Reason NOT to use Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cp3
Any chance that this will be a 2011 model with the dexos 1 specification?

Nope, 2010.

Kevin

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Based on testing that Terry and RI_RS4 did a while back. A non-turbo DI engine that is driven normally may not have any problems that RLI could fix.

How did they demonstrate that RLI ran cleaner/lasted longer than RL/M1/PP in DI engines?

Oil analysis results showing the RLI was holding up while all the others had degraded significantly in the first one or two thousand miles. Some of the oils held up better than others but none near as good as the special RLI 5W-40 blend. Also, pictures of the intake valve port area showing the much improved results when using the RLI for many thousand more miles than the others. Did you read all of these posts? I have never personally used RLI yet.

Cost is about the only reason....seems to be lots of decent oils to choose from for your run of the mill production engines at half the price.
I'd question whether you get twice the protection or twice the extended OCI for twice the money it costs to buy Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: gaspo
Originally Posted By: Rohan
Isn't royal purple best oil to?

All Royal stuff must be good – right?...Right??
grin2.gif
Not sure about oil but I like their oil filters – they overpriced a little but I don’t cheap on quality stuff.

So u saying they not good but they are over priced on oil?

My personal experience (nothing "scientific" mind you, just watching it in action over 100s of thousands of miles in high use\abuse vehicles) is Amsoil is as good as it gets. The only issues are availability and cost. If you do extended (over 10K) oil changes then it makes sense price wise. If you dont, it probably wont. If safe extended OCIs are the goal and you dont mind the hassle with availability, its the ticket.

Although I keep an eye on information related to Amsoil, I have never seriously considered using their products because:

1. The makers of Amsoil avoid independent certifications.

2. The makers of Amsoil present inappropriate test results as proof of product quality.

3. I don't trust the makers of Amsoil based upon points 1 and 2.

4. I don't like the makers of Amsoil based upon points 1 and 2.

Note that points 3 and 4 are separate. Regarding point 3, if the quality of Amsoil products were proven to me, I might use their products. However, regarding point 4, if the quality of Amsoil products were proven to me... I would still avoid Amsoil products, as a matter of principle. A manufacturer simply should not act in so shady and deceptive a manner.

1) Actually Amsoil has been clear over the years why they get some certs, and why they don't get others. Redline has what "independent" certs?

2) Which tests are those? Yeah OK Amsoil doesn't make frivolous sludge commercials for TV, or claim xx% cleaning ability, or claim x% mpg improvement claims. Oil companies have made such claims. Inappropriate?

3 and 4 - so do you avoid Redline? Castrol? Royal Purple? I guess, I'm asking if you are consistent, or is this just an Amsoil thing?

Originally Posted By: buster
You're wasting your time/money if you are changing it @ 5k mile intervals. Use PYB.

My thoughts exactly.
You can eventually switch over to PP and do 7500 mi OCI's if you want to stretch it out a bit. I also don't have the 'guts' to go over 8K on an oil change.

Originally Posted By: sbergman27
Although I keep an eye on information related to Amsoil, I have never seriously considered using their products because:

1. The makers of Amsoil avoid independent certifications.

2. The makers of Amsoil present inappropriate test results as proof of product quality.

3. I don't trust the makers of Amsoil based upon points 1 and 2.

4. I don't like the makers of Amsoil based upon points 1 and 2.

Note that points 3 and 4 are separate. Regarding point 3, if the quality of Amsoil products were proven to me, I might use their products. However, regarding point 4, if the quality of Amsoil products were proven to me... I would still avoid Amsoil products, as a matter of principle. A manufacturer simply should not act in so shady and deceptive a manner.

Amsoil is a reputable blender. I prefer meeting industry standards to ensure quality, but I also understand why the smaller companies avoid it. Amsoil likes the flexibility.

Not all small blenders I trust. I prefer to use API licensed oils, but hold companies like Amsoil & Redline in high regard. They have a long history of making high quality oils.

They will work with the additive companies and use SWRI for testing.

They have also been 30 years ahead of the curve by promoting extended drain intervals.

Originally Posted By: yellolab
1) Taking delivery of a 2.4 liter DI engine soon(CHevy Equinox)
2) Own a 2008 Harley.

Any reason not to join the PC Amsoil, and just go Amsoil ??

How do their filters rate?

