Recommended Oil For 2019 Mazda CX-5 2.5L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ricktexas
Thanks so much for all the feedback!! The OEM filter for sure, with a new washer.

If I had turbo version of that 2.5 engine, I would run ACEA A3/B3 B4 or ACEA C3 oils in it such as Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30, etc.
These ILSAC GF-5 oils are too vanilla for my taste when it comes to turbo applications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Eddie
I would not use an oil viscosity not in the approved list for this engine, especially during the warranty period.. Ed

Originally Posted by 147_Grain
OW-40 in the Texas heat.

5W-30 synthetic in the winter.

Texas heat is not the worst heat, yet cars survive in much worse conditions than Texas "heat."
This engine is recommended for thinner 5W30 oils, so some good middle ground between ILSAC GF-5 5W30 and oils such as Castrol 0W40 would be Castrold Edge 5W30 C3, Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30, Mobil1 5W30 ESP.

Wow! I really appreciate all the opinions. What a quagmire! You'd think that Mazda would have been a little less "general" in stating their oil spec for this engine.

Not sure if this is reviving an old thread, but felt it was relevant sooo...

I use Pennzoil Ultra Plat on my 2009 Mazda3, and recently got a CX-5 Signature and after reading the responses here, figure it should be good as it pretty much its on most of the requirements for a good oil for turbo (5w-30 as recommended in the manual, Full synthetic, GF-5, dexos even the Honda HTO-6 spec, which judging from a previous comment might not matter as much anymore). Curious about two of the specs they listed in their product page though (https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-ultra-platinum.html).

In it, the API spec says it meets SN, SM, SL and SJ. Does this include the SN+ spec as well? Also for the GM dexos1 spec, it does not indicate whether it is gen2 or not. I assume a modern full synthetic which is top of the line for a brand would meet top of the line spec requirements as well, but just wanted to make sure.

The other choice would be the Mobil1 full synthetic, which is clear in meeting all of the above mentioned spec and is also easily available at Costco (and would be one of the only reasons for going with Mobil1). For the most part I've been going with the Pennzoil Ultra Plat when they have rebates which are good up to a limit of like 4 units of 5qt bottles or something like that.

Consider Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 with its HTHS of 3.2 and its recently updated, excellent add pack.
Also consider Shell Rotella Gas-Truck, QSUD, and Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 oils for the same reasons.
Being a turbo, I would NOT run any oil in that engine for more than 4 to 5K miles -- ever.
I like Mazda cars. Purchased a new sporty Protege years ago as a young family man and loved it.

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Consider Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 with its HTHS of 3.2 and its recently updated, excellent add pack.
Also consider Shell Rotella Gas-Truck, QSUD, and Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 oils for the same reasons.
Being a turbo, I would NOT run any oil in that engine for more than 4 to 5K miles -- ever.
I like Mazda cars. Purchased a new sporty Protege years ago as a young family man and loved it.

More considerations.....
Pennzoil Platinum
All Mobil-1s
Castrol Edge

I ran Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in my 2.3l MAZDA turbo using 6,000 mile oil changes. I got excellent UOAs using that combination. Walmart has the PP in 5w30 ~ $25 +/-. I used OEM or Fram Ultra oil filters. Ed

Skyactive engine owner here. So far, they're not that picky on oil, maybe the turbo part changes that. I've used M1 AFE, Idemitsu (low moly forumula), Walmart Supertech, PP, and all were perfectly fine without issue. Just stick with 5w30 and you'll be fine. If you haven't purchased anything yet, Rotella Gas truck rebate is still going on. It's $10 rebate per 5qt jug and you can max out at 4 jugs. (don't worry about the "truck" part, it's marketing)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-Gas-Truck-Full-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-5W-30-5-Quart/888806064

Originally Posted by manfurismojive
Not sure if this is reviving an old thread, but felt it was relevant sooo...

I use Pennzoil Ultra Plat on my 2009 Mazda3, and recently got a CX-5 Signature and after reading the responses here, figure it should be good as it pretty much its on most of the requirements for a good oil for turbo (5w-30 as recommended in the manual, Full synthetic, GF-5, dexos even the Honda HTO-6 spec, which judging from a previous comment might not matter as much anymore). Curious about two of the specs they listed in their product page though (https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-ultra-platinum.html).

In it, the API spec says it meets SN, SM, SL and SJ. Does this include the SN+ spec as well? Also for the GM dexos1 spec, it does not indicate whether it is gen2 or not. I assume a modern full synthetic which is top of the line for a brand would meet top of the line spec requirements as well, but just wanted to make sure.

The other choice would be the Mobil1 full synthetic, which is clear in meeting all of the above mentioned spec and is also easily available at Costco (and would be one of the only reasons for going with Mobil1). For the most part I've been going with the Pennzoil Ultra Plat when they have rebates which are good up to a limit of like 4 units of 5qt bottles or something like that.

