2019 Ram 5.7 HPL Choice

Too many options. Premium. Euro. No VII. Frustrating to figure out . I just went with Amsoil SS. Cheaper at $11/qt and i can get 7 quarts
That's for all brands. Even Amsoil now has Hybrid, Euro, SS, Extended, etc. I get what you're saying though.

It's interesting that the companies that have more freedom (HPL and Red Line let's say) do seem to prefer higher levels of AW/detergents. Which makes you wonder what compromises are being made with the low/mid-SAPS oils. But at the same time there are some great mid-SAP blends.
@High Performance Lubricants has noted that there is no replacement for ZDDP, that's why, despite how problematic it is to work with (and toxic to produce), we still use it. Now, you can get away with using less of it, by blending in other FM's and AW additives and exploiting their synergies with ZDDP, but there is no 1-for-1 replacement, and of course those same synergies exist at higher concentrations of ZDDP as well.

I think one can infer the capability of the full-SAPS Euro approach by how far outside that sphere the use of M1 FS 0W-40 spread, and how well it has tested in Dave's lab.

@High Performance Lubricants has noted that there is no replacement for ZDDP, that's why, despite how problematic it is to work with (and toxic to produce), we still use it. Now, you can get away with using less of it, by blending in other FM's and AW additives and exploiting their synergies with ZDDP, but there is no 1-for-1 replacement, and of course those same synergies exist at higher concentrations of ZDDP as well.

I think one can infer the capability of the full-SAPS Euro approach by how far outside that sphere the use of M1 FS 0W-40 spread, and how well it has tested in Dave's lab.
I remember Red Line telling me that too years back. I think SonofJoe was still a proponent of full SAPs too. However he did acknowledge that he was retired for a long time and not fully aware of the newer chemistry.

It seemed the old PAO/POE high Ca and ZDP worked exceptionally well for years.

Is there any truth to HEMI engines lasting longer on Red Line? burla swears by it lol.
He conflates noise (tick) with the lifter failure issue (which may not make any noise at all). If you have a defective lifter, no oil is going to stop it from eventually failing (improper heat treating on the roller or pin). If you have a tick, that's not indicative of you having a failing lifter.

Also, what do you think the odds are that the pampered truck run on Redline is going to end up with huge miles on it like fleet vehicles do?

What Redline should do, is help keep these dirty engines clean, which my use of HPL has shown me, just how dirty these things run, lol.

I’m using the Supercar blend in my 2019 Classic. I think the OLM is at 40%, maybe I’ll send off a sample soon, it’ll be easy enough with the fumoto valve, about 6,000-7,000 miles on it, aiming for 1 year. Been in there since March 🤔

Guys I've obtained an advanced prototype GF-12 oil based on Greta Thunberg. Should be great for the HEMI

Moly 0
Boron 0
Magnesium 0
Calcium 0
Phos 1
Zinc 4

Viscosity at 100C 2.4 cSt

Base No. .002

Oxidation 0
Nitration 0

I’m using the Supercar blend in my 2019 Classic. I think the OLM is at 40%, maybe I’ll send off a sample soon, it’ll be easy enough with the fumoto valve, about 6,000-7,000 miles on it, aiming for 1 year. Been in there since March 🤔
Your driving/OLM sound pretty similar to mine. 1000 miles/10% or so.

On the back of my mind is going 20k with 10k filter changes. UOA supported of course.

But I'm scared lol

Guys I've obtained an advanced prototype GF-12 oil based on Greta Thunberg. Should be great for the HEMI

Moly 0
Boron 0
Magnesium 0
Calcium 0
Phos 1
Zinc 4

Base No. .002

Oxidation 0
Nitration 0
Jeebus, that stuff would last 100 miles lol

Your driving/OLM sound pretty similar to mine. 1000 miles/10% or so.

On the back of my mind is going 20k with 10k filter changes. UOA supported of course.

