HPL First Run, Change Filter @3k ?

First run of euro 10w20 no VII in 2013 Hyundai Elantra.
Car has 107k miles. Previous oil was virtually all Pennzoil platinum. First oci or two when new was Mazda with moly. Maybe 1 oci of supertech. The Rest all Pennzoil platinum with fram ultra filters.
Oci were 5k to 7.5 k .

@wwillson ,@OVERKILL , others who have more run time on HPL, should I swap filters now at 3k on the run and top off ? Or run to 5k and change oil and filter?

Thanks.

Probably not a bad plan.

I just did a 5000 mile filter change. I’ve been swamped at work so I haven’t been able to cut it open over lunch time but will try tomorrow.

My Ram had Platinum on 10k changes since about 15k. Filter change was at about 60k.

An oil filter is cheap... pull it at 2,500 miles, cut it open, and look.

If it is clean, you are merely out the price of the filter and a little oil...

If it is full of chunks or sludge, or has gone into bypass, you will be thankful you pulled it early...

The above is what I did the first time I ran HPL... better safe than sorry with an engine over 100,000 miles!

Last edited:
@wwillson ,@OVERKILL , others who have more run time on HPL, should I swap filters now at 3k on the run and top off ? Or run to 5k and change oil and filter?
My opinion is to pull the filter at 2,500 miles and see how much carbon is in the filter, then adjust the filter change interval from what you learn. I ran HPL in our 2013 Elantra and you can see what the HPL cleaned here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...13-hyundai-elantra-cut-filter-element.354369/

First run of euro 10w20 no VII in 2013 Hyundai Elantra.
Car has 107k miles. Previous oil was virtually all Pennzoil platinum. First oci or two when new was Mazda with moly. Maybe 1 oci of supertech. The Rest all Pennzoil platinum with fram ultra filters.
Oci were 5k to 7.5 k .

Thanks.

LMAO……!!

The OP ran “one or two OCIs with Mazda factory fill, one OCI with SuperTech, and the rest with Pennzoil Platinum for 5k to 7.5k OCIs.”

Yeah, it has 107k miles on the engine. So, what?

Yet, he’s getting advice because the oil filter might be “full of chunks or sludge” in spite of high quality oils and respectable OCIs.

Why?!!

“Oh, he’s using the magical elixir known as HPL and it will seek and destroy all the varnish, sludge, and “chunks” the previous oils (that used to be BITOG darlings) have clearly left behind!”

Seriously, folks?

Spasm3,

For what you paid for that elixir, LEAVE IT IN!

Change the filter at 3k miles and cut it open. PLEASE! I wanna see the chunks!

Top off and run the oil out to 7.5k miles. Maybe have a UOA performed by Oil Analyzers or Wear Check. Replace the oil with the same HPL. Use the quality UOA to confirm you can likely extend your OCI beyond 7.5k miles.

Good luck!

Yet, he’s getting advice because the oil filter might be “full of chunks or sludge” in spite of high quality oils and respectable OCIs.

Why?!!
Yeah, it has 107k miles on the engine. So, what?
Did you take the time to look at the oil filter from my Hyundai Elantra that ran HPL?

“Oh, he’s using the magical elixir known as HPL and it will seek and destroy all the varnish, sludge, and “chunks” the previous oils (that used to be BITOG darlings) have clearly left behind!”
The fact is HPL is high in esters and alkylated naphthalene, both of strong cleaners.

Again, did you take the time to look at the oil filter from my Hyundai Elantra that ran HPL?

The debris in the filter in my Elantra was cleaned by HPL oil. That is a fact. My Elantra wasn't abused or neglected and still had deposits that were cleaned and ended up in the filter. The same with my Durango.

You see, Spasm is simply wanting to avoid doing what I did by running the filter too long. He is asking the opinion of people who have real experience, not just feelings and emotions.

Did you take the time to look at the oil filter from my Hyundai Elantra that ran HPL?

Did you take the time to read where I politely asked spasm3 to change the filter at 3k miles and cut it open?

If, in fact, he has the same “debris” in his filter, then everything that has been held sacred on BITOG, is out the widow!

As in, “OCIs at 5k or 7.5k miles and worse yet, SuperTech and Pennzoil Platinum as great oils.”

No feelings. No emotions. Just reality.

I’m currently in my first run of HPL No VII in the 5w20 flavor and recently hit the 3k mile mark. I cut the Fram Ultra filter open and had quite a bit of carbon build up, the same as seen in OVERKILL and wwilson previous posts. Granted this engine has over 225k miles on it with unknown oil change history other than the past 10k miles since I’ve had it. I think you’re making the wise choice of changing it out at the 3k mark.

I’m currently in my first run of HPL No VII in the 5w20 flavor and recently hit the 3k mile mark. I cut the Fram Ultra filter open and had quite a bit of carbon build up, the same as seen in OVERKILL and wwilson previous posts. Granted this engine has over 225k miles on it with unknown oil change history other than the past 10k miles since I’ve had it. I think you’re making the wise choice of changing it out at the 3k mark.

did you use their EC before the No VII?

You have an Elantra with just over 100,000 miles. Based on it's history, it's probably good for a loooong time just doing what you're doing. What are you trying to accomplish with this expensive change of direction?

I did. I used one quart of the EC with Mobil 1 ESP for approximation 3k miles before the current run of No VII. I didn’t inspect the filters after that drain though.

gotcha.

i ran the EC with vanilla Mobil 1 in my Highlander with 187,000+ miles for 2,000 miles.

now she has HPL NO VII in 10W-30 flavor. i'm curious to see what my filter picks up after this run...

i'm also running the EC in my mom's Rav4. the EC has been in there for 6,000 miles without an oil filter change. i can't remember what filter i put in. i plan on changing this week and putting in some HPL 10W-30 in there and running for 10,000 miles. probably going to use an Ultra Fram filter and change the filter at 5,000 miles and top up with more HPL. her vehicle has 250,000+ miles with just bulk oil services every 5,000-6,000 miles.

My opinion is to pull the filter at 2,500 miles and see how much carbon is in the filter, then adjust the filter change interval from what you learn. I ran HPL in our 2013 Elantra and you can see what the HPL cleaned here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...13-hyundai-elantra-cut-filter-element.354369/
I changed the filter and cut it today. I replaced it with a frame endurance, as there were no more ultras on the shelf in my part number ( XG9688).
This is not a big filter. Interesting that the new filter has a wider gasket seal.

Really not much in the can. Nothing large in the pleats.
If I wiped the pleat with a paper towel , I saw really small particles.

I'm inclined to run this another 3k miles, dump it and the go with an extended interval.

Pics.
IMG_20230614_165156989.jpg
IMG_20230617_160543770.jpg
IMG_20230617_160355598_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230617_160738883_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230617_161305278_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230617_161444594_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230617_161422327_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230617_161358560_HDR~2.jpg

Back