Recommend me an oil for a car that's driven 1k a week.

Lots of options for that. The mileage isn’t the issue. Driving it too hard could be.

I’d start with a 10w-30 HM syn oil, and extend out the OCI via UOA. I’d take a sample at 7500 miles, change the first time at 10, and extend from there.

Watching level may be the greater issue...

I'd go with 5W30 Full Synthetic Super Tech for the win. Use a filter of your choice, but I use OEM filters and go 7,500 miles and take an oil sample. If it comes back good go 10,000 miles. Looking online the recommended OCI per your car is 7,500 miles...

Just my $0.02

I would also run 5w30 synthetic but not HM unless your car has leaky seals or gaskets. No need for HM oil just because of the number on the odometer, it's designed to treat symptoms of high mileage -- if you have no symptoms then you don't need HM oil. Also keep in mind your engine is GDI which are notorious for producing soot and timing set wear, so keep the oil service intervals down to a reasonable number. I suggest 5-6k.

Timing Chains on Hyundai's and KIA's recommended change every 100k, per manufacture.
You're over thinking OCI and OIL requirements..Just run 5w-30 ST in the car ....

FYI, I've lived in MA my entire life. 40 yrs ago, I learned the hard way that 20w50 dino in a crank case will get too thick to start below 10F. 10w40 is good to -15 F at least. Just sayin' :cool:

FYI, I've lived in MA my entire life. 40 yrs ago, I learned the hard way that 20w50 dino in a crank case will get too thick to start below 10F. 10w40 is good to -15 F at least. Just sayin' :cool:
10w40 is what's in it now. Manual states 10w is fine above 0°F, not sure my starter or battery would be too happy at -15F or even below freezing with a 10w. Definitely takes a couple extra seconds to crank even with a 0w oil when it's real cold.

Longtime lurker here!

I have a 2016 Hyundai Accent with the 1.6 Gamma GDI engine with 125,000 miles currently on the clock. Manual says I can put anything from 5w20-10w30 in it. Euro/Oz manual says anything from 5w30 to 20w50 in the same engine so I imagine it wouldn't be picky.

Wear protection and longevity trump fuel economy. It's usually cold started once daily and runs for 8-12hrs non stop about 50/50 city highway miles and it's driven hard, regularly sees redline.

What say you?

Ford 5.4 (specification 5w-20) run on the above oil:

Back