QSFS at 5k OCI or HPL PCMO at 10k OCI?

Really though, if you are going to do changes at 10k miles or under, HPL is a waste of money, I'd go with off the shelf oil.
The way I see it: if I am spending less than $112.99 (Jiffy Lube price for a 5-qt syn oil service) every 5K, I don't lose too much sleep about it.

I run short OCI with the cheapest crap I can find, and I get this: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...vers-395-000-miles-nissan-xterra-vq40.376175/

I might buy HPL and run it to 6K some day. I hear its really good stuff.
HPL is a great oil. It cleans out your engine while it protects.
I use HPL's EC30, and it cleans better than the solvent based engine flushes in my opinion.

That being said, I'm a big fan of using low priced full synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 3 oils with short OCI's.
SuperTech and Quaker State seem to give the best value for each dollar spent.

The way I see it: if I am spending less than $112.99 (Jiffy Lube price for a 5-qt syn oil service) every 5K, I don't lose too much sleep about it.
Agree with you. Just that the value of the oil is also in its extended drain capability. If he is not going for that, then....

I run it, as i like the company and chose to support it.

I spend $18.98 minus $1 for Walmart credit card 5% cash back = $18 for the SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 5 quart jug + $3.50 for the Fram Extra Guard PH-7317 filter on Amazon subscribe and save, and $16 labor at my local tire shop for the oil change labor = $37.50 + tax total for an oil change.

It's crazy if Jiffy Lube is charging $112.99 for this. Who even knows if their bulk synthetic oil is really synthetic.

It's crazy if Jiffy Lube is charging $112.99 for this. Who even knows if their bulk synthetic oil is really synthetic.
Go to the jiffy lube website and look it up for yourself. Prices vary slightly by area, but if you input the vehicle info, they will give you a price.

I spend $18.98 minus $1 for Walmart credit card 5% cash back = $18 for the SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 5 quart jug + $3.50 for the Fram Extra Guard PH-7317 filter on Amazon subscribe and save, and $16 labor at my local tire shop for the oil change labor = $37.50 + tax total for an oil change.

Just looked, $119 for full synthetic for my truck at JiffyLube…. Or the same amount it costs me to use HPL and a Mobil 1 filter.

Just looked, $119 for full synthetic for my truck at JiffyLube…. Or the same amount it costs me to use HPL and a Mobil 1 filter.
So in the end you are paying shop prices for a DIY job.

Because I am a QS fan I will use QS as an example.

$21.48 for QSFS
$12.97 for FRAM Synthetic Endurance (This is the filter OP chose)

Total $34.45 (Excluding tax) and 10-15 minutes of your time.

That is Walmart prices. And you said it yourself $119 is the same amount it would cost you to run HPL, I could do 3 oil changes and it would still be cheaper.

$21.48 for QSFS

That is Walmart prices. And you said it yourself $119 is the same amount it would cost you to run HPL, I could do 3 oil changes and it would still be cheaper.
The Fram Extra Guard PH-xxxx filters on Amazon subscribe and save are only $3.50. The provide 95% efficiency @ > 20 microns.
Not as good as the Fram Synthetic Endurance, but close enough where having another $10 in your wallet with the lower cost filter might be tempting.

$21.48 for QSFS

One of my vehicles needs 7 quarts and the other needs 6, I couldn’t do $34 even if I wanted.

IMG_9448.jpeg

Go to the jiffy lube website and look it up for yourself. Prices vary slightly by area, but if you input the vehicle info, they will give you a price.
That would explain Walmart's popularity, or maybe why people don't change there oil. If your at the end of the month and your choice is oil change or groceries, easy choice.

The Toyota dealer here is I think $89. Walmart will do full syn for 45 and conventional for 35 + tax.

The Fram Extra Guard PH-xxxx filters on Amazon subscribe and save are only $3.50. The provide 95% efficiency @ > 20 microns.
Not as good as the Fram Synthetic Endurance, but close enough where having another $10 in your wallet with the lower cost filter might be tempting.
I went with one of the most expensive filters because it proves the point even better, and it is what OP says he runs.

But yes that is one way to cut the cost down even further, and people could run Supertech oil to save a few dollars more.

Would you know what differentiates the QSFS (10k) and QSUP (20k). Is it just marketing, or is the QSUP have better base oils that would allow it to last 20k miles?
From what I remember from the SDS, the full synthetic is Grp III (nothing wrong with that) and the Ultimate is GTL based. Add packs are otherwise pretty much ringers for each other.

The franchising company knows. The operators are constantly audited. If they're found to be misrepresenting the products they're selling in their services it could be very costly.

Given the condition the OP stated, and I'll presume the engines are in good operational condition with no contamination issues:
- QSFS for 10k, or
- HPL for a min of 20k

Anytime you go into extended OCIs, UOAs are a near-necessity.

From what I remember from the SDS, the full synthetic is Grp III (nothing wrong with that) and the Ultimate is GTL based. Add packs are otherwise pretty much ringers for each other.
The Quaker State Ultimate Protection 20,000 mile oil goes on sale at Walmart very frequently for $21.60 for a 5 quart jog, which is a great price for a 20,000 mile GTL based 5W-30 oil. Also, another Quaker State hidden gem: Quaker State Euro Acea A3/B4 5W-40 for about $21 on Walmart's website. I'm really starting to like the Quaker State brand. Very high quality oils at very low prices.

Given the condition the OP stated, and I'll presume the engines are in good operational condition with no contamination issues:
- QSFS for 10k, or
- HPL for a min of 20k

Anytime you go into extended OCIs, UOAs are a near-necessity.

What do you think of the Quaker State Ultimate Protection 5W-30 which Quaker State markets as a 20,000 mile oil?
KCJeep mentioned above that it is Gas to Liquid (GTL) based. In your opinion, would it be safe to run it for 20k miles?

. Also, another Quaker State hidden gem: Quaker State Euro Acea A3/B4 5W-40 for about $21 on Walmart's website. I'm really starting to like the Quaker State brand. Very high quality oils at very low prices.
Agreed, I have been using that in the wife’s Edge since 30k and have enough stashed for another 70k or so. Bought a bunch on clearance at Wally’s when they were moving out the SN+ to make way for SP.

Does it have to be one of those two mentioned? @tig1 and a few other M1 users have proven that Mobil one is more than capable of 10K oci’s. Would be cheaper than HPL if not going to use HPL to its full potential which has been shown on here to well beyond 10K

Back