have to get age or whatever checked.

When I was about 28 or so, the wife and I went to a friends wedding. In NY. I had recently bought an air rifle so I went over to a local Walmart and bought some pellets. And got carded. That was my intro to ID laws for "ammunition" (and which drove me into going into shooting as I didn't agree with being carded).

The booze and cigarette age sure thats state law.

At least once I hit about 35 or so they stopped carding me.

Even meth ingredient precursors like Sudafed behind the counter sure but cans of spray paint and oil? Who are they kidding but themselves?

I had a pharmacist joke about it. He told me that now that they were carding, there was no more illegal drugs being made. 'cuz it really was making a difference...

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
Last fall I put one of their plastic bags over the top of the Monitor. Some officious little floorwalker demanded I remove the bag, because, she squawked, it was "suspicious." She threatened me with her manager; I said, "Bring it on." Manager was too busy looking at her phone to come over.

If someone is in my business putting a bag over my security camera, I'll have pulled my gun out and politely ask him what is he trying to do. You can't blame anyone but yourself for that.

As long as I'm a paying customer, and not damaging the equipment, I see no reason to be confronted with my unshaven, sweaty image that early in the morning.

The key word here is "politely." Little floorwalker was demanding, not treating me politely, so I ignored her. The so-called manager couldn't be bothered about it either.

I'm not looking for confrontations, so now I use the regular checkout. I await, however, the day that the only checkout stand available is the 10 or less line, and they tell me that because I have 20 items I can't check out there. The manager will hear from me on that.

The problem is, security can't tell if you are a polite robber or just a polite celebrity trying to avoid paparazzi.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Likely mentioned above depends on cashier working.

Yesterday I waited one person at Whole Foods skipping open self checkout because the glowing beautiful early 20's blond blue eyed cashier was working there. So pleasant ....

I never go to a check out ... unless as above :eek:)

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Oh here's the problem. You expect privacy at a public place in a business. There should be no expectation of privacy when you're out in public especially in a store where they show you the video footage.

Your expectations and reality and the law aren't in agreement.

The proper response to your objection is to not patronize the business.
Absolutely, 100% spot-on response !

I don't like self checkout at all!
I shop at WM a lot. And, I use an electric cart to get around in there. It's so much easier to use a lane with a cashier where he/she can bag my groceries. They don't let the human cashiers start checking out other humans until 7 AM. I have no idea what time they go to self checkout at night.
WM is the only store that I know that has self checkout. I think HOME DEPOT does too.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I don't like self checkout at all!
I shop at WM a lot. And, I use an electric cart to get around in there. It's so much easier to use a lane with a cashier where he/she can bag my groceries. They don't let the human cashiers start checking out other humans until 7 AM. I have no idea what time they go to self checkout at night.
WM is the only store that I know that has self checkout. I think HOME DEPOT does too.

I'm sorry to hear that. Corporates are always going to give up the 1% of the businesses that they are not making the most money on, to grow another 1% of the business that they can make more money on. This include as you say no human cashiers at 7am, or flat out not even open at 7am. At least these days they have new tech that you can order online and have them deliver to you, or bring it to your parking spot and load it into your trunk (maybe you need to tip them to do that).

At least they still have human cashiers and take cash, I know restaurants like Sweet Green is starting to accept no cash (you have to pay with a card because they don't want to deal with cash).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back