More news on self checkouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they have installed self checkouts at WM, I haven't had to wait more then 1-3min in line.

I have walked out of WM many times due to not wanting to wait on a 15min+ line for the two only open cashiers.

With a few items, self checkout can be nice. Alcohol somewhat complicates things if the place is busy and/ or if the person running the area isn't paying attention.

A cart full of stuff at self checkout sucks, but it is what it is. With flu season, I'd rather do if myself anyways.

Originally Posted by Imp4
. . .
The world does not know you're a colonel with a PhD and more importantly, the world doesn't care. It's immaterial.
Agreed, and I'm all good with that. I was trying to paint the picture, the visual of the situation. Suffice it to say that I don't exactly look the part of the typical "huffer". . .
If you want Sta-bil, it 'Show us your papers', and nothing else.

The problem, of course, is WHAT PAPERS??? If you want a jug of booze, produce something that establishes your age. You want to rent an airplane? Show something that establishes your citizenship (or TSA approval for a rental).

But a little bottle of Sta-bil fuel preservative? Not sure where you are, but I'm pretty sure that here in Florida, the state isn't in the business of issuing "Non-Huffer Certificates."
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Since they have installed self checkouts at WM, I haven't had to wait more then 1-3min in line.
I have walked out of WM many times due to not wanting to wait on a 15min+ line for the two only open cashiers.

Your advice is great...in theory.
Several months ago, I was making a trip from Texas to Kansas and it was an hour or so after sundown in the middle of Oklahoma. I noticed that I had a headlight out on my F150 and I didn't want to get stopped.
Since it was late enough that all auto part stores were closed, I stopped at a WalMart in Blackwell, Oklahoma to buy a headlight bulb. Leaving my wallet in my truck, I grabbed a $20, walked into the store and there was a single cashier with about 20 people in line. I went to the back side of the store, grabbed a replacement headlight bulb and hit the line at the self-checkout. There were about 10 self checkouts in use and I waited for the next register to open. For being so late in the evening, the wait was incredibly long, but a register finally opened up. I ring up the headlight, insert the $20 and get hit with the message to see the associate. I waved her over, asked her to tell me the problem and she tells me that my register TAKES CREDIT ONLY. There were no signs posted that stated that. She pointed to the only two machines there that took cash and, of course, I had to go to the back of the line and wait to use the only two self-service machines in the store that took cash.
A five minute shopping spree turned into 30. Have prices been lowered since the cashiers all have lost their jobs? I don't think so.
At least the robot bartenders shouldn't have to want tips, but I'm sure the bar owners will get that out of the customers somehow.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I can't believe this self checkout isn't subject to frequent shoplifting, intentional or accidental, especially at supermarkets. I've seen cashiers scan items 3 or 4 times before they register, so what's to prevent an inattentive shopper from just scanning and tossing in the bag anything that didn't scan? And that's in addition to intentionally putting a few items in the bag without scanning.

The bahgging area is a scale-if the weight doesn't match, the system flags it.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
That's exactly why I don't pay bills online. It's saving them money, but I'm not getting any of that savings.

Seriously? That 50 cent stamp you don't have to use on each bill isn't a savings for you? Not to mention the time savings. I can pay ten bills on my checking account billpay in 3 minutes vs. 30 minutes writing out checks. The $5 I save on postage is a nice bonus.

Originally Posted by Kruse

Your advice is great...in theory.
Several months ago, I was making a trip from Texas to Kansas and it was an hour or so after sundown in the middle of Oklahoma. I noticed that I had a headlight out on my F150 and I didn't want to get stopped.
Since it was late enough that all auto part stores were closed, I stopped at a WalMart in Blackwell, Oklahoma to buy a headlight bulb. Leaving my wallet in my truck, I grabbed a $20, walked into the store and there was a single cashier with about 20 people in line. I went to the back side of the store, grabbed a replacement headlight bulb and hit the line at the self-checkout. There were about 10 self checkouts in use and I waited for the next register to open. For being so late in the evening, the wait was incredibly long, but a register finally opened up. I ring up the headlight, insert the $20 and get hit with the message to see the associate. I waved her over, asked her to tell me the problem and she tells me that my register TAKES CREDIT ONLY. There were no signs posted that stated that. She pointed to the only two machines there that took cash and, of course, I had to go to the back of the line and wait to use the only two self-service machines in the store that took cash.
A five minute shopping spree turned into 30. Have prices been lowered since the cashiers all have lost their jobs? I don't think so.
At least the robot bartenders shouldn't have to want tips, but I'm sure the bar owners will get that out of the customers somehow.

