How long can I safely run this oil/filter combo?

I've got a '97 Ford I bought new in Feb. '98. This is technically a 24 year old car with 41K miles. I do 5K mile OCI's on conventional oil (Exxon Superflo) regardless of elapsed time. Hasn't seemed to have any negative effects on it. The oil I'm using in it is oil I had in my garage when I bought the car new. What's the difference in it sitting in the oil pan or in plastic bottles on a shelf in the garage? Years ago on an old oil burner/leaker I had I started pouring oil from my other cars in it as topping off oil. When I sold the car it had been 31K miles without an oil change. There was no knocking in the engine and the guy that bought it drove it another year or two after buying it from me and only scrapped it because it wouldn't pass emissions testing.

You could easily go two years IF you get the engine nice and warm when you drive it. No starting the truck to just move it a few feet when it's cold. This type of thing drives water vapor and fuel into the oil. If you are just doing only put-put trips, go a year and get the oil analyzed at 12-15 months.

You live in W WA and you aren't buying oil from me?:)
OK that's what I was thinking as well.

I'm surprised that I haven't heard from someone who's done this, last time I was active in here there were all kinds of experiments going on LOL

There's a dealer just a couple miles from me, and she's cute, so yeah 😂

I run 25 on a couple with dinosaur. 2 of them at 5 years and oil looks like it was put in last week on 1. The cars will be scrap before it's a thing with the engine.

Read again. Amsoil says 25k miles or one year.
On a side note, I change my F150 oil and filter every 2 or 3 years on SuperTech Synthetic.
I agree, I don’t consider time a factor in my maintenance, I don’t want to waste resources, I’m doing 10K OCI on 2GR-FE which is what the manufacturer spec’d with 2-3 oil changes on the same fram ultra, I’m using extended performance oils that are now up to 20,000 miles but I will only extend my OCI when I get around to doing UOA

I’m currently living in a small college town so everything is 1-5 miles away with only 30 mph speeds and extreme cold start up, even in the summer it’s 30-35F in the mornings

Or because nothing is close by, if we need anything else, I’m driving 75-150 miles minimum one way at 82-85 mph

super short trips or super long trips on the highway.

I’m basing this on UOAs on the 2GR-FEs I have seen here with some even more severe duty doing 10K OCI on SuperTech Full Synthetic.

it all depends on the engine, is your engine a problematic engine? have you seen any UOA on that engine and how is the maintenance history? If everything is kept up to date, then get an oil extractor and do UOA until you can get a fair understanding on how the oil is performing on your engine with your driving habits and you will know how long you can maybe run the oil.

skip the Amsoil, cost doesn’t make sense to me, there are many capable 20,000 mile oils that can be had on sale for very cheap, even the Advanced SuperTech now is rated at 20,000 miles ($16.xx) just do a UOA and see how everything is to know if you could go multiple years on the oil of your choice

I've owned and maintained the F150 for 2/3's of it's life and I bought it from a friend that was meticulous about maintenance. I'm coming up to two years in May since it's last OCI. That will be 2 years and 800 miles (mostly highway). I'm thinking going another year without concern.

Seen factory oil and filter go for 33,000 miles . This was for an '88 Ford Festiva . Engine was a 1.3 ltr. from the Mazda 121 . Car was used for food delivery . I was asked to check the oil and was down close to 2 quarts . They started getting oil changes after that and went well over 110,000 miles . Amazing little engine . So , you'd think AMSOIL true synthetic could go up to 25,000 miles along with 20,000 mile oil filter .

Last edited:
How old are you? At that rate of driving might be able to go the rest of the owners life.

Of course they recommend a year. Its not a must... The oil doesn't have feelings or know if its been in there 20 days or 20 months. They sell 5x as much in 5 years if you change it. No skin off their tail to recommend that,

Biggest issue will be how you drive it-if you roll down the highway for 50 miles at a time, it could probably handle 25K with Amsoil, M1 EP/AP, and a full synthetic media filter. If you only drive 1/2 a mile to somewhere & back, 3000 miles might be too long! Oil analysis is your friend-it will tell you (as it did me) whether your oil choice & usage is good enough or not.

Run a good quality oil and filter and sleep well . Most of the recommendations you see are pure marketing . That Toyota 4cyl will run forever if you don't abuse it .

I've got a 2006 Tacoma with the 4 cyl engine, 156K miles, not burning oil and no other known issues. I've always changed the oil and filter every 5K miles, sometimes using conventional and sometimes running whatever syn was on sale.

I'm retired now and don't enjoy getting under the truck like I used to, nor do I put as many miles on it every year, now driving about 4 - 5K per year.

Most of my trips now are short trips across town, but once a week I drive 20 miles round trip on the freeway. And 2 or 3 times a year I'll take this rig on a longer freeway drive.

