Recommend a complete overkill oil + filter combo for a Toyota.

That is strictly your opinion. Unless you have conversed with the OP and can confirm that his trips are being done in temperatures under 32F...
Never spoken with the OP, just using logic and not trying to win an internet argument, like you are. His claimed driving pattern calls for a shorter OCI than what he is wanting.

Never spoken with the OP, just using logic and not trying to win an internet argument, like you are. His claimed driving pattern calls for a shorter OCI than what he is wanting.
Again, per Toyota, ambient temperature of <32F is the qualifying factor here. How are you addressing this in your "argument?"

0w40 if you don’t care to be manual compliant.

I have a ‘22 4R that wants a 0w20, but states going up a grade is allowed if the vehicle is used for towing. I just run M1 5w30. I’d prefer Castrol 5w30 A3/B4, but it being API SL I think would make it not manual compliant.

Again, per Toyota, ambient temperature of
You're the one arguing. I'm just saying if the OP is concerned for the longevity of his engine, with his stated driving habits, he needs to do 5K OCIs regardless of what the owner's manual guidance is.

HPL or Red Line if you want the “best”, else M1 EP/M1 ESP(if available in your grade), M1 or Pennzoil Platinum. Stick to 5K OCIs. I have a RX450h in my care that is used for Uber - M1 5W-30 and OE filters. I went up to thicker oil since Uber falls under “severe” use. Two Tundras I maintain also get the 5W-20/30 treatment, they see long road trips in the mountains.

Some Toyotas will naturally burn oil - Corolla/Prius/Yaris especially. It’s just the nature of the beast.

HPL or Red Line if you want the “best”, else M1 EP/M1 ESP(if available in your grade), M1 or Pennzoil Platinum. Stick to 5K OCIs. I have a RX450h in my care that is used for Uber - M1 5W-30 and OE filters. I went up to thicker oil since Uber falls under “severe” use. Two Tundras I maintain also get the 5W-20/30 treatment, they see long road trips in the mountains.

Some Toyotas will naturally burn oil - Corolla/Prius/Yaris especially. It’s just the nature of the beast.
Is it ok to run M1 ESP in the same grade, even though it is not what the manual calls for (API SP, ILSAC GF-6a, whereas ESP is API SM/SN)?

I have seen to many 300,000 + mile Toyotas that get 5,000 mile oil change intervals at their quickie lube places running the quickie lube and their oil and filters.

I have seen to many 300,000 + mile Toyotas that get 5,000 mile oil change intervals at their quickie lube places running the quickie lube and their oil and filters.
Definitely. But now they're switching to turbo and twin turbo charged engines. I'm waiting for the upcoming 4Runner/Prado, which seems most likely to have a turbo charged 4 cyl. The Tundra and LC300 and LX600 are already running a TT V6.

I currently have a 2019 Sorento, which calls for API SM or better, so I don't know if it's worth trying the M1 5W-30 ESP on it.

If you love that Toyota vehicle as much as you then why would you not just simply change the oil every 6 months? It's still low miles at 7500 miles ever 6 months.
Why you want the same oil sitting around in an engine for a while year.
I think the best maintenance is to plan for an oil change every 6 months.
Also, this opens and opportunity to look around the vehicle and possibly bring notice bro other potential problems such as a leak or a bad belt before it comes a problem.

HPL is great oil. My concern would be the mix of short trips and a long oci.

Probably should do uoa on your 5k oil to see where you are.
If one were to stick with HPL’s recommended filter change at 5k, and the filter is mounted flange up, collecting the UOA while swapping the filter is the easiest bet. Then, just top off the sump, motor on, and wait for the results to come in! 👍🏻

Back