self checkout, opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Saabist
Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
[
As long as I'm a paying customer, and not damaging the equipment, I see no reason to be confronted with my unshaven, sweaty image that early in the morning.

A less obvious way to accomplish this, at least for those lanes using an iPad type device, might be to stand to the side and surreptitiously place a small piece of black tape over the lens.

Or just not look at the screen. Same as avoiding eye contact.

Or shave and shower before you go shopping.

If you don't want to be reminded that you look like a bum, don't look like a bum.

I was exaggerating; I do shower, shave if I need to, and dress like a grownup. Believe me, compared to most of the creatures waddling around WM, I look like Fred Astaire ready to dance with Ginger Rogers. It's just that I object to the insistent "We're WATCHING YOU!" attitude. WM's "Neighborhood Markets" don't have the image on the screen thing yet, and I can go there. But it's probably only a matter of time before they too are not only filming you, but making sure you know they are doing it because they can, and not enough people are objecting.

Aren't some of you at least bothered by this invasion of our privacy?

I'd still object to this even if WM gave me a discount on the price of some items for using the self-checkout. But they don't -- and so they are saving money on labor, while I pay full price, and have to deal with an invasive reminder that The Central Committee is watching me at all times.

I'd still object to this even if WM gave me a discount on the price of some items for using the self-checkout. But they don't -- and so they are saving money on labor, while I pay full price, and have to deal with an invasive reminder that The Central Committee is watching me at all times.

I'm big on privacy, but the cameras don't bother me because what the cameras capture is no different than what other people in public see me. It's also no different than the cameras up at he doors or at the manned cash registers. If they want to see me pick my nose and pick my wedgie out, they can lol.

Oh here's the problem. You expect privacy at a public place in a business. There should be no expectation of privacy when you're out in public especially in a store where they show you the video footage.

Your expectations and reality and the law aren't in agreement.

The proper response to your objection is to not patronize the business.

Oh here's the problem. You expect privacy at a public place in a business. There should be no expectation of privacy when you're out in public especially in a store where they show you the video footage.

Your expectations and reality and the law aren't in agreement.

The proper response to your objection is to not patronize the business.

True, the law does not respect our privacy any more. My expectations are reasonable -- for a high-trust society. Unfortunately America foolishly gave that up decades ago.

No, what I expect (not nowadays) is not privacy in a public place. What I hate is having their disregard for me as a customer shoved in my face while I pay for them to do it.

There are a couple of other grocery choices here. One, a local chain, is quite a bit more expensive for a lot of items. The other, Save-a-Lot, lacks some items I buy frequently, and the employees now have the attitude, "What you doin' in here?" So WM is unfortunately my best choice. I'll avoid the self-checkouts as much as I can, and I advise others to do the same.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Saabist
[
As long as I'm a paying customer, and not damaging the equipment, I see no reason to be confronted with my unshaven, sweaty image that early in the morning.

A less obvious way to accomplish this, at least for those lanes using an iPad type device, might be to stand to the side and surreptitiously place a small piece of black tape over the lens.

Or just not look at the screen. Same as avoiding eye contact.

Or shave and shower before you go shopping.

If you don't want to be reminded that you look like a bum, don't look like a bum.

Another option is just not to care one bit what others think of you when you're not currently under purview of your employer. Really, what does it matter? What is some random to you?

This. I've gone in with my hair sticking straight up, black tapout sweatpants, steel toe boots, and some graphic T-Shirt looking like I just rolled out of bed
lol.gif

There are cameras everywhere. You are being monitored and taped while shopping, pumping gas, paying a toll and just about everything else you do in public. A lot of people have monitoring devices in their homes now. Will that stop you from visiting?

True, the law does not respect our privacy any more. My expectations are reasonable -- for a high-trust society. Unfortunately America foolishly gave that up decades ago.

No, what I expect (not nowadays) is not privacy in a public place. What I hate is having their disregard for me as a customer shoved in my face while I pay for them to do it.

There are a couple of other grocery choices here. One, a local chain, is quite a bit more expensive for a lot of items. The other, Save-a-Lot, lacks some items I buy frequently, and the employees now have the attitude, "What you doin' in here?" So WM is unfortunately my best choice. I'll avoid the self-checkouts as much as I can, and I advise others to do the same.

The law never said you ever had privacy. It's not like you had something and they took it away. You're objecting to something that never existed.