But I'm scared lol
I’ll go first lol, I’ll probably see right near 50,000 miles by March 2024 which would put me at about 12,000 on the oil. Supposedly the Mobil 1 filters are good for 20k, I’ll get a UOA ordered and see how everything is holding up.

The goal is protection while maintaining at least 10,000 mile intervals (we're not going to debate the interval here). If I extend further, it would be UOA supported with a mid-way filter change.

If that's your goal, your oil choice seems to align with it IMO. Problem is, will the engine agree over the long term?

I had the same truck as you. A 2019 Ram 1500 SLT crew cab, hemi, 4x4 I bought as an ex-rental in June of 2020. It had 15K miles on it when I bought it and was in rental service for a year.

I wouldn't go beyond 5000mi between OCIs on it because I wanted to examine the filter media for signs of cam/lifter trouble.

I kept the truck until Oct 2022 w/ 60K miles on it and miss it at times.

I’ll go first lol, I’ll probably see right near 50,000 miles by March 2024 which would put me at about 12,000 on the oil. Supposedly the Mobil 1 filters are good for 20k, I’ll get a UOA ordered and see how everything is holding up.
I'm more concerned about the filter currently. I've thorough cut apart the last couple filters that I've removed. Not sure if what I'm finding are combustion byproduct from the dirty hemi/MDS or if it's cleaning from the HPL.

Amsoil EA15K50 Cut Open 4636 miles - HPL PCMO
Amsoil EA15K50 Cut Open 5511miles - HPL PCMO
Some words have been minimized to reduce the trauma some have with the situation.

If that's your goal, your oil choice seems to align with it IMO. Problem is, will the engine agree over the long term?

I had the same truck as you. A 2019 Ram 1500 SLT crew cab, hemi, 4x4 I bought as an ex-rental in June of 2020. It had 15K miles on it when I bought it and was in rental service for a year.

I wouldn't go beyond 5000mi between OCIs on it because I wanted to examine the filter media for signs of cam/lifter trouble.

I kept the truck until Oct 2022 w/ 60K miles on it and miss it at times.
I considering following the OLM to not really be extended OCIs, especially when using a higher than expected grade of oil (synthetic instead of conventional), however, I know some here do consider this to be an extended OC interval. In my situation, I think the OLM is well suited to my driving. I think my Pennzoil Platinum UOAs reinforce my methodology. And considering HPL is well above and beyond PP, I have zero concerns with 10k on HPL. I'd like to get to a point of doing 10k on the oil and filter and not have the mid OCI filter change.

This truck has proven to me that I will never not have a truck.

I'm more concerned about the filter currently. I've thorough cut apart the last couple filters that I've removed. Not sure if what I'm finding are combustion byproduct from the dirty hemi/MDS or if it's cleaning from the HPL.

I ran mostly supertech synthetic 5w30 and low cost champ filters. If anything, I would also find a bit of carbon-like material in my filters.

There's a reason Ford mandates a minimum level of phosphorous in their diesel spec ;)

Not sure if you saw, but @RDY4WAR recently mentioned that an engine he built lost the cam because the guy that bought it watched the Project Farm oil comparison video and believed that Supertech (which meets those API specs) was just as good as the oil he was instructed to use with this engine.
I’m assuming by being built, it wasn’t a motor built for a Camry or an Accord as a daily driver/commuter car. Why on earth wouldn’t you follow the engine builders exact specifications/instructions to the T?

I’m assuming by being built, it wasn’t a motor built for a Camry or an Accord as a daily driver/commuter car. Why on earth wouldn’t you follow the engine builders exact specifications/instructions to the T?
Because Youtube videos can be very convincing at "informing" folks that what they are told is wrong, just look at the "proof" derived from some rig setup to show you so!

Moly 0
Boron 0
Magnesium 0
Calcium 0
Phos 1
Zinc 4

Base No. .002

Oxidation 0
Nitration 0
If you want talk about an oil from the future, let's look at this UOA of Delo 600 ADF:

PDS: https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=579106&docFormat=PDF
VOA: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/chevron-delo-600-adf-sample.338656/

Last edited:
Back