HPL First Run, Change Filter @3k ?

I think there is material there, its just small, nothing large.
Yes, mine was all super fine, almost like soot (but soot is insanely fine). It was weird with the RAM though, because some of it was in like a "paste" in the bottom of the can, which wasn't the case for the Jeep.

Yes, mine was all super fine, almost like soot (but soot is insanely fine). It was weird with the RAM though, because some of it was in like a "paste" in the bottom of the can, which wasn't the case for the Jeep.
I switched my ram over to HPL at around 2200 miles. So nothing really to clean out. I've been a year on this oil and may go another. I'm at 3k also on the ram on the HPL.

spasm3:

I see you’re running the Euro no VII in 10w-20 grade in your Elantra and CX-5.

Is there a particular reason you chose that specific oil and grade?

spasm3:

I see you’re running the Euro no VII in 10w-20 grade in your Elantra and CX-5.

Is there a particular reason you chose that specific oil and grade?
I chose it primarily as the Mazda is a fuel diluter.

Shear stable grade. There were uoas at the 2021 open house that looked really good in the Mazda 2.5 g

@RDY4WAR may have more info.

The lack of VII means the oil is very shear stable and holds its viscosity better in the face of fuel dilution. VII and fuel, especially ethanol, don't play well together. The fuel can exacerbate the shearing of the VII. With HPL PCMO 10W-20 in a TGDI, it started 8.6 cSt and ended at 5k miles with 8.1 cSt, well within grade, despite having 4.9% fuel dilution. That PCMO 10W-20 also has a Noack of just 3.4%.

The lack of VII means the oil is very shear stable and holds its viscosity better in the face of fuel dilution. VII and fuel, especially ethanol, don't play well together. The fuel can exacerbate the shearing of the VII. With HPL PCMO 10W-20 in a TGDI, it started 8.6 cSt and ended at 5k miles with 8.1 cSt, well within grade, despite having 4.9% fuel dilution. That PCMO 10W-20 also has a Noack of just 3.4%.
Thank you! You explained it better, than I could remember!

Informative! Thanks.

With the various “offerings” from HPL, it’s always good to get the “best fit” for your particular engine.

You gotta love that Noack value. In the past I was happy with anything <10.

I do think I had some cold startup noise in the Elantra when the temps we in the mid 30's over night.

Thinking I'll do the euro no VII 5w20 next change.
Or should I go with the euro 5w30 with VIi?

That Elantra is not a DI engine, is it?

Define “cold startup noise,” please. A shake? A rattle? Or a roll?
Or a clatter?

Post #18 says you are using a Fram Endurance as the Ultra was unavailable.(?)
Other than noting the wider gasket, I wouldn’t think there would be enough difference between the Ultra and Endurance to create startup noise.

Then again………..

That Elantra is not a DI engine, is it?

Define “cold startup noise,” please. A shake? A rattle? Or a roll?
Or a clatter?

Post #18 says you are using a Fram Endurance as the Ultra was unavailable.(?)
Other than noting the wider gasket, I wouldn’t think there would be enough difference between the Ultra and Endurance to create startup noise.

Then again………..
The Elantra is MPFI I had some cold startup noise, thinking it was valve train or the VVT . This was back when i switched to HPL ( with a fram ultra) in January, we got some more cooler nights in the mid to low thirty's F.

No noise at all past 40F. The Fram endurance is what i just installed.

“Oh, he’s using the magical elixir known as HPL and it will seek and destroy all the varnish, sludge, and “chunks” the previous oils (that used to be BITOG darlings) have clearly left behind!”
Oh man, you're a Negative Nancy... 🤔

Oh man, you're a Negative Nancy... 🤔

Read ALL of the posts, Rod!

No negative. No “Knockin’ It.”

You simply pull one sentence out of several posts to form an “opinion,”
Which is a wrong opinion.

Par for the course on BITOG as of late.

I check my oil level today at the 4 k mark, and i noticed its much darker that it was at 3 k. I know that color is not an indication of condition, but it is a change. It was fairly amber at 3k. Perhaps the time or the 4k mark is where it does more cleaning ?

I may change it at 5k since its the first run. I was going to just change filters and then dump the oil at 7-10k. But i think 5k may be prudent.

Back