Once again, it's the dumb people that ruins it for everyone else. Too many stupid people stealing stuff and not realizing their on camera. They don't want to waste time catching you stealing, they'd rather you just not steal in the first place so the monitor there is for the stupid people who can't figure it out. You can just ignore it.

I don't like BJs or Costco which checks the receipts when you walk out, but I still let them do it, I just kinda keep the cart rolling so they don't spend too much time pretending to check it. I've gone there before with a friend with 2 receipts, we normally just show them one until they ask for the 2nd one. Most of the time they don't ask for the 2nd one so they're not really checking, just pretending. But they're just there to discourage the thieves.

They project the facial image in front of the customer's face to help them not steal. Im sure some consulting firm made a lot of money advising this trick to reduce losses.

Originally Posted by PimTac
There are cameras everywhere. You are being monitored and taped while shopping, pumping gas, paying a toll and just about everything else you do in public. A lot of people have monitoring devices in their homes now. Will that stop you from visiting?

Once again, it's having the knowledge of it shoved in my face while I'm paying them money that I object to.

The law never said you ever had privacy. It's not like you had something and they took it away. You're objecting to something that never existed.

Once again, it's the dumb people that ruins it for everyone else. Too many stupid people stealing stuff and not realizing their on camera. They don't want to waste time catching you stealing, they'd rather you just not steal in the first place so the monitor there is for the stupid people who can't figure it out. You can just ignore it. . . .

Of course we had privacy under the law. The basic concept of "A man's house is his castle" exemplified this. American society operated that way for generations. It was necessary for the Supreme Court to rule that we did not have the expectation of privacy in a public place -- which implies that we did have it, or at least operated as if we did; and the court denied it. Which has led, slipping and sliding, to the current idea that we have no right to privacy at all. If you champion the idea of personal privacy, people look at you and say, "What you got to hide?"

You're right. It's the stupid people who ruin it for those with normal and higher IQs. When our society began to value the opinions of fools over those of education and common sense, we started on our slide to the bottom.

Once again, it's the dumb people that ruins it for everyone else. Too many stupid people stealing stuff and not realizing their on camera. They don't want to waste time catching you stealing, they'd rather you just not steal in the first place so the monitor there is for the stupid people who can't figure it out. You can just ignore it. . . .

Of course we had privacy under the law. The basic concept of "A man's house is his castle" exemplified this. American society operated that way for generations. It was necessary for the Supreme Court to rule that we did not have the expectation of privacy in a public place -- which implies that we did have it, or at least operated as if we did; and the court denied it. Which has led, slipping and sliding, to the current idea that we have no right to privacy at all. If you champion the idea of personal privacy, people look at you and say, "What you got to hide?"

You're right. It's the stupid people who ruin it for those with normal and higher IQs. When our society began to value the opinions of fools over those of education and common sense, we started on our slide to the bottom.

The Supreme court said we didn't have it so you think it meant we did? I think that meant we didn't have it but thought we had it. Therefore the original statement still stands, you didn't have it but maybe you thought you did.

Stupid people have been around a long while. Same with why the police have always been around for a long while too.

Many of my friends have Alexa or echo and all that in their homes because it makes them feel cool and its neat and edgy. No thanks. None of that for me. I have a 1000w light for my yard that I have a bluetooth interface with via an app, and that's it, lol!

I'm going to channel Donald Rumsfeld and say "You go shopping with the store that you have, not the store you might want or wish to have at a later time."

The Supreme court said we didn't have it so you think it meant we did? I think that meant we didn't have it but thought we had it. Therefore the original statement still stands, you didn't have it but maybe you thought you did.

Stupid people have been around a long while. Same with why the police have always been around for a long while too.

^^Wolf is right ^^
Nothing in the constitution about a right to privacy, also nothing in it saying that you do not have it.
So laws can be passed by congress or state levels.

With that said, the Supreme Court has ruled many times respecting peoples general rights to privacy. There is much information on the internet.
But I have to say, if you are going out in public off of your own property, ummm... I dont know how anyone can think you have a right to privacy in public or anyone else's property within the laws of that area..
I can say, if Americans understood how little public privacy they had, that might change some things. I doubt many people know that the new cameras in the intersections of traffic lights or anyplace else can see you behind the steering wheel and identify your face in many instances. Also your local stores, know your face and id when you walk into them, any place you go is trackable. The public could care less, just look at all you android users allowing google to know every place you go, as well as ANYONE how gains access to your gmail account can look at every place you traveled with your phone by time and date, right down to the second from the very first day you activated it. (you can turn off this stuff, but the vast majority just do not care.

