How long will this engine last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought new and Oil/filter changed at 1K miles and then every 4-5K miles (Toyota recommends 5K). All other maintaince performed per manufactures recommendation. It's a Toyota 4.7 V8. I'm using dino oil Castrol GTX 5w30 which meets the spec's recommended by Toyota and the Toyota OEM oil filter. Normal miles driven per year is 18-20K and most trips are between 5-15 miles each direction. Vehicle is kept in a heated garage in the winter. How many miles do you think this engine will run before it needs to be overhauled?

452,312.2 miles.
grin.gif

****, I'm going to be 78 years old using the Castrol GTX 5w30 and I will be 84 years old if I use the Mobil 1. I love to get new cars so I think I will need to stop changing the oil altogether or I will never get to own another new car before I die
frown.gif

Dang if someone could pick these numbers with in 10,000 miles I would be impressed!

I think this would be about as hard picking how many penneys are in a jar. Too many variables.

If you want the longest life use a good syn oil.

Well I would consider Havoline or Chevron Supreme over Castrol GTX. We have seen better UOA in general from these two oil then Castrol. I think you would find slightly better results with dino 10W30 then with Dino 5W30's in this engine.

Usualy wear rates between dino and synthetic oils is marginal at best until you start to get into extremes. The real advantage with the synthetics is going to be a cleaner engine, better flow and physical charteristics at both ends of temp. extreme!

Now when you start to look at high end synthetics you can see a lot of differences in terms of additive package,solvency,HTHS,MRV etc......

THe area most people neglect most is not their engine oil! 99.9% of car owners never change their gear lubes or trany fluids unless someone like a fast oil change place or dealership suggests it! Prior to the release of the 5SPD automatic TOyota's technician told me to change the ATF in Mother's trany every 18,000 miles! Seeing how you only get 4 quarts out and they have a convient drain plug it is too easy!

I think I can guess closer than these guys...
I think/predict that the engine will last(drum roll) until you get good and tired of the vechicle and get rid of it. Even after all that it will go 50000 miles after the next guy buys it. Those Toyota 4.7L V8's are well built and well designed. It will serve you well. In other words the engine will last longer than your desire to keep it. Now, having said that run M1 10w-30 in it with 5k oci and be happy. (the regular M1 not the EP stuff)

quote:

Originally posted by Larry the Cable Guy:
What color is the truck?

Good point. Red trucks should last longer since it will be visually more apparent and avoid accidents. Hey, paint it fire truck fluorescent yellow.

I had a '80 Toyota pick-up (red). At 80,000 I sold to my brother. He drove it another 100,000 and sold it. Don't know what happened after that.

quote:

Originally posted by doctormdds:
Pitbull,

Keep doing what you're doing and the engine will last longer than you wish to keep it. Stick to your plan.

I concur, my mom's 98' camry V6 has 109K on it and it still runs like it was new. It's had M1 5w-30 every 3-5K since the first oil change.....and fram filters.
blush.gif
That's been recitfied, but you get my point. With regular oil changes a toyota will still be going long after the buttons have fallen off the radio.
wink.gif

I think you all are right. Synthetic would be better than dino and some dino's are better than others. But just by using a name brand SL rated oil and changing it every 5K miles along with following the other recommended service on the vehicle and it will last longer than I want to keep it
smile.gif
The longest I've ever owned a vehicle is 90K miles, figure I will keep this one 80K miles. So here is another question, why should I do more then follow Toyota's recommended maintance recommendations? Even if I wanted to keep it 200K miles, I really don't think it would buy me anything to switch to synthetic? It might help at over 200K but my neighbor has a Camero with 280K miles and he just does regular old dino oil changes every 3K miles and for the last 80K miles he only drives it 4 miles to work and then 4 miles home and it's still going strong (except other parts are failing, but he keeps replacing them
smile.gif
). I was thinking about going to Castrol Synthetic since the dealer has that as one of the choices and my next change is free but I have heard that Castrol Syntec isn't any better then Castrol GTX?? Did I hear wrong? Thanks for your responses.

quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull:
I think you all are right. Synthetic would be better than dino and some dino's are better than others. But just by using a name brand SL rated oil and changing it every 5K miles along with following the other recommended service on the vehicle and it will last longer than I want to keep it
smile.gif
The longest I've ever owned a vehicle is 90K miles, figure I will keep this one 80K miles. So here is another question, why should I do more then follow Toyota's recommended maintance recommendations? Even if I wanted to keep it 200K miles, I really don't think it would buy me anything to switch to synthetic? It might help at over 200K but my neighbor has a Camero with 280K miles and he just does regular old dino oil changes every 3K miles and for the last 80K miles he only drives it 4 miles to work and then 4 miles home and it's still going strong (except other parts are failing, but he keeps replacing them
smile.gif
). I was thinking about going to Castrol Synthetic since the dealer has that as one of the choices and my next change is free but I have heard that Castrol Syntec isn't any better then Castrol GTX?? Did I hear wrong? Thanks for your responses.

It would only buy you personal satisfaction. A good dino changed regularly will prefrom just as well as a synthetic. The only reason to experiment is to find what your vehicle likes best. Some engines really love GC, others don't...the same principle applies to all oils (and probably all car parts in general as well as tires, gas, transmission fluids, etc.). The only reason to "mix it up" is to try new things and see what your truck purrrrrs on. Plus it's kinda fun to try and decide what oil you are going to try next, or if you've found your definitive oil, try to find it on sale. Then you get to come back to BITOG and share how psyched you were to find Mobil1 EP 10w30 in the 5 quart jugs on sale for $16.99 and that you have a mail-in rebate for $5 off so you really got it for $16.99 + tax + $.37 stamp +.04 envelope - $5 rebate/(5 quarts)!!!! We're a community of nutty car folk who love a good sale and story.

quote:

Originally posted by Islandvic:
Is this in a Tundra, Land Cruiser, or 4Runner?

The engine will last longer than the vehicle.

Tundra, Sequoia 4.7 V8 made in the USA and the LC,LX,GX,4runner are made in Japan. Fewer reported problems on the engines made in Japan. Don't ask me why? But I would guess they have better quality control in Japan and better control of suppliers.

The engine won't ever die of an oil related issue, more likely of a cooling system issue. Most people don't bother taking care of their cooling system, too worried about oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Buick92:
The engine won't ever die of an oil related issue, more likely of a cooling system issue. Most people don't bother taking care of their cooling system, too worried about oil.

My 2004 Toyota 4runner came with the pink 100K mile coolant. I don't plan on changing it since I will be trading at 80K miles.

Pitbull.....if you are only going to keep this vehicle for
The UOAs we have been seeing out of SM dinos show wear #s equal to synthetics. The arguements for using synthetics are centered around extended OCIs and engine cleanliness. 5K OCIs with dino will be more than adequate on a Toyota. Save your money and spend it on $2.50/gal gas for that 4.7L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back