I see Ultra, Redline, and others are universally liked here. But price aside(seems Amsoil is a little more cash), any reason to not use Amsoil ?

I mean, is Amsoil pretty much "the best", if I had to pick something and be sure I was getting top of the line stuff? Not interested in "best value", just "best".

Kevin
I wouldn't say Amsoil is the best. It is a fine oil though, as many are. If you think Amsoil will make you happy use it ,it will do the job for you and then some.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
1) Actually Amsoil has been clear over the years why they get some certs,

They have equivocated upon and evaded the issues.

Quote:
Redline has what "independent" certs?

If Redline also avoids independent certs, then they would fall into the same category as Amsoil in that respect. Have they also presented inappropriate test results as surrogates? I've not been particularly attentive regarding Redline.

Quote:
2) Which tests are those?

Four ball wear? But you certainly know that. It's common knowledge, certainly. That test is appropriate for gear oil but not engine oil. You know that, too. And yet Amsoil uses it as the cornerstone of their marketing campaign, which I do not find to be confidence inspiring.

Quote:
3 and 4 - so do you avoid Redline? Castrol? Royal Purple? I guess, I'm asking if you are consistent, or is this just an Amsoil thing?

I've not been particularly interested in Redline or Royal Purple. If they avoid third party certifications, I would certainly be suspicious. Amsoil is the only company which has come to my attention as going further and presenting deceptive information in the form of irrelevant but official sounding test results.

Castrol, in the form of GC, has made more of an appearance on my radar. API SL rated. Lot's of good "word of mouth" advertising going for it. I've chosen not to use it since the features of SM/GF4 appeal to me.

So no, it's not an Amsoil-hate thing, which is what I think you are asking. Amsoil has, however, dug itself a deeper hole to climb out of regarding my own personal trust in them.

I think that it's unfair to single out Amsoil as a company that engages in questionable marketing practices. All the oil companies do.

I don't use Amsoil, mainly because I'm not interested in pushing OCIs to the max. I have absolutely no doubt they are among the best, if not the best, at doing that.

I do respect the Amsoil reps on this site. Unlike the big oil companies, none of the reps consider their product to be the best oil for everyone in every vehicle under all circumstances and conditions. That creates a lot of good will, if you ask me.

From what I have heard about Amsoil, is that they meet all API Certifications, but do not pay for the actual licensing. Why, is beyond me, since it costs ~$700,000 to pass the API SM/Ilsac GF-4 engine tests, which I'm assuming they (or their additive supplier) pay for.

I've heard with the their extreme drain interval guarantee that they have around 1 claim per year, and that 1 claim is usually not lubricant related.

I've also heard that it will be ~$800,000 to pass Dexos 1 ALONE.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I think that it's unfair to single out Amsoil as a company that engages in questionable marketing practices. All the oil companies do.

I don't use Amsoil, mainly because I'm not interested in pushing OCIs to the max. I have absolutely no doubt they are among the best, if not the best, at doing that.

I do respect the Amsoil reps on this site. Unlike the big oil companies, none of the reps consider their product to be the best oil for everyone in every vehicle under all circumstances and conditions. That creates a lot of good will, if you ask me.

The reps on this site are stand up guys! Reading a thread on the other site has my head spinning, that rep should learn from these guys here! Nice job Gary and Pablo!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Originally Posted By: Garak

The reps on this site are stand up guys! Reading a thread on the other site has my head spinning, that rep should learn from these guys here! Nice job Gary and Pablo!

I agree.

Gary and Pablo are stand up guys.
thumbsup2.gif

+1 for Pablo and Gary

I used Amsoil for a period of time. Motor oil, gear oil, and tranny fluids. They make a top notch product, and unlike lots of companies nowadays, they ACTUALLY stand behind their product. I just stopped using it for cost reasons. I don't drive vehicles that truly take advantage of synthetic fluids, so I stick to whatever I can find at a reasonable price. No knock on Amsoil though.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Gary and Pablo are stand up guys.
thumbsup2.gif

So is this thread about reasons not to use Amsoil, or about whether Pablo and Gary are good people? Those are completely different issues. If you guys want to have a thread about how great (or not) Pablo, Gary, or any other forum member is, why not start a separate thread about that rather than hijacking this one, which is about the relative benefits (or not) of Amsoil's products?

Maybe start a thread about why a particular poster can be such an ___about the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back