That late, the other registers were probably out of change.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I can't believe this self checkout isn't subject to frequent shoplifting, intentional or accidental, especially at supermarkets. I've seen cashiers scan items 3 or 4 times before they register, so what's to prevent an inattentive shopper from just scanning and tossing in the bag anything that didn't scan? And that's in addition to intentionally putting a few items in the bag without scanning.

The few times I've used it that hasn't happened. Placed the scanned items off to the side or back in the cart and completed checkout just fine.

For being so late in the evening, the wait was incredibly long, but a register finally opened up. I ring up the headlight, insert the $20 and get hit with the message to see the associate. I waved her over, asked her to tell me the problem and she tells me that my register TAKES CREDIT ONLY. There were no signs posted that stated that. She pointed to the only two machines there that took cash and, of course, I had to go to the back of the line and wait to use the only two self-service machines in the store that took cash. A five minute shopping spree turned into 30. Have prices been lowered since the cashiers all have lost their jobs? I don't think so.

Sorry, still your fault for not having a credit card. What if the bulb had been more than $20 or what if you had remembered something else you might have needed? Plus why would you leave your wallet in your truck? More likely it'd be stolen there than if it's with you.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

You can always go directly from scanner to the bag in the cart if it didn't scan. Plus I think people probably forget to scan stuff under the cart all the time as some places remind you to do so.

You've invested the time going to Wallyworld, spent more time doing your shopping, then walk away because the 2 cashiers were busy instead of using self-checkout?

Did you then go to a different store or come back to Wallyworld later? Trouble is some employee has to waste their time putting everything back from your cart but it keeps more people working at least.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
. . .
The world does not know you're a colonel with a PhD and more importantly, the world doesn't care. It's immaterial.
Agreed, and I'm all good with that. I was trying to paint the picture, the visual of the situation. Suffice it to say that I don't exactly look the part of the typical "huffer". . .
If you want Sta-bil, it 'Show us your papers', and nothing else.

The problem, of course, is WHAT PAPERS??? If you want a jug of booze, produce something that establishes your age. You want to rent an airplane? Show something that establishes your citizenship (or TSA approval for a rental).

But a little bottle of Sta-bil fuel preservative? Not sure where you are, but I'm pretty sure that here in Florida, the state isn't in the business of issuing "Non-Huffer Certificates."
smirk2.gif

Yes but you know as well as I that the requirement is age based.
Why paint a picture based on your education and former military status?
It's immaterial.

The attendant that you slighted in your original description probably looked at you and quickly came to the conclusion that you weren't a high schooler.
But maybe this was missed in the interaction when you were busy noticing her food addiction as you mentioned.

aquariuscsm said:
My problem with the Scan-'n'-Go, or whatever Walmart calls their stations, is twofold:

1) Lines are often longer than for the cashiers' lanes

2) Most of the WMs here have installed a camera at each station. You can see your face as you grimace at the machine. None of their business what I'm buying, especially when I pay cash. I hold my fedora up and block the camera -- which makes my checkout slower. Ever try to check your items out, bag them, and pay when you have only one hand free? (Yes, I'm sure they have cameras filming you at the regular checkouts, but at least they are not so "LOOK AT BIG BROTHER RECORDING YOU!!!")

So now if you use your credit card, Big Brother officially has a high resolution photo of your face linked to your card, with a complete list of what you purchased down to your preference of which brand of toilet paper, all stored in the cloud. Nice.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
That's exactly why I don't pay bills online. It's saving them money, but I'm not getting any of that savings.

