Salvage auction purchase, 2010 Mercedes ML 350

The bolt on body parts and lights will cover the amount paid, although parting out a car is a big hassle. Still have left over major parts from cars I sent to the crusher years ago.
I know what you mean. I still stumble across parts in my back yard shop from cars and trucks we did that have been gone a long long time.

Rh, a supplemental comment. I have never ever proven you wrong. You brought up issues/concerns that were very valid and rational. Sometimes it is beneficial to be more lucky than good.

I’m always pulling for you that these projects work out. Maybe I should’ve said “you’ve dispelled my preconceived notions about salvage titled MBs at auction.” Having worked in insurance, I know there’s some gems that find their way to the salvage yard/Copart/IAA that are totally repairable. There are also some horror stories when buying solely off of photos, but nevertheless I love these threads!

How can you tell?
They're black, round, and appear to be made of rubber. Those are traits that nearly every Costco tire has.

But I'd like to worn GON, these are also indicative that a serial killer may have owned this car. In a recent study, nearly 100% of serial killers have admitted that their tires too had these 3 traits.

I know what you mean. I still stumble across parts in my back yard shop from cars and trucks we did that have been gone a long long time.
So do I. I just came across a fully working temperature gauge for a 1958 MB 190SL that I packed away in my garage 35+ years ago. It's now worth over $300 according to E-bay. The clock is selling for over $400 for non-working ones but mine still works and looks like new.

:)

I bet that interior will clean up nicely assuming all that clutter isn't hiding a bunch of issues. I miss the days when interiors weren't almost always 100% black!

Reactions: GON
I bet that interior will clean up nicely assuming all that clutter isn't hiding a bunch of issues. I miss the days when interiors weren't almost always 100% black!
I think you are correct. I previewed the interior twice, and was very surprised at the lack of wear and tear, and lack of stains in the carpet.

Now if I can get her running???

Picked up the 350 today. Could not get any power to anything, yet did see a drop in voltage with the jump pack.

More to follow.
PXL_20230530_190353071.jpg
PXL_20230530_193807011.jpg

Can't get any sign of volatage. See
PXL_20230530_215842358.jpg
PXL_20230530_215849169.jpg
PXL_20230530_215911565.jpg
PXL_20230530_220039945.jpg
Doing a weird battery charge, as I can't get to the battery without removing the front passenger seat. Using a s500 as a charging vehicle.

Cleaned out the interior and found what I believe is three crack pipes. Also found a lot of tools. First thought was tools were for the thieves. Looking deeper, I think the tools were the last owner.

Some personal identifiable information, I think I can track the owner down and return his tools. Also found some disgusting stuff like heavily stained female underwear.

Going to study the fuse charts next. Issue is I have a rented trailer, so I need to get this ml 350 off the trailer tonight.

Buying a car that was owned by a crackhead-this is going to be better than the Navigator thread!

Probably not owned by a crackhead. Stolen , joyride, do drugs, pass out, leave the car and steal another one. Around here it’s likely to be middle school or high school juveniles.

I hope this works out for you. Looks to be in pretty good shape other than the electrical issue.

I’m wondering if those tools do belong to the previous owner? A pickaxe I is not your usual tool to haul around. ⛏️

Reactions: GON
I hope this works out for you. Looks to be in pretty good shape other than the electrical issue.

I’m wondering if those tools do belong to the previous owner? A pickaxe I is not your usual tool to haul around. ⛏️
Neither is a wood splitting maul (the tool with the red handle.). And I'm not sure what the black tool is. That's an odd collection of tools and none of which I would expect an owner of a MB to be carrying around. It would be interesting to see if GON can locate the previous owner and find out what the back story on the car is.

"Also found some disgusting stuff like heavily stained female underwear."

Sounds like it might a good item to prank somebody with! You could leave them in the back of your buddy's car where his wife will find them.

Neither is a wood splitting maul (the tool with the red handle.). And I'm not sure what the black tool is. That's an odd collection of tools and none of which I would expect an owner of a MB to be carrying around. It would be interesting to see if GON can locate the previous owner and find out what the back story on the car is.

"Also found some disgusting stuff like heavily stained female underwear."

Sounds like it might a good item to prank somebody with! You could leave them in the back of your buddy's car where his wife will find them.
I am wondering if your wife would let you do that-I can tell you mine wouldn't. Considering what was found in the car......"honey I'm going to try to locate the owner of this SUV where I found crake pipes, apparently tools for breaking an entering, and dirty underwear...I will be back by dinner time". Yea-Sure...she said - see you then!

Last edited:
Located at least one issue. The 100 AMP fuse to the rear SAM was blown. The rear SAM controls almost everything in this car outside of the engine bay.

It was quite a job to get to the fuse. The battery has to be pulled which is located under the passenger front seat. To get at the battery, the passenger front seat must be all the way forward, which it was not. And nothing working, so I tried to pull the front seat, but did not have success- this is a real big design flaw, as one can't get to the battery and pre-fuse compartment if the front passenger seat is not functioning.

I checked the incoming voltage at the rear SAM, and it was zero. I placed 12v on the rear SAM, and was able to move the seat. forward. Nothing else worked, but what I needed to work did. I moved the seat forward and pulled the battery. This is the hardest battery I can recall trying to remove. I saw no signs of anyone trying to get under the passenger seat prior to me.

Measured resistance across the power distribution fuses, and the rear SAM fuse was blown which is what Mercedes call a "fuse strip". Hopefully Mercedes has these fuses in stock.

Of note, the car is super clean. No rigging of any nature, everything OEM everywhere. The CARXFAX showed this car had extensive and continual preventative maintenance at the MB dealership. One example, two transmission fluid exchanges were performed under 100k miles.

Either this car has something really wrong, and it is a insurance fraud case, or someone stole a really nice car. Hope to have better understanding tomorrow after the fuse is replaced.

I can't get a trailer to where I live, so I have to work on the car about seven miles away from home until I can drive it home. Very inefficient not having tools close by.

PXL_20230531_022127625.jpg
PXL_20230531_022136007.jpg
PXL_20230531_035944566.jpg
PXL_20230531_040602043.jpg
PXL_20230531_041359694.jpg

I look at a lot of carfax weekly, forgot the particulars on this MB so went and took a second look.

Three fender benders, all appear minor

Car spent the first half of its life in San Francisco, second half in Seattle

Sold as a CPO (first time). Sold as CPO after the first two accidents. Three total owners, last owner owned under 18 months before report as stolen.

Car had no less than two MB dealer performed transmission flushes.........

Are the transmission flushes a red flag ?

Back