Can't go wrong with the Ultra. Any of the major brands that meet the specs for your Mazda will run fine. Sounds like M1 will be easier for you to get. Another fine choice.

I have decided upon Castrol Edge 5W-30 with a Mazda factory oil filter, part # PY8W-14-302 in my 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L Turbo. I make a lot of short trips so am doing 5000 mile OCI's.

Castrol advertises that oil as being formulated for GDI turbo engines and it is rated SN Plus and is DEXOS Gen 2 approved. I can do a DIY oil & filter and crush washer change for around $35 which seems very reasonable for maintenance costs using a full synthetic oil.

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
I have decided upon Castrol Edge 5W-30 with a Mazda factory oil filter, part # PY8W-14-302 in my 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L Turbo. I make a lot of short trips so am doing 5000 mile OCI's.

Castrol advertises that oil as being formulated for GDI turbo engines and it is rated SN Plus and is DEXOS Gen 2 approved. I can do a DIY oil & filter and crush washer change for around $35 which seems very reasonable for maintenance costs using a full synthetic oil.

Short trips made my iron spike just a tad in my 2013. Not sure how the Mazda filters compare to the Wix XP, Fram Ultra or Mobile 1's but that might be the difference in keeping the iron down a little.

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye

Works for me as your choices are a safe, conservative bet.

During the 3rd OCI with this same oil and filter combo, pull some oil for an analysis. Use as a baseline going forward.

Nice vehicle.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Ricktexas
I'm oil illiterate and the myriad of oils out there just exacerbates things.

The owner's manual for my CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve (2.5L Turbo) recommends 5W30.

Could you please suggest a very good, readily available full synthetic oil for this application? The vehicle will likely only be driven about 5,000-6,000 miles/year.

My thinking: Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Rationale: SN Plus and Honda HTO-06. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-extended-performance#0W-20

Thanks

Any SN+ rated 5w30 will be fine, just buy whatever's on sale and don't worry about it.

With these cars, I'd be more worried about the filter, Skyactiv engines spec a different filter than the one from previous Mazdas (although that filter will fit) and AFAIK only the Wix 57002 (Napa Gold 7002 is the same thing) and Mazda OEM are confirmed to meet the special Skyactiv spec.

I've used the Mobil 1 M108A filter on my 2.5 naturally aspirated SkyActiv but the OEM filters are much cheaper. I am guessing the turbo engines use the same filter.

I actually took my car into the dealership for its very first oil change today and asked about the oil they put in. I was told they're putting 5w-30 conventional in it. I asked whether they had synthetic in 5w-30 and apparently they didn't. I think afterwards I may just do the oil changes myself as I've been doing so on my 3...

As far as Pennzoil Plat vs Ultra Plat, is there any major difference between them, or are the differences too minor to justify any price difference unless it's only a couple bucks?

I actually took my car into the dealership for its very first oil change today and asked about the oil they put in. I was told they're putting 5w-30 conventional in it. I asked whether they had synthetic in 5w-30 and apparently they didn't. I think afterwards I may just do the oil changes myself as I've been doing so on my 3...

As far as Pennzoil Plat vs Ultra Plat, is there any major difference between them, or are the differences too minor to justify any price difference unless it's only a couple bucks?

The difference is slight and Ultra is hard to find, regular Platinum is perfectly fine.

No need to overthink this, we're at the point where any oil with the proper ratings and viscosity will work just fine. Especially with the SN+ certification, there's not a whole awful lot of difference anymore.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I've used the Mobil 1 M108A filter on my 2.5 naturally aspirated SkyActiv but the OEM filters are much cheaper. I am guessing the turbo engines use the same filter.

Does the 108A have a ADBV? I know they're not necessary in Skyactiv engines, so Mazda and Wix go without them to increase the size of the filter media.

That said, I dont think the non-Skyactiv specced filters are going to grenade anyone's engine, but I'm a better safe than sorry type of guy, especially when the Wix/NAPA filter is not expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by littlehulkster

The difference is slight and Ultra is hard to find, regular Platinum is perfectly fine.

No need to overthink this, we're at the point where any oil with the proper ratings and viscosity will work just fine. Especially with the SN+ certification, there's not a whole awful lot of difference anymore.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Does the 108A have a ADBV? I know they're not necessary in Skyactiv engines, so Mazda and Wix go without them to increase the size of the filter media.

That said, I dont think the non-Skyactiv specced filters are going to grenade anyone's engine, but I'm a better safe than sorry type of guy, especially when the Wix/NAPA filter is not expensive.

I believe they do. I only ran them for a couple of intervals. I'm back to the Thailand sourced OEM Roki filter now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back