Here is a very short read -click

"The United States Constitution does not contain any explicit right to privacy. However, The Bill of Rights, expresses the concerns of James Madison along with other framers of the Constitution for protecting certain aspects of privacy.
For example, the first amendment allows the privacy of beliefs, the third amendment protects privacy of the home against any demands to be used to house soldiers, the fourth amendment protects the privacy of a person and possessions from unreasonable searches, and the 5th Amendment gives privacy of personal information through preventing self-incrimination.
Furthermore, the 9th Amendment ...."

Last edited:
There is privacy, but when you step out of your home and into another business, it is their privacy and security that matters. They have a sign that said monitoring and recording? You are agreeing to it if you don't turn back and leave by then. If they didn't have this sign and put a security camera in the locker room, then yes you can sue them, but not at the checkout to prevent thieves or potential violent customers (aka armed robberies).

If they put your video on youtube, you can sue them, but not if it is just blind recording for their own securities.

You can always send someone else from your family to shop for you, or if you are a celebrity ask your assistant to do all those shopping for you, that's the privacy. BTW, this has nothing to do with self checkout, they have that at the tool department at home depot too, with a big alarm and monitor telling you that you are under recording, and you should not think about stealing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PandaBear
There is privacy, but when you step out of your home and into another business, it is their privacy and security that matters. They have a sign that said monitoring and recording? You are agreeing to it if you don't turn back and leave by then. If they didn't have this sign and put a security camera in the locker room, then yes you can sue them, but not at the checkout to prevent thieves or potential violent customers (aka armed robberies).

If they put your video on youtube, you can sue them, but not if it is just blind recording for their own securities.

You can always send someone else from your family to shop for you, or if you are a celebrity ask your assistant to do all those shopping for you, that's the privacy. BTW, this has nothing to do with self checkout, they have that at the tool department at home depot too, with a big alarm and monitor telling you that you are under recording, and you should not think about stealing.

Come to think of it, there are several WalMarts near me that have cameras in the aisle with the shaving supplies and a monitor showing you that they're recording, and the Meijer near Mom's not only has a camera/monitor in the aisle with the more expensive liquor, there's also an obnoxious alarm to let you know you're being recorded when you get in camera range.

Long story short, don't expect privacy once you leave your house.

Heck, speaking of privacy, there was some 3rd party guys working for Apple that could use an iPhone to listen to "coaching" conversations in couples bedrooms.

Hopefully nobody has a smart speaker or robotic vacuum either.

We have way more issues than getting recorded at the grocery store.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Heck, speaking of privacy, there was some 3rd party guys working for Apple that could use an iPhone to listen to "coaching" conversations in couples bedrooms.

Hopefully nobody has a smart speaker or robotic vacuum either.

We have way more issues than getting recorded at the grocery store.

Except for this forum, the vast majority of people could care less about being recorded or surveilled from the likes of google with its google android, google chrome, google gmail, google nest, any and all wifi devices in their homes etc, as long as google/companies keep giving them "free stuff" in return for them giving up their privacy the public will care less.
If they did care, the majority would buy their own stuff and use other services that do not surveil them. Human nature will never change, until one day when they see the harm in it, they, like rats, will go for the easiest free stuff instead of working a bit more hard for the stuff with no strings attached.
Its no different then anything around the world, giving "free stuff" to remain popular or free stuff to stay at the top of a market place, I mean, who do you think really pays?

Like hello! :eek:) You think "free stuff" just comes out of thin air and out of this thin air companies like google end up with an endless, massive profit stream?
*L* Hello again!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CARJ
I like it. I can get in and out quickly.

I don't like it at all.

Besides the fact that I'm old and slow as molasses, I'm always purchasing prohibited items (such as spray paint or carb cleaner) that requires I wait for customer support.

Likely mentioned above depends on cashier working.

Yesterday I waited one person at Whole Foods skipping open self checkout because the glowing beautiful early 20's blond blue eyed cashier was working there. So pleasant because the cashier position was not her end "career" but a college job. That all being said a local grocery chain where they don't have self checkout some of the lifer cashiers are incredibly pleasant and enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back