Recommend me an oil for a car that's driven 1k a week.

Longtime lurker here!

I have a 2016 Hyundai Accent with the 1.6 Gamma GDI engine with 125,000 miles currently on the clock. Manual says I can put anything from 5w20-10w30 in it. Euro/Oz manual says anything from 5w30 to 20w50 in the same engine so I imagine it wouldn't be picky.

Wear protection and longevity trump fuel economy. It's usually cold started once daily and runs for 8-12hrs non stop about 50/50 city highway miles and it's driven hard, regularly sees redline.

What say you?

I think you are ok with any name brand 5w-20. How often do you change your oil?

I would probably pick a conventional oil and change it every 5k (which would be every 5 weeks for you). I've read of others with Hyundai engines and having issues, so I wouldnt want to push it. Sounds like you need this car to be on the road and dependable.

Any indications on your cold start temps?
Usually the coldest it gets here is low 20s. FWIW the OM says 10w30 is good down to 0f
I think you are ok with any name brand 5w-20. How often do you change your oil?
Every 5-6k, though I wouldn't mind going longer if the oil was up to the task. Car burns no oil in that timeframe and obviously fuel dilution isn't an issue with extended run time at operating temp. Oil never smells like fuel, just used oil.

Reactions: JC1
Then go for a full synthetic and run it for 10k. Are you changing oil yourself?

Give Kirkland oils a try from Costco. Much cheaper when it's on sale, 10 quarts for $22.

I would put a fumoto drain valve with the 3/8 connector for 3/8 id hose and use fram ultra filters on it. Then change the filter only every second OC. The fumoto does drain slow but it helps if the oil is warm and you open the fill to allow air in. Even though it is slow it will be worth it in the savings of clean up time. You can drain the hose right into a container.

Reactions: JC1
TRC --TEXAS REFINERY - 10w30 Pro Spec with MOLY-- run it 12,000 No Problem if not more.

This oil had a base number of 15 with 1400ppm of zinc....how many have that ?

Take advantage of their Free Wear analysis kits to ensure your protection and to back up the quality of the Oil.

If you are serious get a hold of STEVEISTHEOILGUY .COM ALSO A VIEDO ON YOUTUBE for STEVE IS THE OIL GUY

any euro 0w40 with oem approvals for 10k intervals would do you well.
Was actually considering that. It's lived most of its life on 5w20 pennzoil blend from firestone, this engine has always been noisy, just how it is. Last change I put ST full synthetic 5w30 in it, sounds much less rackety, especially on high RPM pulls, got me wondering if a 40w would suit it well.

10w-30 is the best choice. The spread between the "10" and the "30" is the thing to notice, smaller is better.

10K mile intervals on synthetic SuperTech 10w-30 is the way to go.

Last edited:
Back