Stick with what works or change it up…

Plotting and scheming on the next oil change for the Hyundai… It is my daughter’s car and it isn’t driven more than a few miles at a time around town. The original owner says the vehicle got only quick lube service with mostly blends at 6 months or 5K miles. Can’t argue with the results as the vehicle has over 200K miles and is still going.

Pertinent Info:
  • 2015 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L
  • +200K miles on original engine
  • Doesn’t consume or dilute at least not noticeably anyways
  • Currently running VL 5W30 blend and economy filter
  • Short trips around town only. No highway use. Less than 3000 miles a year. Car is seeing significantly less miles per year than with the previous owner.
  • Texas weather
  • Vehicle owned for only a few months
Potential options:
  • 5W30 blend and economy filter at 6 month interval. Fall and spring most likely. Stick with what has worked.
  • 5W30 FS and premium filter at one year interval. Spring or summer most likely. Change it up.
I plan to stick with 5W30 and what is readily available. Quick lubes aren’t using boutique oils by any means so any name or store brand will do. I’m certain either option would be perfectly fine but thought why not get feedback from the crew.

Just technical info and recommendations based on facts - no banter please… I wouldn’t want this place to be mistaken for a social media or anything 😉 Kidding of course banter away.

For the cost you’ll probably be better off going with a full synthetic I wouldn’t get worked up on a filter choice either. Some might say once a yr oc. I’d do it every 6 months.

I’m impressed it still runs - those 1.8Ls have real piston issues. Most of the ones I have worked on have exhibited piston slap.

Any piston slap on yours when it is cold?

For the cost you’ll probably be better off going with a full synthetic I wouldn’t get worked up on a filter choice either. Some might say once a yr oc. I’d do it every 6 months.
Not really worried on cost. It is a factor, but let’s be real, one change versus two isn’t a significant savings. I was thinking Fram Ultra for one year would do nicely. Maybe ST or Fram EG for six months.

I’m impressed it still runs - those 1.8Ls have real piston issues. Most of the ones I have worked on have exhibited piston slap.

Any piston slap on yours when it is cold?
Nope. Valve train is ticky though. Based on 200,000 miles in less than 10 years, it has gotten a lot of highway use. It is probably gonna see some abuse now with a teenager and short trips… So we’ll see what happens.

Based on the fact that this car is habitually short-tripped, which means probably most of the time the oil isn't getting up to full temperature, I would change the oil every six months due to condensation buildup.

At that low of mileage though, I personally wouldn't change the filter every six months.

I'd do a 6 month schedule with whatever is cheapest if you actually don't mind the labor.

I tried doing annuals for the family but lots of important things get neglected like tire pressure and general inspection.

In my opinion.
Change oil with the cheapest that is SAE SP approved twice a year. Doesn't have to be synthetic.
A good oil filter every second oil change.
The Hyundai filter is a good filter for the money. $10 each in my neighborhood.

Based on the fact that this car is habitually short-tripped, which means probably most of the time the oil isn't getting up to full temperature, I would change the oil every six months due to condensation buildup.

At that low of mileage though, I personally wouldn't change the filter every six months.
Whoa - plot twist!

That is a good potential third option I hadn’t considered. Cheapest blend 5W30 on sale at six months but a yearly oil filter. I like it.

Plotting and scheming on the next oil change for the Hyundai… It is my daughter’s car and it isn’t driven more than a few miles at a time around town. The original owner says the vehicle got only quick lube service with mostly blends at 6 months or 5K miles. Can’t argue with the results as the vehicle has over 200K miles and is still going.

Pertinent Info:
  • 2015 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L
  • +200K miles on original engine
  • Doesn’t consume or dilute at least not noticeably anyways
  • Currently running VL 5W30 blend and economy filter
  • Short trips around town only. No highway use. Less than 3000 miles a year. Car is seeing significantly less miles per year than with the previous owner.
  • Texas weather
  • Vehicle owned for only a few months
Potential options:
  • 5W30 blend and economy filter at 6 month interval. Fall and spring most likely. Stick with what has worked.
  • 5W30 FS and premium filter at one year interval. Spring or summer most likely. Change it up.
I plan to stick with 5W30 and what is readily available. Quick lubes aren’t using boutique oils by any means so any name or store brand will do. I’m certain either option would be perfectly fine but thought why not get feedback from the crew.

Just technical info and recommendations based on facts - no banter please… I wouldn’t want this place to be mistaken for a social media or anything 😉 Kidding of course banter away.
If it ain't broke;.........................

I’m gonna mix it up again! Maybe I’m too confident in the modern oil specs but I’d run any SP rated oil and a quality filter all year.

Back