Seriously? That 50 cent stamp you don't have to use on each bill isn't a savings for you? Not to mention the time savings. I can pay ten bills on my checking account billpay in 3 minutes vs. 30 minutes writing out checks. The $5 I save on postage is a nice bonus.

The companies are getting a lot more savings than I would be. I don't write that many bills and don't use that many stamps in a month -- maybe 7-8.

Let 'em do a little work for the money they're dragging out of me. It's my little protest and probably won't work for everybody.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
For being so late in the evening, the wait was incredibly long, but a register finally opened up. I ring up the headlight, insert the $20 and get hit with the message to see the associate. I waved her over, asked her to tell me the problem and she tells me that my register TAKES CREDIT ONLY. There were no signs posted that stated that. She pointed to the only two machines there that took cash and, of course, I had to go to the back of the line and wait to use the only two self-service machines in the store that took cash. A five minute shopping spree turned into 30. Have prices been lowered since the cashiers all have lost their jobs? I don't think so.

Sorry, still your fault for not having a credit card. What if the bulb had been more than $20 or what if you had remembered something else you might have needed? Plus why would you leave your wallet in your truck? More likely it'd be stolen there than if it's with you.

You are making assumptions from my post and trying to change the subject at the same time. My wife stayed in the vehicle while I shopped. I highly doubt my wallet would be stolen with her in the vehicle. If you are an impulse buyer and fill your cart up with expected purchases, so be it. I needed a headlight only and I knew what they cost ahead of time.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

You've invested the time going to Wallyworld, spent more time doing your shopping, then walk away because the 2 cashiers were busy instead of using self-checkout?

Did you then go to a different store or come back to Wallyworld later? Trouble is some employee has to waste their time putting everything back from your cart but it keeps more people working at least.

I did that once while stopping at a Wal-Mart. I was at the self-checkout and the machine was not taking my gift card nor any of my credit cards. The two employees who were allegedly monitoring the lanes were busy chatting and I couldn't get their attention. Third employee walks up, sees me, and joins the chat instead of helping or sending one of the other two over.

At that point I left my stuff and walked out. Had they actually been doing their job, they wouldn't have had to put away the items I was trying to buy.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Heh, nah if I have a shopping cart I already invested my time so ill wait. The times I had walked out was just when I had one or two things in my hands, and stopped on my way home.

. . .
It's immaterial.

The attendant that you slighted in your original description probably looked at you and quickly came to the conclusion that you weren't a high schooler.
But maybe this was missed in the interaction when you were busy noticing her food addiction as you mentioned.
Lot's of "maybes" there. Glad you were there to watch the whole thing, and know me personally. Oh wait. . . So let's take this apart.

1) Again, I was setting up the visual. If you prefer, let's retro-edit my self-description. I'm 57 years old, 6' tall, 195 lbs, and can still run three miles in under 20 minutes. I can see my shoe laces while standing straight up. I wear my hair short and shave almost every day. There are many, many thousands of men out there who fall into this appearance category. I won't speak for the others, but I'm not often pegged as a drug abuser.

2) IF the requirement is in fact age-based, then why did this young lady feel the need to quiz me about my plans for the little bottle of Sta-bil? I don't doubt at all that age is a consideration in this scheme. But remember, this is Sta-bil, not booze or cigarettes. If the store wants to sell only to legal adults, then law permitting, all they need to do is say so, and enforce THAT policy. If the jurisdiction sets a legal age to buy, then all they have to do is "card" you. Yet I had to give an explanation of my intentions for the use of the Sta-bil -- that went well beyond age.

3) My "slighting" of the young lady involved was pretty mild here, and non-existent "on scene". As indicated, I didn't "get into it" with her, none of us know who she is (I don't even recall the name on her lapel tag). Frankly, though, I think she deserved a bit of "gigging", since she wasn't especially tactful, diplomatic or discrete about her standardless interrogation. She really acted as if I must be doing something wrong, buying Sta-bil. Again, if it were "age only" all she had to ask was, "you're over 17, right"? Or just "card" me. That would have been easy. You ever been frustrated and irritated? I was. It happens. Maybe I could have vented better.

