QSFS at 5k OCI or HPL PCMO at 10k OCI?

Hello everyone,

I am currently using QSFS 5w30 in several of my vehicles with a 5k OCI. None of my vehicles are turbo charged, DI, or have any fuel dilution issues and all of them have over 150k miles on them (mostly highway). I am currently using fram synthetic endurance oil filters. I was wondering if any of y'all think it is better to keep my current oil and filter schedule or might I be better off running one of the HPL oils with the same filter but extending my OCI to 10k? I appreciate any thoughts you might have, Thank You!

QSFS is a very good oil and although I do not believe in extended intervals it is capable of 10k miles depending on the engine, you could also consider running their Ultimate Protection which is rated to 20,000 miles.

And you should also consider the price, doing 2 oil changes of Quakerstate is still considerably cheaper than 1 oil change of HPL.

I'd say welcome sparky since it's your first post though you've been on here for 2 years before i joined.

I switched from 0w-20 to QS 5w-40 early on in my 21 escalade with 22k miles that's still under both warranties and i have a gdi but non turbo engine that isn't known for dilution or lspi so that's no concern. I'd have no worries taking it to the dealer for any engine work it would need. Also saw no change in mpg and i reset every fill up.

I can use a higher saps oil if i wanted and so can you. I might switch it to 15w-40 since it doesn't get cold enough to matter down here in Texas. I do 9-12k on my old gmc trucks with whatever cheapest 15w-40 and they cleaned my rings and greatly reduced my oil consumption after using them over the years though it's a slow cleaning as i did extended drains even with a dirty engine. The volvo vds 4.5 is a great diesel rating that tests for extended drains, oxidation resistance, and cleanliness. If i were to have changed that 15w-40 early at 5-6k instead of 9-12k it would have cleaned faster but it still cleaned the 6k olm changes i did with regular pcmo 5w-30 before.

You could easily do 10k with hpl so i think i'd suggest 15k if you're doing mostly highway and not idling a lot but even then m1 extended protection will also do well. I believe you've seen wwilsons progressive uoa's with hpl that he updates on.

Being me i'd just use quaker state 5w-40 and change it every 10k as that's easy for a euro oil with the ll-01 rating in a naturally aspirated port injected engine like yours doing highway miles. I wasn't a believer in long intervals with a stout oil until i tried it and it still ended up cleaning my rings and almost stopping consumption after a while of using it and never using any engine additives or flushes.

Last edited:
I think this is something some of us debate internally with quite a bit (at least I do)…should I extend to 10,000 miles using a boutique oil? Or should I just stick to 5,000 mile intervals using an off the shelf lower priced synthetic?

Why not try both? I have, and I don’t regret it. Truth is, if you’re on here you like oil, you like talking oil and oil change intervals. Have fun with it, don’t limit yourself - your car really won’t care either way.

I want to thank everyone that has replied so far, You Are All Awesome! Like most of you, I tend to overthink these things. I have tentatively decided that I need to have UOAs done on my vehicles to give me a base line and determine if I can comfortably extend my OCI with QSFS or not. If the UOA's pan out, I will push them to a max of 10K OCI and consider the issue resolved. If not, I will try QS Ultimate Protection to 10k OCI and then go to the HPL oils to 10K OCI just to satisfy my curiosity. Unfortunately, something is wrong with my brain and I cannot bring myself to do an oil change without changing the filter so I will continue to use the fram synthetic endurance filters until I find a filter that I like better. I honestly do not think that there is a "one size fits all" answer to my question as there are too many variables to account for and everyone's circumstances are different. I am going to take doublebases advice and "have fun with it" I do realize that likely "my cars won't care either way" That said, Y'all have given me some very valid input. I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond Thank You!

I like your approach doing UOAs with each of the three oils, and deciding to go longer only if the UOAs look good.
To answer your original question between those two choices, I would do QSFS at 5k intervals. Clean oil is the best oil.
Also, you're currently using QSFS on multiple vehicles, all over 150k and doing fine... keep doing what works.

QSFS is a very good oil and although I do not believe in extended intervals it is capable of 10k miles depending on the engine, you could also consider running their Ultimate Protection which is rated to 20,000 miles.

And you should also consider the price, doing 2 oil changes of Quakerstate is still considerably cheaper than 1 oil change of HPL.
Would you know what differentiates the QSFS (10k) and QSUP (20k). Is it just marketing, or is the QSUP have better base oils that would allow it to last 20k miles?

Would you know what differentiates the QSFS (10k) and QSUP (20k). Is it just marketing, or is the QSUP have better base oils that would allow it to last 20k miles?
The additive packs seem fairly similar so my guess is most likely different base stocks. I highly doubt it is just marketing when it comes to QS.

Might be something to contact them and ask about.

I want to thank everyone that has replied so far, You Are All Awesome! Like most of you, I tend to overthink these things. I have tentatively decided that I need to have UOAs done on my vehicles to give me a base line and determine if I can comfortably extend my OCI with QSFS or not. If the UOA's pan out, I will push them to a max of 10K OCI and consider the issue resolved. If not, I will try QS Ultimate Protection to 10k OCI and then go to the HPL oils to 10K OCI just to satisfy my curiosity. Unfortunately, something is wrong with my brain and I cannot bring myself to do an oil change without changing the filter so I will continue to use the fram synthetic endurance filters until I find a filter that I like better. I honestly do not think that there is a "one size fits all" answer to my question as there are too many variables to account for and everyone's circumstances are different. I am going to take doublebases advice and "have fun with it" I do realize that likely "my cars won't care either way" That said, Y'all have given me some very valid input. I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond Thank You!
You have come to a smart conclusion. If there are enough of the same vehicles out with UOAs posted of various oil changes, interevals, and operating conditions, you can get a good idea of what safe intervals are. Otherwise, you and everyone else are just guessing.

While people are very excited about the HPL, it is also very expensive, $15-18 a quart. That is more than 2.5x the cost of Mobil 1 (including the extended performance), 3x the cost of your current QSUP, and significantly more than Amsoil with preferred pricing of $7.50 - $11.89 a quart, depending on the version. I cannot help but to think for your proposed use, the Mobil 1 EP is going to provide equivalent wear numbers for far less money.

I would stay away from the HPL as it's expensive and I don't see an API logo on the bottle.
As for the QS, it appears you drive mostly highway miles, so a 10,000 mi OCI should be doable.

I would stay away from the HPL as it's expensive and I don't see an API logo on the bottle.
As for the QS, it appears you drive mostly highway miles, so a 10,000 mi OCI should be doable.
while it is expensive, not having the API logo doesn’t count it out. it’s shown here what the oil is capable of. look up wwillsons last run in his durango.

Hello everyone,

I am currently using QSFS 5w30 in several of my vehicles with a 5k OCI. None of my vehicles are turbo charged, DI, or have any fuel dilution issues and all of them have over 150k miles on them (mostly highway). I am currently using fram synthetic endurance oil filters. I was wondering if any of y'all think it is better to keep my current oil and filter schedule or might I be better off running one of the HPL oils with the same filter but extending my OCI to 10k? I appreciate any thoughts you might have, Thank You!
I use HPL, on my first run in my vehicles. Will do uoa's when i change.

Really though, if you are going to do changes at 10k miles or under, HPL is a waste of money, I'd go with off the shelf oil.

I am in the same boat except with Amsoil SS/ PUP or Euro L. Or maybe Valvoline R&P. Also wondering if i should go up a grade in summer 20-30. 2019 Ram Hemi. Sigh. Why do we have to be like this?

Back