More news on self checkouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Sams Club, My wife and I fill our cart with with stuff every week and just walk out the front door without going to a cashier or self check out.

Everything we buy, we scan on our smart phone and click the pay button as we walk out the front door.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
In Sams Club, My wife and I fill our cart with with stuff every week and just walk out the front door without going to a cashier or self check out.

Everything we buy, we scan on our smart phone and click the pay button as we walk out the front door.

Nice. At Sam's Club, checking out is the worst part. Somehow, Costco manages to do it quickly and efficiently, but Sam's has always been an ordeal. So, this is good!

Then like me you end up with a bunch of weird charges appear on your account while your asleep and they argue they have proof it was you and you have no right to argue that you didn't make the payment because the payments were made with your phone in your zip code.

Then your forced to deal with the wonderful identity theft process and it takes 3 months to get the fraudulent charges off your account because they have proof it was you because your phone was hacked.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

Then like me you end up with a bunch of weird charges appear on your account while your asleep and they argue they have proof it was you and you have no right to argue that you didn't make the payment because the payments were made with your phone in your zip code.

Then your forced to deal with the wonderful identity theft process and it takes 3 months to get the fraudulent charges off your account because they have proof it was you because your phone was hacked.

Ummm ... No

There will always be a percentage of people (and if you do get hacked, you did something wrong) who get hacked has nothing to do with this thread though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DBMaster

Nice. At Sam's Club, checking out is the worst part. Somehow, Costco manages to do it quickly and efficiently, but Sam's has always been an ordeal. So, this is good!

Like anything, location matters, Costco check out here is the worst, Sams Club rules, TONS of self checkouts and never a line, plus you can simply use the app and not even have to bother at any check out in the store.

Last edited:
NCR Fastlane is the make I see most often.

Sam's Club really hits home runs here; Costco has fallen. Sam's smartphone-based checkout is the schnitz.

It is much harder to hack a phone than the credit card reader, if you can do that you would go for much bigger loot than a Sam's Club trip. BTW, membership retailers usually don't worry as much about this because they know who you are from your membership info, basically eliminated the worst 10% of the customer base other non membership place has to deal with.

Which system are you using Rmay? I know that ApplePay does not use your card number but a random token number instead. Confirmation is done by TouchID or FaceID.

I consider it much safer than using the debit card itself.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Question. What happens when you don't scan that big jar of peanut butter and throw it in your shopping cart?

The same as you run a red light. Most of the time you get lucky, sometimes you don't. Statistically the store knows that it is a net gain instead of a net loss.

I know the Fred Meyers store perform random checks. How you get picked is another question. They also have cameras everywhere.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Which system are you using Rmay? I know that ApplePay does not use your card number but a random token number instead. Confirmation is done by TouchID or FaceID.

I consider it much safer than using the debit card itself.

Android and Samsung Pay also use tokenization. I wish gas stations would get on board with it and using it st the pump.

The safest method of any form of payment is a credit card.
You are never responsible for fraud and you are NEVER out of any money or inconvenienced, if someone steals your information, you contact your credit card company, they take care of the rest and send you out a new card. Im mean, like, ummm, it cant be more simple and shoppers pay for this service for me. *L*

Blows my mind that people use debit cards ect. I just dont get it.

as an added bonus, I get up to 5% off EVERYTHING I buy including dinners, never less then 2%, It gives me back hundreds upon hundreds of dollars a year in cash back to me. :eek:)

Last edited:
The safest method of any form of payment is a credit card.
You are never responsible for fraud and you are NEVER out of any money or inconvenienced, if someone steals your information, you contact your credit card company, they take care of the rest and send you out a new card. Im mean, like, ummm, it cant be more simple and shoppers pay for this service for me. *L*

Blows my mind that people use debit cards ect. I just dont get it.

as an added bonus, I get up to 5% off EVERYTHING I buy including dinners, never less then 2%, It gives me back hundreds upon hundreds of dollars a year in cash back to me. :eek:)

Not everyone has self control AND enough emergency funds, so once in a while the banks make some profit on an average individual, and therefore on average the banks will make money.

Last edited:
"Android and Samsung Pay also use tokenization. I wish gas stations would get on board with it and using it st the pump."

I totally agree. I think the resistance from the stations is that it would take away from their store sales. Some stations do provide Apple Pay or the alternates but only in the store. For those of us who just want to get our fuel and go this is the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back