4) Why are YOU so rubbed the wrong way about this? Thought I was being pompous? You plainly don't know me at all. I enjoyed my years in the Marines, but I'm VERY happy to be retired from it now. But I still don't look like anybody's druggie. If my mention of military service or status offends you, well, you're entitled to your opinions.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
. . .
It's immaterial.

Lot's of "maybes" there. Glad you were there to watch the whole thing, and know me personally. Oh wait. . . So let's take this apart.

1) Again, I was setting up the visual. If you prefer, let's retro-edit my self-description. I'm 57 years old, 6' tall, 195 lbs, and can still run three miles in under 20 minutes. I can see my shoe laces while standing straight up. I wear my hair short and shave almost every day. There are many, many thousands of men out there who fall into this appearance category. I won't speak for the others, but I'm not often pegged as a drug abuser.

2) IF the requirement is in fact age-based, then why did this young lady feel the need to quiz me about my plans for the little bottle of Sta-bil? I don't doubt at all that age is a consideration in this scheme. But remember, this is Sta-bil, not booze or cigarettes. If the store wants to sell only to legal adults, then law permitting, all they need to do is say so, and enforce THAT policy. If the jurisdiction sets a legal age to buy, then all they have to do is "card" you. Yet I had to give an explanation of my intentions for the use of the Sta-bil -- that went well beyond age.

3) My "slighting" of the young lady involved was pretty mild here, and non-existent "on scene". As indicated, I didn't "get into it" with her, none of us know who she is (I don't even recall the name on her lapel tag). Frankly, though, I think she deserved a bit of "gigging", since she wasn't especially tactful, diplomatic or discrete about her standardless interrogation. She really acted as if I must be doing something wrong, buying Sta-bil. Again, if it were "age only" all she had to ask was, "you're over 17, right"? Or just "card" me. That would have been easy. You ever been frustrated and irritated? I was. It happens. Maybe I could have vented better.

4) Why are YOU so rubbed the wrong way about this? Thought I was being pompous? You plainly don't know me at all. I enjoyed my years in the Marines, but I'm VERY happy to be retired from it now. But I still don't look like anybody's druggie. If my mention of military service or status offends you, well, you're entitled to your opinions.

1. Your visual is immaterial. Ironically, many strung out gas huffers can run fast too. This does not implicate you as such, but it goes to point out that your visual really isn't a constructive contribution here.

2.Who knows and who cares? Maybe she was wrong.

3.Nobody said it was a scene. Just using your own words and descriptions.

4. It all comes down to 'Show me your papers'. No matter your education, haircut, ability to run fast, etc....

Why is this any deal at all?!?

Have a nice day!
cheers3.gif

I just got back from our shopping at Fred Meyers. At the entrance where the scanners are all set and ready I noticed that I could also use their app on my iPhone. It's called Scan And Go. You scan your items as you shop and place them in the bags. ( good to have your own reusable bags here). Once you are done head to the self checkout to finish the payment and get your receipt.

I did check out this app and there are still some bugs but I will give it a go here in the future. $5 off on your first S&G experience.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I'm pretty split on the idea of automation. I couldn't tell someone they were fired because we found a cheaper robot to do their job, but robots will be SUPER consistent with creating goods and don't need tips. I can't stand the idea of tipping.

Usually from what I've seen, they are not let go, but reassigned to do something else (may not be a very high paying job). Over time some of them will leave through attrition and they just don't hire new people to replace them, until the headcounts hit a balance.

This is 2019, the automation has started some 25 years ago and it will continue, impossible to slow down or stop now. Imagine you pay 40% more on everything today because automation is not around and you have to hire people. Unless there's a monopoly in the industry this always happen through competition over time.

On the bright side, you need a lot fewer people to provide the same standard of living per person, and when we get old this will come in handy as fertility rate decrease, we will all be taken care of by affordable automation instead of abandoned and left to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back