Recommend a complete overkill oil + filter combo for a Toyota.

Looking to switch to once a year oil changes for my 2022 Tacoma, which is due for an oil change at 15k miles. Max yearly mileage wouldn’t exceed 15k a year, I live on the Gulf Coast, my daily commute is 8 miles of short trips (gym + work).

Current is 5k OCIs with 5w30 Valvoline EP + OEM filter.

I’m thinking about switching to HPL Euro No VII 5w30 + Fram Ultra.

Convince me that I’m overthinking this whole thing and to stop worrying about doing 5k OCIs.

Thanks in advance.
If you want to use HPL, the standard PCMO 5W-30 would likely do well for you. I think 15k miles would be a good interval, but you might want to send a sample at 7.5k or 10k to verify. If you could slip in a good highway run once a week, it would be better.

The TRD filters are still good quality and fully synthetic media.

Severe service 5k interval is smart.

0w20 is recommended for mpg so the synth 5w30 is better already. In a warmer southern climate, consider a 3.5+ HTHS oil.

Fram Ultra isn't a full synthetic media anymore and not worth the expense. Consider the Purolator Boss, Wix XP, and Napa Platinum, unless you want to unnecessarily splurge on a cartridge filter from Amsoil or RoyalPurple. A Walmart MP9972 is a worthy choice since interval isn't excessive.
I don't see the need for any mail-order oil unless you want the sticker, t-shirt, or baseball cap that comes with it. Your Valvoline, as well as any full synthetic oil from walmart or local autopart stores, and your 5k interval, along with your stepping up to ~3.1cst oil, should lead to an extremely long engine life.

Don't neglect the coolant, BF, or ATF either.
I’ll look into the other filter options. Do you have a preference?

Preference is based on availability supply chain in stock, sales, online discounts, or clearance. I typically stick with full synthetic media since cars here get too many hours vs mileage during excessive traffic city commuting. Will be changing the oil in the ol' lady's '21 Kia 2.4 tomorrow for her 3750mile requirement and normal year point maintenance. Out with NapaPlatinum filter and in with a Supertech MP oil filter(which has an orange ADBV instead of the cool blue ADBV). Cabin air filter will be a Fram and the fit was tolerable but will avoid it next year. Wix, STP, and Purolator air filters are usually at Oreillyauto Autozone Advanceauto so need to make a run for whatever brand 'locking tab' air filter is in stock, and any jug of any brand Asian Green(zerex/pentofrost/peak) coolant for the radiator drain/refill, along with a gallon some full or blend synthetic multivehicle/Asian LV ATF(probably Maxlife), and a can of STP IVD cleaner found on clearance. A bottle of RedLine SI-1 was added to a full tank of gas last week to deal with a cold start miss and rough idle since the woman fills up at pathetic non-toptier Murphy/Sams/Walmart/JirkleK/VP/Kef too often for the points added free slushie, weiner, or bag of chips. Installed a RainX Endura silicone driver side wiper today and still haven't found a passenger side quality wiper in stock. Think it had Bosch wipers last year at this time which started annoying streaking after about 9 months. Will hunt for passenger side wiper, the air filter, and coolant later which means a trip deeper into town so I'll grab some GM dealership brake fluid for the Toyota/Kia/VW flushes to replace the Honda brake fluid that I've used for the last few years.

I’m stuck on what filter I should use. I guess it doesn’t really matter.
Fram Ultra is perfectly fine, I’ve noticed a decline in the overall appearance which has caused me to switch to the titanium but other than appearance no one here can disprove the claim by fram that the new media is actually better than the OG synthetic

FYI, the Purolator Boss, Wix XP, and Napa Platinum all have less filtering efficiency than the Ultra. Even though the new Ultra media isn't full synthetic media, it's still a 20K rated filter and 99+% at 20μ efficient. If you actually run the oil 10K miles, a higher efficiency filter is better.

That’s a big jump. I wouldn’t do it without data to support it. Start using the combo and do UOAs then see what happens. Even though analysis does tell the whole story it is better than just guessing.

If you’re on here, you’re over thinking it. The people who don’t over think it just follow the oil change reminder and use quick lubes. We are the afflicted ones.

When you take a 10k interval'd vehicle and change it out every 5k, the filter isn't going to be stressed, unless you're idling 100hrs of hours in that 5k. Just inspect the filter before/after each interval to make sure whatever brand part number you choose doesn't have any issues.

I don't care for excessive pleat spacing so I avoid those. I also don't care for media that bends. There are plenty of good filters out there for $4-$25 and its for you to pick whatever you want.

I also could care less about filter marketing. Change your filter with the oil always. Stick with the 5k intervals. Keep driving.

You're looking for complete overkill for a 2022 Tacoma? How about Amsoil 0w40 signature synthetic and Amsoil EA oil filter... I guess?

Repeated short trips tend to load the engine oil with fuel and moisture. The boutique oils may offer higher reserve TBN and can withstand those contaminants a bit longer, but I’d be concerned about exceeding the OEM interval of 1/10K unless you can monitor oil condition.

Once you add in the cost of UOA, it rarely makes sense to exceed the OEM interval.

Your vehicle is already is a 10,000 mi./1 year OCI from the factory, not 5,000 miles. So any extended protection oils will more than enough fulfill your requirement.
You are wrong. His driving habits put him in the severe use category which mandates 5K OCIs.

You are wrong. His driving habits put him in the severe use category which mandates 5K OCIs.
1677691699815.jpg

Not necessarily. It is only considered severe use if the short trips are under 5 miles in length AND are in conditions under 32F, OR if there is extensive idling/low-speed driving for long distances.

View attachment 142692
Not necessarily. It is only considered severe use if the short trips are under 5 miles in length AND are in conditions under 32F, OR if there is extensive idling/low-speed driving for long distances.
Actually, I'm right and you are wrong. The OP says short trips of 8 miles total which include gym and work. Logically, he'll spend enough time at the gym for the engine to cool down sufficiently that the additional short leg to work equals another cold start without sufficient time for the engine to come up to full operating temperature to evaporate the internal moisture.

The OP is foolish going that long of an OCI, but it's his engine and his money. Like the commercial says you can pay now or pay later.

Actually, I'm right and you are wrong. The OP says short trips of 8 miles total which include gym and work. Logically, he'll spend enough time at the gym for the engine to cool down sufficiently that the additional short leg to work equals another cold start without sufficient time for the engine to come up to full operating temperature to evaporate the internal moisture.
That is strictly your opinion. Unless you have conversed with the OP and can confirm that his trips are being done in temperatures under 32F...

Back