More news on self checkouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went into the local Shoppers Drug Mart in Calgary and it turns out they removed all but one cash register and installed a dozen self checkout units. I thought it was a bit strange but now the story has hit the Canadian Press. Looks like a revolt brewing.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I was Home Depot the other day all the check outs were not manned only the self check out was open. My cart stayed right there and I went to Fred Meyer.

You geezers would hate our local grocery store. They have hand scanners you take with you and scan your stuff as you put it in your reusable bags. Love them. You see the price of every item as you scan and you handle your items 2 times not 3. People will stand 4 deep to go to a cashier instead of self check out or use the hand scanners. Crazy.

That and sort it by inside or outside stuff … pack cold items together … and I don't bag most larger things …

Originally Posted by AZjeff
You geezers would hate our local grocery store. They have hand scanners you take with you and scan your stuff as you put it in your reusable bags. Love them. You see the price of every item as you scan and you handle your items 2 times not 3. People will stand 4 deep to go to a cashier instead of self check out or use the hand scanners. Crazy.

If it was my local Walmart, they would miss half the scans, then steal the scanner.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I actually prefer the self checkouts as well (unless I am buying cigarettes or alcohol) as I can usually get it done quicker. At the grocery if it is a big shopping trip I will wait for a cashier as $100+ worth of groceries I will be the slower option because the self checkouts are not optimized for that.

I love the new Home Depot ones - the ones they just installed in my local HD are setup so they can be operated by either customer or cashier. Now having a hand held scanner for everything is way better than the scanner then plop in the weight scale bagging area. Guess HD has put a customer trust factor out there with the new system.

At our local Walmart, most cashiers are slow so lines are long. The really fast ones left after about a year but I figured they weren't local and probably military spouse that PCSd. I normally go to the self checkout at Walmart and HD. I wish they had them at Costco.

MGM properties in Las Vegas are soon going to be installing "robot" bartenders to replace the ones who work behind the scenes to provide drink service to cocktail waitresses and such.

The bartenders at the actual bars won't yet be replaced, though.

I'm pretty split on the idea of automation. I couldn't tell someone they were fired because we found a cheaper robot to do their job, but robots will be SUPER consistent with creating goods and don't need tips. I can't stand the idea of tipping.

Send it this way! They got rid of the self checkouts at Safeway and put in registers. Now I have to wait in line for forever.

So I try to go to Frys now where there's self checkout.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I love the self checkouts. Don't need or want the human interaction at the store, I just want to get in and out.

This. Gimme soda at the gas pump and I'll never come in. As far as the Wally Worlds and their ilk, I'll take lower costs over full employment.

Originally Posted by tcp71
I will use the self checkout whenever possible. I can get it done faster that way.

+1

I'm just not a fan of the self-checkout. A couple weeks ago at the nearby Walmart, I had the audacity to scan a bottle of Sta-bil fuel preservative. Next thing I know, the transaction locks up and it won't let me finish the check out. I have to push a button to summon a supervisor. And wait 5+ minutes for the attendant to finish explaining scanning to someone else, and then feel like slothing over to my register. Then she explains, "people huff that stuff." Really??? So there I am, a retired USMC Colonel, in shape, with the haircut, who happens to hold a doctorate degree, being required to justify my decision to purchase Sta-bil, to a clerk who comes off like she dropped out of the 7-th grade! Like she decides whether I'm going to go "huff" Sta-bil or not!!! I know she didn't even know what the Sta-bil was since I had to explain it to her!!! In retrospect, calmed down, I'm glad I exhibited the temperance NOT to counter-quiz her on her obvious food addiction. . .
smirk2.gif

Now, for sure, this is only partly connected to the self-checkout, but it is relevant since the system left me standing there until the over-tasked attendant could get around to "approving" my purchase. Why, thank you, young lady. . . Any time saved was squandered, and then some.
mad.gif
Can you tell I'm still irritated???

Originally Posted by JLTD
Self checkouts = less job security for the store employees. I prefer to help keep them employed.

My local stores can't find enough employees who want to be cashiers. Everyone wants to stock shelves, and as a former cashier some "customers" can be a real PITA. "That's not the right price!" "I'm sorry but someone probably put it back down in the wrong spot, because I have the ad here and it shows that price that came up." "I DONT WANT IT ANYMORE WHATEVER HAPPENED TO CUSTOMER SERVICE I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER!!!" "That door right there, knock because it's locked."

Originally Posted by AZjeff

I forgot my local store started doing this in the last week, except you use your phone and scan everything. When you're done it'll spit out a barcode/QR code that you scan at the self checkout, and pay normally. I can't wait to try it!

Originally Posted by ekpolk
I'm just not a fan of the self-checkout. A couple weeks ago at the nearby Walmart, I had the audacity to scan a bottle of Sta-bil fuel preservative. Next thing I know, the transaction locks up and it won't let me finish the check out. I have to push a button to summon a supervisor. And wait 5+ minutes for the attendant to finish explaining scanning to someone else, and then feel like slothing over to my register. Then she explains, "people huff that stuff." Really??? So there I am, a retired USMC Colonel, in shape, with the haircut, who happens to hold a doctorate degree, being required to justify my decision to purchase Sta-bil, to a clerk who comes off like she dropped out of the 7-th grade! Like she decides whether I'm going to go "huff" Sta-bil or not!!! I know she didn't even know what the Sta-bil was since I had to explain it to her!!! In retrospect, calmed down, I'm glad I exhibited the temperance NOT to counter-quiz her on her obvious food addiction. . .
smirk2.gif

Now, for sure, this is only partly connected to the self-checkout, but it is relevant since the system left me standing there until the over-tasked attendant could get around to "approving" my purchase. Why, thank you, young lady. . . Any time saved was squandered, and then some.
mad.gif

I try to avoid Walmart, but went in one recently to get some allergy tablets. The few checkouts that had cashiers were backed up. So as much as the self-checkouts irritate me, (If I'm doing the cashiers job, I feel the store should give me a discount equivalent to what it would cost them to have a cashier perform the transaction) I only had ONE item.

Of course as soon as I scanned it, it locked up and summoned the attendant. Eventuuuuaaaally she came over and said I needed to be 18 to purchase the item. I asked her, how old do you think I am? Now I'm not that old, and people seem to think I look younger than I am. But nobody with any common sense is going to confuse me for an 18 year old. She asks me what year was I born, so I tell her, and she can't do the math in her head (good thing she handles money transactions for a living) So I told her my age, and she finally put in the approval code...

I was reminded why I avoid Walmart.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Send it this way! They got rid of the self checkouts at Safeway and put in registers. Now I have to wait in line for forever.

So I try to go to Frys now where there's self checkout.

Ugh, they just got rid of the four express checkouts at the 32nd St and Camelback Safeway and put self checkouts in. Hate it. Now I just head over to Trader Joe's at the Town and Country.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
smirk2.gif

mad.gif

In my experience you get flagged trying to buy spray paint, allergy meds, and fuel system cleaner. While I understand a few of these items also agree why on earth are things like sta-bil and injection cleaner on this list. The only reason to go there anymore is for oil.

There will be a time when you have to have a smart phone to do transactions, there will be no money, and control will be complete

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back