Recommend a complete overkill oil + filter combo for a Toyota.

Looking to switch to once a year oil changes for my 2022 Tacoma, which is due for an oil change at 15k miles. Max yearly mileage wouldn’t exceed 15k a year, I live on the Gulf Coast, my daily commute is 8 miles of short trips (gym + work).

Current is 5k OCIs with 5w30 Valvoline EP + OEM filter.

I’m thinking about switching to HPL Euro No VII 5w30 + Fram Ultra.

Convince me that I’m overthinking this whole thing and to stop worrying about doing 5k OCIs.

Thanks in advance.

HPL is great oil. My concern would be the mix of short trips and a long oci.

Probably should do uoa on your 5k oil to see where you are.
Jumping from 5k to 15k? Why not give 7k a run and UOA and go from there? 15K With short tripping isn't anything I'd be comfortable with.

The short trips are what concerned me about switching OCI’s. I’ll order up an analyst kit from Black Stone and go from there.

This
supertec.jpg
plus this
filter.jpg

The short trips are what concerned me about switching OCI’s. I’ll order up an analyst kit from Black Stone and go from there.
Also the first run of HPL should be a normal run. Members here find a lot of material in their filters on the first run, even in well maintained engines. I am on my first run in a couple of cars and will be cutting the filters around the 5-6k.

Also the first run of HPL should be a normal run. Members here find a lot of material in their filters on the first run, even in well maintained engines. I am on my first run in a couple of cars and will be cutting the filters around the 5-6k.

Interesting, didn’t know this.

M1 EP is consistently great oil. I don't know that it is somehow a better choice, but the consistent use of M1 and regular OCI's has traditionally resulted in absolute perfection. 355K, 185K and 150K on Ford 5.4L and 3.5L engines known to be troublesome. No issues what so ever, no phaser issues, no cam chain issues, no varnish, no tensioner issues, no roller cam follower issues, etc. Just absolute perfection.

And my Jaguar X-Type, known for destroying rod bearings, and not lasting long, is currently at 225K, spotlessly clean inside, full oil pressure, etc. Running perfectly. Cylinders still look new.

Here in S. FL, I do step up a grade in viscosity. Run 10W-30EP in all my stuff. (until this last set of oil changes where I could not find it)

You can guess what oil I am going to use in my 475HP, high boost, tuned, V6 Jaguar F-Type! M1, 5W-30EP. It requires 0W-20, however, those engines are also known for bearing and cam drive train issues. AFAIK, none make it to 100K intact.

M1 EP is consistently great oil. I don't know that it is somehow a better choice, but the consistent use of M1 and regular OCI's has traditionally resulted in absolute perfection. 355K, 185K and 150K on Ford 5.4L and 3.5L engines known to be troublesome. No issues what so ever, no phaser issues, no cam chain issues, no varnish, no tensioner issues, no roller cam follower issues, etc. Just absolute perfection.

And my Jaguar X-Type, known for destroying rod bearings, and not lasting long, is currently at 225K, spotlessly clean inside, full oil pressure, etc. Running perfectly. Cylinders still look new.

Here in S. FL, I do step up a grade in viscosity. Run 10W-30EP in all my stuff. (until this last set of oil changes where I could not find it)

Thanks for the info. Valvoline EP 5w30 is hard to find consistently my my local Walmarts, but M1 EP is always there.

Based off all of these comments and info, I’m going to switch to M1 EP 5W30 + a Fram Ultra for this go around and keep the OCI at 5K.

Your vehicle is already is a 10,000 mi./1 year OCI from the factory, not 5,000 miles. So any extended protection oils will more than enough fulfill your requirement.

Severe service 5k interval is smart.

0w20 is recommended for mpg so the synth 5w30 is better already. In a warmer southern climate, consider a 3.5+ HTHS oil.

Fram Ultra isn't a full synthetic media anymore and not worth the expense. Consider the Purolator Boss, Wix XP, and Napa Platinum, unless you want to unnecessarily splurge on a cartridge filter from Amsoil or RoyalPurple. A Walmart MP9972 is a worthy choice since interval isn't excessive.
I don't see the need for any mail-order oil unless you want the sticker, t-shirt, or baseball cap that comes with it. Your Valvoline, as well as any full synthetic oil from walmart or local autopart stores, and your 5k interval, along with your stepping up to ~3.1cst oil, should lead to an extremely long engine life.

Don't neglect the coolant, BF, or ATF either.

Looking to switch to once a year oil changes for my 2022 Tacoma, which is due for an oil change at 15k miles. Max yearly mileage wouldn’t exceed 15k a year, I live on the Gulf Coast, my daily commute is 8 miles of short trips (gym + work).

Current is 5k OCIs with 5w30 Valvoline EP + OEM filter.

I’m thinking about switching to HPL Euro No VII 5w30 + Fram Ultra.

Convince me that I’m overthinking this whole thing and to stop worrying about doing 5k OCIs.

Thanks in advance.
With either the 2.7L or the 3.5L, two entirely different systems, the HPL will stand up to 15k mile OCIs period.

Back