Old oil, LOW miles: The TRUTH please?!

Hello!

My wife and I have a handful of cars that are just driven in the summer once the roadstalt (look it up) has all melted away and before its used again, so in LOVELY Rochester, thats from mid April til mid October MAYBE. The rest of the time they are stored in garages with Mobil 1 and Wix filters.

We care about these cars very much even though they arent expensive, so I dont MIND changing the oil regardless of miles, but it just seems like a waste. They are parked inside in October and not started until mid April.

DOES oil really need to be changed just from time? and if so, whats the truth about how often?

Mobil 1/Wix or genuine Toyota filters.

Thanks

Hello!

My wife and I have a handful of cars that are just driven in the summer once the roadstalt (look it up) has all melted away and before its used again, so in LOVELY Rochester, thats from mid April til mid October MAYBE. The rest of the time they are stored in garages with Mobil 1 and Wix filters.

We care about these cars very much even though they arent expensive, so I dont MIND changing the oil regardless of miles, but it just seems like a waste. They are parked inside in October and not started until mid April.

DOES oil really need to be changed just from time? and if so, whats the truth about how often?

Thanks
TIME IS NOT AS IMPORTANT WITH MODERN OILS. MILES MATTER. CHANGE EVERY 2 YEARS IF MILES DO NOT EXCEED 5000 IN THIS 2 YEAR TIME FRAME AND YOU'LL BE GOOD.

The temperature and humidity present where they are stored matters, too. The truth depends on the circumstances. It’s not just a matter of age, or miles, it’s a matter of relative, humidity, of how well the engine is sealed, and how much moisture gets inside it. Clean, dry, climate controlled. Years.

Humid, big temperature swings - annually.

When the temperature changes a lot, the relative humidity in the air changes a lot. Causes condensation. Those big temperature swings move air in and out of the engine, couple air, moving in and out with condensation, and you’ll want to get rid of the oil sooner.

But if the car is in a climate controlled facility where the temperature doesn’t change much, and the relative humidity is low, and the oil is good for many years

A few existing threads on this popular topic:

This question has been asked many times by many people (including by me earlier this year). You can do a quick search to review all those threads (as already provided by kschachn), but I think I can save you the trouble as I've not only asked about this but also searched the subject extensively:

The answer to your question is that it's not really known how long you can go between changes with low miles. There is no real consensus here on the question because no one has ever done a rigorous study of the question to provide the data necessary to answer it.

Despite not having a real answer, members here will provide the following information in an effort to help:

1) Two years (and maybe three) is fine for both the oil and filter.
2) You will be advised that more short tripping (without full warmup of the oil) means you'll need to change at least yearly.
3) If your engine has issues with blow-by, you should change at least yearly.
4) Temperature and humidity of your climate will play an important role in how long you can go between changes.

Based on all that, my decision has been to just play it safe and change my oil yearly even if the miles are low. The great deals I've found on this forum for both oil and filters somewhat mitigate the sense of waste that you mention (and I feel as well).

If whatever you have been doing seems to be working , no reason to change . That's MY advice and it has worked well for me . You do you .

I LOOKED it up but thought MAYbe you meant Roadsalt? ;)
Maybe roadstalt melts? Road salt gets washed away by rain, though... Oh, and multi-year OCIs are better done with a full synthetic media oil filter-switch to Wix XP, Fram Endurance, Amsoil EaO, or similar. Cellulose media filters really shouldn't go over a year.

Hello!

Thanks
How about giving us the prior five summertime mileages for these five vehicles driven April thru October? After you list the mileage, put a C or H to indicate if that particular vehicle was used for city driving mostly, or highway.
Low miles highway and kept indoors during the winter may allow you two year OCIs.
Higher miles and city driving may be best to change once a year.
etc.......etc.......etc.

I got what I need :) thanks all. I hate to waste oil but I hate more to waste a motor lol

This got me thinking I am not even sure if I want to drive the Majesta to my shop 10 minutes away. Oil is 2 years maybe a bit more. But only a few hundred miles. Guess I’ll bring the ramps home

Back