My question- Can I run a premium oil and filter for an extended period of time, I mean several years? Considering Amsoil ASL and the Amsoil filter, as I'm told by my local dealer that combo is good for 25K miles.
That combo you're running should not be used for 25k in your case, not even close. That dealer doesn't have a clue nor does he seem to care. If he did then he wouldn't have told you such nonsense. I like and also use Amsoil but I would never use it as he suggested in your scenario.

I go 2 years or 5,000 miles, but the vehicle I do that on never gets short tripped and the oil always gets to full operating temperature for most of the drive. That's the key IMO when going longer than the 1 year max recommendation, which probably factors in lots of short trips. If you did 1 or 2 short trips out of 10, but did a long trip the next time, the other 9 or 10 longer trips will still take care of it.

That combo you're running should not be used for 25k in your case, not even close. That dealer doesn't have a clue nor does he seem to care. If he did then he wouldn't have told you such nonsense. I like and also use Amsoil but I would never use it as he suggested in your scenario.
“i like the brand that has promoted extended ocis for literally decades but i would never ever use their products as intended”

I've got a 2006 Tacoma with the 4 cyl engine, 156K miles, not burning oil and no other known issues. I've always changed the oil and filter every 5K miles, sometimes using conventional and sometimes running whatever syn was on sale.

I'm retired now and don't enjoy getting under the truck like I used to, nor do I put as many miles on it every year, now driving about 4 - 5K per year.

Most of my trips now are short trips across town, but once a week I drive 20 miles round trip on the freeway. And 2 or 3 times a year I'll take this rig on a longer freeway drive.

My question- Can I run a premium oil and filter for an extended period of time, I mean several years? Considering Amsoil ASL and the Amsoil filter, as I'm told by my local dealer that combo is good for 25K miles...
IMO, the short tripping is severe duty and it is even more important for a OCI of 5k or 1 yr; which ever is first. I would switch to a synthetic; even an inexpensive one like ST or Havoline ProDS.

Why would you possibly want to risk any known or unknown consequences of not changing your oil on regular time frame or at least on the high end of time change. I have seen engines that did not get regular changes when i worked at Ford. Oil ages evan in a sealed container. Therefore more so when put in service. The price of an oil change versus the potential price of a new engine.... Sorry no bet. You want it to last do the regular maintenance. If your not able and don't have some extened family friends, neighbor. Then you may have to bite the bullet and find some shop you trust.

I'm not going to offer you any number of miles or elapsed time, but I will share what I believe is common sense. Use Amsoil or any premium full synthetic oil that YOU feel will "go the distance." I am an absolutely unapologetic Amsoil user because I have years of UOA using Amsoil, and I have full faith in what I'm doing; but you can use any oil you wish. Run it as far as you dare, then take a sample and send it off for UOA. Everything that everyone says about "miles" or "1 year" is all speculation or "recommendation" until you have UOA. Are you neglecting your engine or changing too early and throwing away good oil? A couple UOA will answer your questions. I can tell you that Horizon Test Lab (Amsoil) isn't even interested in an initial sample until there is 7500 miles on the oil. (I'm running bypass filtration), but I have run out to almost 40K without an oil change (supported by UOA), and for the naysayers the car is still running fine almost 100K later. I do not neglect my vehicles; nor do I believe in spending too much time UNDER it.

I have the same vehicle and it runs perfect at 170k miles. For our trucks, Toyota says 6 months or 5,000 miles / whichever comes first, using conventional oil. I am running Mobil 1 or PP 5w30 synthetic for 7000-7500 miles (around 8-9 months), been doing this for a while and it works awesome. For your situation... keep in mind that short tripping is hard on oil. I understand you want to go beyond 1 year, so definitely use synthetic and definitely do an oil analysis before extending the interval too far. Also you might look into oversized oil filters: Motorcraft FL400S or Wix 51516 are my suggestions. (Wix XP filters might be tempting, but be advised that they achieve longer life through lower efficiency than the standard Wix filters.) Finally, these 2.7 engines are known for burning oil when they get above ~ 200k ODO miles due to ring coking/ring sticking, and this can largely be avoided by using synthetic oil and keeping it clean. So honestly, if you plan on keeping your truck forever like I do, I would recommend annual changes with synthetic. With all the rebates going around, you can do a synthetic oil/filter change for $25 or less. Good luck, I hope this helps you.

Last edited:
In the absence of oil analysis data I do annual oil changes just to be on the safe side.

I figure old oil is nasty and oil changes are cheap enough.

Why not buy 2 of the oil analysis kits from RockAuto?
This exactly. No way to definitively answer these kinds of questions because there are so many variables at play. Only way to definitively know, is an oil analysis.

Of course, most of the correct answers are oil analysis and what's in the manual? However, that would render a good percentage of these posts/threads as useless, so here we are.

LOL (I laugh because it really is true.)

Back